Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Thank you, hopefully the op is working!!  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Coombsie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thank you, hopefully the op is working!!
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:48:04 AM »
Hi All,

I had microfracture surgery on the 1st April and until now I've been thinking "was it worth it".  I don't think I understood what I was getting into when I went for the op. When the OS sais 4 - 6 weeks with crutches, I thought that would be tough but I didn't think things through. It was hell !!!  After a couple of falls and not driving things were difficult but soon enough I was walking again but the pain is still there.

It seems to have been going on for ever and I have been starting to feel quite depressed which was made worse today after a trip to the park with my kids. We were playing with the Areobie and I couldn't run after it, I felt such an idiot. I used to do a lot of running and I know that I won't be doing that again and all I want is to enjoy my MTBike again, play golf and enjoy playing sports with my kids. Today I thought all that was over.

I have just found this site and I would like to say thank you, hopefully the op is working and your stories have given me some hope. Maybe I should have done more research before the op but I really thought I would be back to normal in a few months !!

Tomorrow I'm going to take my rehab more seriously. I have been riding my bike and walking but from reading your posts I will include swimming. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Offline ski-bum

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Thank you, hopefully the op is working!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:45:06 AM »
Coombsie

I also had a microfracture on April 1st and found this site a few weeks after being NWB.  Even after hearing everyones stories I still have questions as to whether I am healing. 

Since we have the same timeframe it would be interesting to compare our experiences.  My lesion was on the medial weight bearing portion of the femoral condyle.  It was ~ 1cm x 1cm. 

I lost a lot of muscle strength afterwards and still working to get the leg strong again.  I am still having some difficulty walking; slight limp with pain in the region of the microfracture.  I do feel like I'm just starting to make SLOW improvement and I have good days and bad days. 

I have been going to PT for 4 weeks where I'm working mostly on stretching and massage (very conservative PT with this type of rehab) and I ahve been riding my bicycle since the first week (as per my OS) and now ride 5 days/week about 1 hour.   

I have gotten continued reassurance from my OS that all is OK so far and I am seeing him tomorrow for another follow-up visit...I'm really going to press him on the timeframe of the rehab!!!!

I will tell you, that like you, I was very active and this experience has taken a toll on my personal happiness and I've been pretty depressed about the questionable outcome.  I will keep you informed about my appointment tomorrow and would love to hear of your experience so far.

Good Luck
Marc
1995-ACL Repair Left Knee
2007-Partial Meniscectomy Left Knee
2009 (April)- Microfracture Medial Femoral Condyle Left Knee

Offline Coombsie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »
Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not really sure what the name is for the part that was operated on but I do know that if bottom inner side of my left knee so I think it the weight bearing side.  I know the OS said it was a 1.5cm by 1cm grade 4.

I haven’t got an everyday limp unless I do loads of walking up and down stairs. I think muscle strength is part of the problem because when I walk up the stairs I feel my knee cave in but like you I have felt some slow improvements. I can say now that‘s my knee is better than it was 4 weeks ago but nowhere near right.

Good luck tomorrow and I hope you get some good news, please let me know how you get on.  My next appointment is August so my focus for now will be weight loss and strength so at least when I go back I can say that I have done everything I can do.

Coombsie

Offline Tom Footballer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
I also had microfracture April 3rd. The recovery is slow but I found that swimming and pulling weights are brilliant for all the muscles in the leg.

As for the atual area of microfracture I think this takes more time no matter what. I still have the feeling that something is not quite right but I hope this will slowly disapear.

Cheers

Offline jennifer75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »
I had Micro Fracture  surgery in June 2012 tot he right knee and a scope .  I have been doing PT for several weeks now .I thought the PT was helping  .  Last weekend I was in D.C. walking around and my knee was killing me the next day and so swollen.I have been taking flexerill every night for the spasms I get in my calf.  I have had those since I was weight bearing .  PT does great stretches for me but twice a week only.  My doctor told me he didn't think the surgery worked for me.  He said I shouldn't be in any pain still. So he mentioned some injections   So now I am going to get a second opinion next Wednesday . 
I have a little baby at home and I am only 37 need to get this figured out so I have no pain.  The worst part about all of this is I really thought this surgery would end all of my problems.  I had the surgery on my right knee and since all of this happened my left knee has been acting up as well.  All my regular doctor kept saying was you need knee replacement you are on a poor man's knee right now. 

I am too young for knee replacement .  Can anyone out there give me some advice and words of wisdom ?  I don't see a light at the end of this tunnel. :'(

Offline Seattlemark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
Having just turned 38 in July, I am now just past 2 years since I had MFX on both knees (lateral femoral condyles on each). I've read the success rate for MFX is about 50%, and I would say that is pretty close the case with me. My left knee has responded exceptionally well (pain almost entirely gone) whereas my right knee is only mildly better. I have now returned to playing basketball on a somewhat regular basis. I manage my pain and swelling through the use of Advil and lots of ice.

However, I will say another thing that seems to help me immensely is the continued and ongoing strengthening of the muscles which surround and support my knee(s). Quads, hamstrings, calves, glutes, as well as core exercises, all play a part in not only supporting your joints but also maintaining proper body mechanics. Looking back to when my knee issues first began (around age 30) I realize muscle imbalance was probably to blame (I returned to sports after a 3 month layoff after breaking my left foot with no rehab). Once the bone in my foot was deemed healed, I was quick to get back into sports (basketball and softball). In a hurry to get my conditioning back, I just jumped back into playing as often as I could without strengthening the muscle groups I mentioned above. As a result, my joints took a pounding as the muscles were not yet firing properly to absorb much of the shock as they are intended to. But I ignored the pain and "toughed it out". Blah, blah, blah, now while also trying to avoid/delay knee replacement my OS says I will eventually need, I continue strength training exercises which, for me, help decrease the pain and improve movement. In fact, there was a point 3-4 months post left knee surgery, where I was still experiencing pain equal to or worse than I had before the surgery. I feared it was a complete failure, but I began strength training and within a week noticed vast improvement and has only improved. My right knee felt really good for a while but my stubbornness to continue playing sports has caused this one to regress somewhat.

Good luck to you.
6/25/10 - Partial lateral meniscectomy and microfracture lateral femoral condyle, debridement of patella and trochlea of LEFT knee

7/19/10 - Partial lateral meniscectomy and microfracture lateral femoral condyle, debridement of patella and trochlea of RIGHT knee