Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Drugs for nerve pain  (Read 2130 times)

Offline jillycats

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Drugs for nerve pain
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:52:31 PM »
Hi All

I saw my consultant this week and he has prescribed me some tablets for the pain I'm getting from the nerve damage around my knee. The tablets are carbamazepine (Tegretol) commonly used for epilepsy. They don't say anything about being used for general nerve injury/pain. Has anyone else had these? How effective were they? Any long term effects? They seem to be helping so far, but I wondered what the long term prospects are.

Jilly
Oct 00  - judo injury - broke tibia, dislocated knee, damaged all ligaments, nerve injury. Initial LCL and MCL recon. July 01 - arthroscopy and removal of hardware. April 02 - further LCL repair July 02 - PCL recon Oct 05 - removal of hardware, removal of excess bone growth, double arthroscopy.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Drugs for nerve pain
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 08:14:10 PM »
Many tablets both for epilepsy and depression are used for nervpain.
Though I'm a bite surprized that you get Tegretol, a very old fashioned med, as there are betters with not as many side effects as this one have. I would really discuss with them about other ones as these are most common in giving side effects. I don't want to scare you but I had such terrible effects of these that I got so sick as you can be. I developed at same time allergy against the other meds I had, I had my tablets Tegretol against epilepsy.
If you want more info just ask questions and I will try answer them.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:07:44 AM »
I was given Neurotonin for nerve pain and I also tried Lexipro. I am not positive about the lexipro (if it was for nerve pain or not) but I am sure of the neurotonin. I am also surprised that your OS gave you such an old medicine for the nerve pain. there are many new ones out there.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline abicham

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • sports, sex and sun!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 12:25:47 PM »
Hi Jilly,

I also took some anti-epileptic drops combined with anti-depressant drops for a nerve injury when I broke my pelvis last year. They worked wonders on me as I went from not being able to walk or sit to living normally again. However, I have had a very bad knee after landing a jump skiing in October and although I do have a little damage to the cartilage behind the patella, the pain is too important compared to the injury and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my nervous system and to the drops I have been taking for more than 8 months now. This is just a supposition and it is totally unfounded, but I am just trying to find the solution to my problem as I haven't been able to walk or weightbare properly for 3 and 1/2 months now.
Good luck!
Broken pelvis 2004, pudendal nevralgia march 2005, chronic knee pain since October.

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 12:52:36 PM »
Hi Jilly

I've done quite a bit of research into this as I too have nerve damage in my knee.  I was prescribed anti-depressants for mine but didn't take them.  Having looked into the side effects they out-weighed the good effects.

As Nettan said both epilespy and depression drugs are used to treat nerve pain. Here's a research paper that I found on the subject that might give you some more answers.

www.aafp.org/afp/20050201/483.html

Good luck
Beth x
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline jillycats

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 02:37:33 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for your help. The drugs seem to be helping so far. Don't think I'd realised how much the pain was affecting me as now it has reduced I'm feeling much more positive and have loads more energy. Haven't had any side effects so far, but I'm still on a very low dose - I have to increase it this week. I'll talk to my GP about newer drugs and see what she suggests, although if these are working with no side effects I'll probably carry on with them.

Thanks again,

Jilly
Oct 00  - judo injury - broke tibia, dislocated knee, damaged all ligaments, nerve injury. Initial LCL and MCL recon. July 01 - arthroscopy and removal of hardware. April 02 - further LCL repair July 02 - PCL recon Oct 05 - removal of hardware, removal of excess bone growth, double arthroscopy.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 03:36:50 PM »
Abicham...have you ever had anybody mentioning RSDS or CRPS for you..a condition you can develop after a damage..?

NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline Beth_T

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Knees - who came up with the idea?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 04:45:55 PM »
Hi Jilly

If they are working for you then great.  Have a chat with your GP about newer drugs though (it can't hurt to talk).

Beth  :)
Had a not needed LR op due to a fall
Found out that nerve damage was causing the pain, acupuncture worked - all ok :)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 05:34:47 PM »
Hi Jillly,

Sorry to hear about the nerve damage, I have found Carbamazepine on a mental health website that says its used mainly for Epilepsy as you mentioned on your posting. I pasted a link from a mental health website that gives some useful imformation on Carbamazepine.

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-t01.html

Hope the above link is usefall Nick :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline jillycats

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 03:30:58 PM »
Well I read the various articles people suggested and also did my own research - its a bit scary looking at all the potential side effects. Hopefully I won't be on the drug long term, but it is still helping with the pain. I've had to increase the dose today so am just waiting to see if there are any negative effects now.

On a positive note - unrelated to medication - I have finally had a call from the hospital to say that they have a new knee brace for me! Maybe I'll be able to get back to work before my sick pay runs out! Hooray!

Jilly

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 03:38:35 PM »
Great Jilly, about the brace !! I wear also brace cause of my nervedamage and that is very helpfull for me.
Just curious, how long have you had your pain ?

NETTAN  8)

Offline jillycats

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 04:15:29 PM »
Well my original injury was over 5 years ago, including the nerve damage but the pain has only really developed recently. My last operation in October seems to have really aggravated everything and it has been really bad since then. I've worn a brace pretty much constantly since the original injury because of my continued ligament instability. Before the op in october I was having difficulties because the strap on my brace was causing pain at the top of my shin and below my knee. The consultant thought that it was pushing on one of the screws from a previous op. So he took the screw out in October along with shaving a bone growth on the outside of my knee - just where the original nerve was damaged..... Since then the whole area has been hyper sensitive and I've had sharp shooting pains. Hence the medication. I've also got a cream that is supposed to help (Zacin) but I don't think that is doing anything - at least not noticeably! Now I'm just waiting to see if the new knee brace is better - the orthotist had to try and find one without a front strap at the top of my shin, and one that isn't made of neoprene. I go see what he's found on monday, so keep your fingers crossed.

Jilly

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 04:17:59 PM »
I will Jilly !!