Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee grinding...but very little pain  (Read 1186 times)

Offline bbkmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Good grief...who knew knees were such a problem?
Knee grinding...but very little pain
« on: January 27, 2006, 07:38:39 PM »
Hi all  ;D
I am a moderately overweight 39 year old female with a knee problem. I have never injured my knee that I know of, but it makes a rather loud grinding noise when I bend it to go down stairs or sit down in a chair. I have been to a doctor who referred me to a OS...had an MRI done and it came back with a POSSIBLE menisus tear. I am having scope surgery done next Thursday for that...I am concerned that is not the problem however :-\

My question to all of you knee "experts" is this...could my knee be damaged even though I have had no injury? What could cause the grinding noise?

I appreciate any and all help...thanks in advance ;D

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Knee grinding...but very little pain
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 09:31:31 PM »
By grinding, do you mean that it makes crackling type noises or actual grinding like with sandpaper sound? If it the crackling sound, it is called crepitus and if it is not painful, is usually just part of us getting older. Being slightly overweight would also put more pressure on the knees so they may show wear and tear earlier. Crepitus is normal, most people 40 and over have some. Both of my knees are extremely loud but the good knee is the loudest. What did the OS say? Are you not in any pain at all?

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline bbkmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Good grief...who knew knees were such a problem?
Re: Knee grinding...but very little pain
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »
It is a definate sandpaper sound...I just keep thinking it is bone on bone...sounds loud and I can feel the grinding when I put my hand on my knee.  ???