Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rugby After ACL Reconstruction ?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline mcintyre75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Rugby After ACL Reconstruction ?
« on: January 29, 2006, 04:58:29 PM »
Hi,
I had an acl reconstruction plus 3 lots of keyhole about 4 years ago, after tearing the acl & medial ligament playing rugby. Now aged 30, I'm considering playing again for the local club (semi social rugby), but am nervous having not played any sport since th injury. I've been going to the gym & doing weights, but am still not 100% confident in the knee.
My fears are around having a recurrence of the injury. Anyone been through simmilar worries, & come through the other side.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Michael

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Rugby After ACL Reconstruction ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 05:43:09 PM »
my son who is 15 had an acl recontruction in june 2005 and is going back to playing rugby (county level) at the end of march he seems a little apprehensive but the OS says it is stronger than his other knee so he is going to give it a go

why not get back there and just take it easy - it is most likely your confidence in your knee that needs building up!

just be careful - you will be bound to have some upset in the joint just from not having played for so long
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Rugby After ACL Reconstruction ?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 01:08:51 AM »
I had an ACLR in MAy last year...... and intend on getting back into my sport.... netball.  My OS said that there isnt any reason that I couldnt play again if I did my PT correctly and looked after it.  The worst but is getting my head around the fact that I can use my knee again normally.  Im still very protective of it.  However, I have played competition tennis since without a hastle.... so you can return to sport.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06