Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain after MRI  (Read 739 times)

Offline niedana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain after MRI
« on: January 29, 2006, 02:56:05 AM »
HI I'm new to the boared and am in desperate need of help.  4 years ago I fell in the tub and ripped up my meniscus pretty badly. My surgeon was  unable to repair the rips and ended up taking some out instead. On September 11th of this year I tripped in church and ran my knee into a solid oak pew. I ended up having to have arthroscopic surgery again, and this time he sewed up some and had to trim some.  After 4 months my knee kept hurting and the pain and sense that something was floating inside my knee wouldn't go away. I called my surgeons office who promptly scheduled an MRI. The MRI actually hurt. I could feel it the whole time, and could feel something moving inside my knee for the entire 1/2 hour. The tech gave me a cd of all  the imiages. I took it home and looked at them since my surgeon had done such a good job of teaching me what to look for with meniscus tears. What I saw shocked me,, it appers that a pair of hook scissors ( a tool used during the surgery) was in my knee. I got a copy of the radiologist report, which says nothing about a foreign object. My family doc thinks I'm nuts and won't even look at the CD because as she says "I'm not qualified to read it"  I"m in extreme pain now, my knee looks like a bowling ball and my leg is numb from the knee down. I sought help at the ER last night, and they even refused to look at the pictures. They prescribed Vicodin and told me to see my surgeon because they thought I simply had a torn meniscus again. What do I do? The surgeon that did the orginal surgery is out of town, and quite frankly I"m not sure I even want to look at him again. I want this out now but don't know where to go for help.  I already have an attorney on retainer, who is trying to get an impartial radiologist to make a new report for us, but that might take a few days and I"m afraid I'm doing more and more damage to my knee. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Pain after MRI
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:48:16 AM »
The only thing that I can reccommend is if you have crutches, pull them out and use them. I would try my best not to weight bear or bend the knee until you know for sure if those scissors are in there. I have never had this problem but if you try not to move it , at least you wont be doing more damage. good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 04:16:44 AM »
For God's sake, don't mention the fact you have an attorney when going to the doctors, unless it is doctor who he send you to.   

Now if you go in and get some plain films taken you should be able to see a metal object in the knee.  Maybe you could post the pictures of the MRI where the implements are seen.  How big is the instrument?

Since you have an attorney, you will not get a lot of advice from medical practicioners or even this site due to legal rammifications.  No one wants to be sued for "practicing law or medicine without a license".  The other docs are probably worried about getting involved in litigation and is probably why they don't want to treat you.   

Good luck and keep us posted and depending on where the tool is you may want to use crutches and/or flexing the knee.
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 04:46:29 AM »
If you are having lots of joint effusion, you may have infection, normally if the meniscus is torn,you won't get a lot of swelling because the the meniscus does not have a lot of blood supply. 

IF you have plain films made and soon you should be able to see a metallic utinsil plainly.  The ER and staff radioligist should be able to identify this. 

You haven't indicated where you live, but it might be worth your while to take a drive and get checked out in a different community so the good o'l boy network will not effect the treatment.

If this was me I would hang on to the CDROM but get a second diagostic test.

If you have an imobilizer you might use it to prevent a tool from damaging any other tissues, use crutches and try to stay off of it until you can confirm or deny the presence of a forigne objet.
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)