Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Repeatedly Hyperextending My Knee  (Read 5534 times)

Offline Cindysphynx

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Repeatedly Hyperextending My Knee
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:41:15 PM »
I had a partial meniscectomy and plica ressection in September.  I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella last month, which seems to be tracking much better after a month of PT for strengthening and to balance the IT band and VMO muscles.

I keep having a problem with my knee hyperextending slightly when I walk, but enough to feel a stab of pain.  Yesterday it happened twice:  once while walking down a slight incline, and once while walking on flat pavement.  It's almost like a tweak.  When this happens, I get a modest amount of swelling, which I think is hindering my ability to build muscle strength.  For some reason, I am able to play tennis (with an elastic support band) and even sprint a bit without trouble.  Walking and everyday activities seem to be when I have a problem.

I have a follow-up with my OS this week to check my progress on the chondromalacial patella.  He knows about the hyperextension issue but doesn't seem to think it is a huge big deal.

Any suggestions on what could be going on?  I'd like to have some theory to discuss with the OS when I see him, not to mention how much I'd welcome any suggestions on how to get this problem to resolve. 
partial meniscectomy and plica ressection -- Sept. 05
chondromalacia patella -- Jan. 05

Offline JennyinLondon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Repeatedly Hyperextending My Knee
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
Hi Cindy

That all sounds very similar to me what did the OS say in the end? what kind of exercises have you been doing? Anyone out there with a similar issue hyperextension/hypermobility/patellafemoral issues/ swelling?

Thaks,

Jenny

Offline CATRAY44

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Repeatedly Hyperextending My Knee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »
It sounds a lot like my daughter's problem.  She can hardly walk without her brace.  She had surgery for plica, torn meniscus over past 2 years.  She hyperextends and her knee cap is all over the place.

support