Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: what is oats and how quick is recovery  (Read 3411 times)

Offline silatsurlot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
what is oats and how quick is recovery
« on: February 03, 2006, 02:26:26 PM »
Hi i'm new to this board and due to have an oats procedure within next few months for a osteo chondral lesion on my right knee... can anyone out there tell me what to expect for recovery. O.S just said 3 day stay, 2nd day cpm machine and 6-8 weeks non weight bearing ???
If anyone from u.k. also had this would be interested to know how they faired as know treatments seem to differ in U.S.
Thanks
Lorraine :-*

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: what is oats and how quick is recovery
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 02:36:32 PM »
OATS is where they take a plug of cartilage from a non-weight-bearing part of the knee, and use it to fill your hole.  For larger lesions, they may use a cadaver plug.  Basically, it's used to repair focal lesions, or potholes in your articular cartilage.

Recovery is long - there are a number of threads on the board, but think 6 months minimum to start going back to any type of sports.

Good luck-
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline silatsurlot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 10:52:28 AM »
thanks for that. I do martial arts so 6 months out is a long time. Am trrying to get knee as strong as poss before i go in for surgery.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
I gave up martial arts for the knee - so i know where you're coming from.  Depending on the location of your lesion, you will want to be VERY careful returning to the mats.  Make sure you talk to your OS and your insutructor to ensure the safety of your graft and your continued knee health.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline silatsurlot

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
Being very careful just doing warm up and non contact kicks. My martial art is Silat so a bit more gentle than taekwondo. Have very good instructor who is also an osteopath so getting great support from him. Just want to get the op over and done with so that i can hopefully get rid of the pain. :)

Offline ekbote

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »
It sounds like OATS is for plugging missing cartilage or lessions. I don't have lessions but I do have soft cartilage. What is the treatment for that?

OATS is where they take a plug of cartilage from a non-weight-bearing part of the knee, and use it to fill your hole.  For larger lesions, they may use a cadaver plug.  Basically, it's used to repair focal lesions, or potholes in your articular cartilage.

Recovery is long - there are a number of threads on the board, but think 6 months minimum to start going back to any type of sports.

Good luck-
Jess

Offline JulieRose6

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:56 AM »
Hey I'm just a month out of surgery as of last friday. I am able to walk but lifting is hard for me. I am unable to work and have to stay off my leg a lot because of the pain, believe me this is a painful surgery it sucks a lot. Well from what my doctor and research has told me is they drill a hole out of your knee cap where it is damaged and put a donor in that area. Its pretty evasive I have a 4 1/2 inch scar across my kneecap right now. I have the pictures from the surgery if you want me to send it maybe it will help you understand a little better. Just remember to take it easy after surgery if you push yourself you will be feeling it for days believe me on that. If you have any other questions you want to ask me while I am recovering feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Julie
Arthoscopic (3/2002)
Fulkerson/Lateral Release/Arthoscopic (12/2002)
Arthoscopic/ Screw Removal (10/2003)
Arthoscopic (12/2006)
Oats Procedure (3/2008)
Partial Knee Replacement (11/09)
Partial Knee Replacement (6/10)

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
Hi silatsurlot?

I too am having this procedure in the UK on June 30th this year.  Like you i have many questions, speak to Julie she has been very reassuring to me and able to answer some questions.  Talk to me too, we may be able to help each other later in the year.

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09