Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Diagnosis uncertain  (Read 1079 times)

Offline activemom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Diagnosis uncertain
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:35:39 PM »
Am at very beg of investigating knee pain I've had almost 8 mos. Got exam with best ortho in state (he did my ACL and meniscal repair in opp knee 6 yrs ago) yesteday. He seemed to think it might be torn meniscus, patellar femoral syndrome and ensuing garden variety arthritis. Prescribed 2-3 weekly p/t. Said to come back if pain was still present in 2 weeks. Gave me steroid injection and said it would probably last anywhere between 1-3 months and that if there was no impovement in 2 wks I ought to get an MRI to further investigate.

Here's the thing, though.... he gave me a Depo Medrol injection with very little explanation (he's a great surgeon but too busy to be bothered with explanations or a beside manner) other than to throw a Rx for Vicodin for pain if I am one of those unlucky few who have and "unfavorable" reaction.  Within 2 hrs my thigh was going through massive spasms from the pain. I called back and reported the symptoms, pretty reluctant to fill or take any Vicodin (I have a rather high tolerance for pain) but was encouraged to do so, which got me though the night. The p/a that also saw me when the doc did was nice enough to take the time to explain stuff and when I called said the reaction shouldn't last more than 24 hrs. But it has...let's just say the Tylenol extra strength during the day just ain't cutting it but I hardly want to take the Vicodin on the job.

Anyone else out there have any such trouble?

Still waiting to hear back from the office but I'll report back if I do....

Thanks for any input....I am feeling kind of lost and I miss working out.....

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Diagnosis uncertain
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »
When I had a cortisone shot in my knee, I could not walk for 2 days afterwards. I was also one of those unlucky ones that it never helped with my pain either.

If you dont do a job that requires working with machines or driving, I would take the vicoden. Aleve might also be a better choice due to it's anti inflammatory ingredients.
good luck
sorry that I cant help any more
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline activemom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Diagnosis uncertain
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 09:13:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Missy! 3 hrs later I'm still waiting for a call back from MD's office. Staff is great, doc is a real jerk. Nice to know I am not nuts for feeling so bad. Lousy thing is I am in much more pain than I was in the past 8 months for this knee thing to begin with! Didn't expect to get the shot, wasn't really explained well and ..... here I am, coping as best I can. I'm gonna push the ice after my workday is over and the kids are in bed tonight. I'm a social worker and so I have maybe one desk day all week and other than that I am all over the county doing my appts with families and children, and yes, on my feet.

Thanks again....I visited a kneeboard when I had my ACL done in '99 but I guess it doesn't exist anymore. but this seems just as good!

Take care!  8)

support