Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: deep bone bruise  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Tlee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
deep bone bruise
« on: January 30, 2006, 03:47:52 PM »
My 18 year old son has recently been diagnosed with a deep bone bruise to his left knee.  He had severe pain during batting practice at college.  He described it like someone taking a bat to his knee.  It happened while twisting to make connection with the ball.  He was not hit in anyway.  They did a MRI and found the bruise but said there were no tears in the ACL.  All that I have read has said there is a connection between deep bone bruises and ACL tears.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Tlee

Offline abicham

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • sports, sex and sun!
Re: deep bone bruise
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 10:10:08 AM »
Hi there, I have been battling with my right knee for more than 3 months now after landing repetitively from jumps on skis; first of all I was diagnosed with bone bruising and the doctor said that it can take 2 to 3 months or more to get better. It's quite a long process and I think it's highly adviseable to not to any high impact sport during that time. Just walking (if he can) is good. Unfortunately for me it turned out that I had more than just bone bruising so that is why I 'm still in pain. I think that bone bruises are a bummer but they always get better in the end.
Good luck,
Abi. (injured ski instructor in the french alps).
Broken pelvis 2004, pudendal nevralgia march 2005, chronic knee pain since October.

Offline sharshar

• Regular Poster
  • San Francisco, CA Baltimore, MD
Re: deep bone bruise
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 03:37:08 PM »
Hello Tlee,

I sustained a bone bruise the exact same way as your son in a softball game last year. It was caused from my kneecap subluxating (partially disclocating) and hitting part of my thigh bone. My ACL was totally intact. It took about 3 months for me to return to softball because the swelling took a while to go down.

ACL tears do tend to have bone bruises associated with them, but a bone bruise can be caused by something totally different from an ACL tear.

Hopefully this helps a little! Best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery.
January 2006 - left knee: ACLR (allograft), partial lateral meniscectomy (~20% trimmed)

June 2007 - left knee: lateral meniscectomy (~5% trimmed), medial meniscectomy (~5% trimmed)

Offline kateearmst44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
deep bone bruise or chondromalacia?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 07:53:10 PM »
can anyone tell me what the symptoms are for a bone bruise on the patella?
 I don't know if I have chondromalacia or a deep bone bruise?
I havn't been hit with anything and no problems with my ACL,

any ideas about how to decide between the two?