Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain along outer side of kneecap?  (Read 3161 times)

Offline arrows

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Pain along outer side of kneecap?
« on: March 24, 2003, 06:07:16 PM »
Weightlifting for past several month including a lot of leg work squats etc. with no problems. Recently took up Tae Kwon Do and a lot of  stretching and kicking. Maybe overdid it a bit. Now have slight swelling and pain along right side of kneecap. Also pain behind knee to the right. No pain bending knee to 90 degrees but if I pull it in tighter than that the pain in both areas increases.

I have good mobility and still can do cardio work rowing, stepping machine and stationary bike and once warmed up I feel pretty good. I've backed off from heavy legwork and just using light weights for now ( my own idea of rehab) but after my workout the swelling and tightness returns.

I'd rather work through this. I don't mind backing off on my training loads or time but complete rest is not what I want to hear. Compared to some of the knee problems I've seen on this site I this may trivial but it's big to me and don't want to do further damage if it's serious. It's been bothering me for about 3 weeks now.

What is it and what should I do?

Thanks,
Rich

Offline AJK

• Regular Poster
  • D'oh!!! My knees hurt!!!
Re: Pain along outer side of kneecap?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2003, 07:27:21 PM »
I think the best advice is to go and see a doctor, Othapedic surgeon specializing in knees, it really can't hurt.  From what you describe it sounds like Patella Femoral Pain (that is pain from the knee cap) - I know it sounds general but there are many reasons for it including maltracking, malalignment, foot and ankle problems  and weak qaud muscles.  Your doc will probably suggest Physical Therapy and maybe anti-inflamitories.  
But then again I'm no doctor, just a kneegeek.  
Hope you feel better.... and go see the doctor!!!
-AJK
Condromalacia Patella
95-99 Bilateral PAIN! OWCH and a lot of PT
99- Bilateral Lateral Release (arthroscopic)
02- PAINS BACK
4/03 TTT Fulkerson & Open LR on R knee - 2 screws

Offline AJK

• Regular Poster
  • D'oh!!! My knees hurt!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »
BTW if you need more info try posting under the Petella-Femoral section on this forum
Condromalacia Patella
95-99 Bilateral PAIN! OWCH and a lot of PT
99- Bilateral Lateral Release (arthroscopic)
02- PAINS BACK
4/03 TTT Fulkerson & Open LR on R knee - 2 screws

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 08:33:51 PM »
Rich,

Pain on the outside (lateral side) of the knee could be from several things.  You might want to look up ilio-tibial band syndrome (ITBS--there's some info on KneeGuru and also a list of websites in a post under the Overuse Injuries topic).  If it's not popping, catching, or locking, it's probably not a meniscus tear.  The pain could be from chondromalacia (softening of the articular cartilage), but something else has to cause chondromalacia--it doesn't just appear.  For example, it's possible that you've overdeveloped one muscle in your quads, which could throw the knee off balance and cause pain (this is a common source of knee pain and can happen to people who are in very good shape).

Maybe you should back off some of your activity for a while to see if the irritation heals.  It would probably do you some good to consult an orthopedic surgeon, who can refer you to a physical therapist, who can tell you what you should and shouldn't be doing when you're in pain.  For now, ice and elevate the knee right after you exercise, and take an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen or naproxen sodium).

Don't try to self-diagnose; get to an OS who can get you on the right track before this becomes a serious problem.  Good luck, and keep us posted!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 10:12:36 PM »
Is it the right knee you are referring to? Regarding some of the earlier posts, here is an article on ITFBS, which discusses tests you might be interested in.
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0168-knee-injuries.htm
and also a general article on knee injury in weightlifters
http://www.qwa.org/articles/emasters.asp
KNEEguru
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 10:19:04 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

support