Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee cap tender and swollen  (Read 2829 times)

Offline ALI62

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee cap tender and swollen
« on: January 27, 2006, 05:45:38 AM »
Hello--my 14 yr old bball playing daughter woke up this morning with a swollen knee cap area and very tender like a bruise.  No bruising seen.  She  played today on it fine till she fell on it and she also has no real trauma to it before this except falling like today in game.  She does wear knee pads.  I just wonder if anyone knows is this a bruising or something worse?  She played fine on it and says it is an outside pain and only to touch.  She has a championship game tomorrow--------we had ice and now heat on it all day.  Motrin for swelling. Looks ok but still puffy right on knee cap.  No bruising. Not as tender now as before.  Do you think the knee pads and falling maybe at one time maybe bruised it???  Or worse?  I hate that she fell on it today but maybe that is all it is from before.  Thanks

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Knee cap tender and swollen
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 10:18:42 AM »
It is best to stick with ice for the swelling. Heat can make it swell more. I dont know what your daughter has done to her knee but it is a good sign that she says that the pain is on the outside. I would watch her for a few days and if it did not get any better, I would take her to an OS. A GP wont know much about a knee but an OS can help you.
good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline anxiousknee14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee cap tender and swollen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:40:02 PM »
yes,heat can cause more swelling but can help pain, i am also 14 and have been through much of the same stuff that sounds like is happening woth your daughter. i would suggest a heating patch such as thermacare or icyhot to wear on the knee during the game if there is still pain, it might not help with swelling but it would release pain and shed be able to concentrate better on game. best advice is to go to OS in a few days if it does not clear up.

Best wishes
cms
born without knee cap groves
has had 2 major knee surgeries
possibe patellectomy this summer
knee cap shaped like rock
constant pain and falling
"its easier to run, replacing all this pain with something numb"
"these words are all i have so i write them, i seem to need them just to get by"

support