Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Recovery from fractured Patella  (Read 796 times)

Offline Jerry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovery from fractured Patella
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »
My wife just broke her patella. Doctors diagnosis. We are not sure what she can pyhsically do. She has an imobilizer on her leg. The doctos said she could stand on the leg as long as she does not bend it. He also said to stay off the leg for two weeks. At this time surgery is not needed, but if she does something that lets the fracture increase, surgery will be needed. We are not sure if she is supposed to stay in bed or is it okay to walk with the brace and not bend the knee. It appears to me that any movement of the leg causes the muscle to tighten. Is the actual bending precess the action to be avoided?
Thanks for your comments

Offline CarolineA

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Recovery from fractured Patella
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:25:41 AM »
Hi Jerry,

I would suggest your wife to keep the weight off her leg as much as possible. Better safe than sorry and you want to avoid any sugery.   I was totally NWB (non weight bearing) for 2 months (my knee was shattered).

I think you are a wonderful husband!!  Take good care of your wife.  I had a really hard time with depression after the break, still do.  If I didn't have my incredible husband to help me, I don't know what I would have done. 

Let's hear it for supportive partners, family and friends!!! 

Caroline

Offline Jerry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:42:47 AM »
Thank you very much  :) I am sorry to hearof your misfortune. I hope you have a full and painless recovery.

Jerry

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 06:52:57 AM »
Hi Jerry.Thankgivings day I fractured my patella, but it was a bad break.  Broke into 3 pieces, torn tendons and lots of bone fragments. and had surgery.  It was 5 weeks before I could begin to bear a little weight on my bad knee. 7 weeks before I started physical therapy. A Fractured patella, especially after surgery is a long tedious recovery.  Your wife should be extremely cautious for 2 weeks and use her crutches at all times.  Stay off her bad knee as much as possible.  No need to risk doing any further damage.  If she can get by without surgery she will be better off in the long run.  2 weeks may seem like a long time to lye around doing nothing, but its better than the alternative.  If she has to have surgery expect at least 2 months or longer for recovery.  Encourage her to stay off leg.  Good luck to both of you both, and hope she does not need surgery.  Keep us posted.

tippyclubb
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 06:55:32 AM by tippyclubb »

Offline Naomi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:30:49 PM »
Hello!

Ah, I as well can sympathise. I was non weight bearing for 7 weeks. In a full leg cast not moving. It is a creful balance between not moving and keeping active to try and stop blood clots. I sadly didn't get this balance right and ended up with a blood clot in my lungs - which was not pleasant. Doesn't happen to everyone though, so don't worry!
I would rest and take it easy, the hard work will come with the physio!!

I also have a wonderful husband and family who came from all over the UK to look after me! Yes, Hurray for supportive family and friends!

Naomi
16 Oct 2005 - Patellectomy
1st Dec 2005 - Full leg cast removed
4th Dec 2005 - Pulmonary Embolism
2nd Feb 2006 - ROM 55 degrees

Update Feb 2007!
All's doing very well - rom is nearly back to normal - still need to work on strength and stamina.