Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Me Venting: My work status/The military's inability to treat patients  (Read 791 times)

Offline tinkershells

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
 ??? I just need to vent, and some support.  i posted earlier that I suffered a tibia plateau frature and lateral meniscus tear the day after Thanksgiving (Nov 25).  I serve in the Navy and work in a HUGE, very secure (lots of high security doors which require card swiping and code punching in) building with over 6,000 employees.  My doctor (civilian) gave me a huge list of restrictions, including: no crutching more than 15 ft at a time, no stairs, no work more than 4-6 hours a day, must elevate leg every hour for 15 min, will be groggy and tired in the morning due to medication...It has been 2 months since surgery.  First of all, I have not been back at work since the date of initial injury.  Additionally, at my last OS appointment, he prescribed physical therapy due to lack of range of motion (97 degrees flex).  This was on Jan 10, and today 21 days later, three weeks later, I went to my first PT appointment.  I gave my physical therapy perscription to my navy doctor on the VERY FIRST DAY I GOT IT, and it has taken the navy this long to set it up.  The physical therapist (an air force captain) yelled at me for coming in on my 8th week. And she tried to say my OS was an idiot and that 3 months was too long to not weight bear after breaking my tibia.  She said it only takes 6 weeks to heal any bone and you should be able to walk on it after that, but she is not trying to make me weight bear, which is good.  My OS is supposed to be one of the best in the Denver Metro area.  I don't know how to handle this, and all she did was give me a print out of exercises to do at home everyday, so why am I even going? Also, my Navy chain of command is finally making me return to work tomorrow, but get this.  They are sending someone who is not cleared to enter the compound I work in, to pick me up.  (I could drive myself, its my left knee, but due to the huge size of the building, I have to use a wheelchair, and I cant load/unload my own wheelchair in my ford ranger.)  So anyway, this person picking me up works in a small office right outside the compound I work in (perfect for me to be working in temporarily, but that would make WAY TOO MUCH SENSE!)  When I get on base, a second person has to walk from the office building up to the fence around the compound, which is far from the building entrance (at least 500 yards), and meet me.  This second person has to wheel me across the parking lot (500 yards, at least) to the building, and then wheel me to my office.  And in the afternoon, the same process will ensue.  They reduced my hours to the maximum reccomended, 6 hours.  And I have to go to PT twice a week, and they have to drive me back and forth to that also.  This sounds ridiculous.  Why are they risking re-injury when I only have a month left before I can start walking?  I just don't get it.  I hope everyone knows that the Navy has heavily medicated half crippled people working to fight terrorism and keep America safe.  That should really help everyone sleep at night.  I dont know how they plan on getting me into work across that 500yd parking lot when there is snow and ice on the ground.

If anyone has any similar experiences or suggestions, or just wants to vent, or thinks I'm lazy and just trying to get out of work, please respond.

LOVE,

Tinkershells

Lateral Meniscus Tear Nov 25, 2005
Tibia Plateau Fracture Nov 25, 2005
Tibia Plateau and Meniscal Corrective Surgery Nov 28, 2005 (1 metal plate, 5 screws, 30mL some dead person's bone added)
Passive Physical Therapy began Jan 31, 2006
tinkershells
11-25-2005 Tibial Plateau Fracture, LAteral Meniscus tear
11-28-2005 Surgery

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Me Venting: My work status/The military's inability to treat patients
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:46:14 PM »
I hear you and totally agree with you...what people not knowing anything about a situation like this thinks is effective is usually the most uneffective you have ever seen. I'm not surprized, but this get me so mad...they should really be happy that I'm not there !! However as long as people with no experience in certain areas rule as long it will be like this.
Wish you the best of luck !! Please let me know how you are doing.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Me Venting: My work status/The military's inability to treat patients
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:58:47 PM »
Hey Tinkershells..sorry to hear about all the trouble you're in and yes for all the good the Navy does it has some really stupid and redundant rules and regulations(Denver is no where close to water..Navy..that makes sense)anyway....regarding your PT..if you feel fit I would look up a pilates studio..it is expensive but healing time with pilates is faster then regular pt..I am 6 weeks post op from LR, patella debridement and removal of several bonefractment ansd spurs and I'm dancing ballet...figure I am about 6 weeks ahead of schedule..so are the none dancer that go to my PT office..luckily I seam to deal with people who know what they're doing and that reallly helps..good luck and keep on venting..at least that's better than going "postal"

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

support