Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: anyone had an arthrogram?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline belle9

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
anyone had an arthrogram?
« on: September 30, 2005, 07:24:54 PM »
hi,
i'd like to hear from anyone that has had an arthrogram - to be honest i'd never heard of it and thought i'd been referred for a normal mri but the appt has come through and is for an arthrogram too.  They sent one of those litle info leaflets but i want to be prepared when i go for what it will be like.  BTW - it is of my hip joint
belle
*Mal-alignment issues due to torsion or both femur and tibias
*Derotation osteotomy of right distal femur and distal tibia 12/04/11

Offline Yooper2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: anyone had an arthrogram?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 02:25:02 AM »
I'm assuming by the date of your post you have had this done already.  I had this procedure years ago, pre-acl petallar tendon graft.  It was one of the more interesting knee related procedures I have had done.  They take a large needle and inject iodine directly into your joint.  They then have you flex the joint followed by an x-ray or fluoroscope image. This allows the doctor to evaluate the soft tissues of the knee etc.

I will say it wasn't a lot of fun.  That's one big needle they use.  Also when the doctor bears down, leans the weight of his body into penetrating the joint with the needle, you know it going to be a rough ride.
Two bad knees and a goat.

Offline belle9

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 08:44:34 PM »
yeah,  i had the arthrogram done back in november.  It wasn't as bad as i expected though the needles were very large as were the syringes!  I've had a bit of discomfort in my hip ever since - not sure why? I'm now waiting for a CT scan of both legs -  i think my os just likes images of my body lol! ;)
belle
*Mal-alignment issues due to torsion or both femur and tibias
*Derotation osteotomy of right distal femur and distal tibia 12/04/11

Offline WantToKick

• Regular Poster
  • Just seeking to be able to ignore my knee.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »
I had an arthrogram on my shoulder years ago - was only 14 at the time, scared the bejeebies out of me!  Can't say it was overly pleasant, although i've experienced far more aggravating tests (for instance, one involving needles, electricity, and testing every nerve that feeds my arm)... After the arthrogram, I felt a different sort of pain for almost 2 whole months - doctors dismissed it, but it was there... arthrogram came back totally normal, but when they did surgery for reconstruction (kept dislocating in spite of an apparently normal shoulder), they found that my joint capsule was ripped open a little over half way around - go figure!  OS's seem to love images of bodies!  Must be the profession...
1998 - dog vs. human accident, torn MCL, subluxed patella
1999 - plica removal, chondroplasty. 
2002 - skating accident, subluxed patella, torn LCL, bone bruising
2005 - skiing accident, torn MCL, torn meniscus, stretched acl, torn medial capsule
2007 - plica removal, synovectomy