Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chondramalacia & Patello Fermral pain  (Read 1538 times)

Offline SurfBig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondramalacia & Patello Fermral pain
« on: January 31, 2006, 09:01:27 PM »
Hello, My name is Brandon i underwent Surgery for damaged cartiledge on the underside of my patella. I'm 21 years old and i was very active until this started happening. It was to pain full for me to play any sports, run, swim, and do what i love most Surf. Let alone going up and down stairs or anything for the matter that involved extension of my leg. Being i'm only 21 years old im pretty depressed about my situation and i dont know anybody who has had this procedure or even this syndrom. My doctor who i think is very good went in arthroscopically and did a lateral release and shaved down some damaged cartiledge. I recently saw the pictures from surgery and the cartiledge at the apex of the underside of knee looked like little hairs hanging down (i gues there called lesions?) Its been almost 6 weeks since my surgery and i have been going to theropy religiously 3 times a week. however i still feel a lot of pain on the underside of my knee which the doctor says is normal? and part of the healing process? if this is the case have anybody out there had this done and when will i begin to feel better? thanks in advance

Offline SurfBig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Chondramalacia & Patello Fermral pain
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:21:33 PM »
Also i would really apreciate anybody out there who had this done filling me in about the recovery and the normality of feeling even more pain then before surgery on the underside of my patella.

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 09:37:46 PM »
When i hurt my MCL for the first time, it healed very slowly.  During recovery and my faithful physical therapy (3 times/week, for six months), it was noted that i had pain under my kneecap as well.  Had arthroscopy, where grade II/III chondromalacia was diagnosed and i had chondroplasty, where they shave off the cartilage on the back of my kneecap.  After the surgery, for a few months, the pain under my knee cap was indeed worse... sometimes my quadriceps would even refuse to tighten because of it!  The good news is that after a few months of rehab and being VERY careful not to fall on or twist the knee, the pain under my kneecap begain to go away.  After about 4 months, it didn't hurt at all, and hasn't since.  THe MCL is a different story, but the knee cap is great!  One thing that helped me during rehab was wearing a BioSkin patella stabilizer... helped my kneecap track right while i was building up the muscles again.  Wore it for about 6 months, then stopped with no problems (the brace was actually underneath my hinged MCL brace, which may have made some difference, but not much)...  Hope this gives you a bit of hope and brightens your outlook...  it was slow recovery, but it DID get better, and i haven't had trouble since.  One thing to keep in mind... if i were you, i'd faithfully continue home exercises, as it's VERY important to keep the kneecap tracking right (maltracking is the primary cause of chondromalacia, according to my OS)... home exercises can't be replaced by other things, because they focus on keeping things BALANCED, not just strong...
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

Offline SurfBig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:51:54 PM »
Thank you very much and i apreciate your advice. Its nice to hear from somone who has a similar problem as me.  I do hope it gets better soon. Somtimes while walking my knee gives out on me and it bends with all my wieght on it and the pain is unbeleivable when that happends. Anyway im always afraid that ill somehow re-injure the cartiladge... is that possible to do?   
    I'm hoping that this will start to feel better.... and i also have to get me other knee done as well... but i might put that off because the recovery is very long aparently..  Also i'm very big into surfing and spend most of my winter's on the North Shore of Oahu , Hawaii. i'll be going back out there this september hopefully if my knee gets better which i hope it does.... I'm trying to stay possitive and im hopeing for the best. thanks again

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 11:04:33 PM »
Have heard it can recur, but mine hasn't...  I've been diligent in keeping up with exercises to keep it balanced, and when skiing or sparring in martial arts, wearing a patella (don't want that old patella sliding around)...  My MCL is shot again, but have found that DonJoy makes a brace for both the ligament AND the patella, which is working nicely for me...  May want to check this out... http://www.kneeshop.com/bioskinstabilizer.htm  It's the patella stabilizer i used...

1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy

Offline SurfBig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 01:55:15 AM »
Thanks... Also i have had clicking in my knee for the past few weeks... the doctor tells me its normal. Have you had this problem to post surgery? mine has been getting a little better but not much. 

Offline SurfBig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 08:20:24 PM »
The Doctor tells me that the pain under my knee is normal and should go away.... it hasnt yet but its only been 6 weeks. i still cant extend my leg with out a lot of pain under my patella. Also i have some cracking which my docotor and physical theropist says is the patella slipping back in place which should also go away when i build up more muscle?
   Also has this surgery been known to be very succesful? being that im feeling the same pain that i felt before surgery if not worst i cant help but think maybe it didnt work?  thanks again for any info you can tell me

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 09:14:09 PM »
What are you doing in PT?  Are you massaging the area around the knee?  The clicking is general associated with minor scar tissue - THIS IS NORMAL AFTER SURGERY!!!  Most of us form minor amounts of scar tissue after surgery.  The work you do in PT, ultrasound, and massage all help break up that tissue. 

If your OS is pleased with your progress, don't let yourself get into a funk.  Ask for a timeline of progress - based on where you are at 6 weeks, what can you expect at 8 weeks, 10, 12?  It will help you measure your progress.

As to re-injuring the cartilage - the doctor didn't "fix" it.  What he did is the equivalent of clipping a loose thread on clothing.  If you leave the loose thread, it will continue to unravel.  If you clip it at the edge of the garment, the rest of the seam will stay intact.  Your OS cleaned up all those "loose threads", which should slow/stop the damage to the patella cartilage.  But it won't make cartilage grow back.  Whatever grade damage you had before, you still have.

To learn more about articular cartilage health, go to www.cartilagedoc.org.  Go to patient resources, and the knee section.  Becoming an educated patient is your best bet.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline SurfBig

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 09:58:11 PM »
Thanks Jess i apreciate it... I have to get my other knee done as well but i don't want to do it until i know it worked on the first one