Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Elmslie Trillat op next week  (Read 749 times)

Offline ElleCarumba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Elmslie Trillat op next week
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:18:26 PM »
Hi

I am 20 and am due to have an Elmslie Trillat op.
I thought I'd be having it maybe late summer or so on but got a phonecall today saying it is on Wednesday!!!!! NHS targets apparently mean they need to get me done ASAP so I get to have it done in a private BUPA hospital for free! Anyway, it has been a bit of a shock as I though it was miles away. I spoke to the surgeon on the phone but I stil have a few questions
1) What do I take to hospital? I haven't been in once since I was born. Pajamas or just joggin bottoms and stuff? What do you wear in hospital? Stuff like toothbrush and hairbrush presumably as well? I'll take some books and stuff to look through but is there anything else? Can I have visitors?
2)Anyone used a BUPA hospital? Do you get a phone? TV?
3) I am a student but am working on my dissertation ATM which mostly involves sitting in front of my computer. Surgeon reckoned after a week or so, I'd be ok to get get a cab to the library and sit there and work or meet with my seminar group mates for a bit of a discussion. Do you think that is feasible? Am I likely to be in so much pain that I won't be able to concentrate on work?
4)Any advice for what to do straight after surgery to improve recovery? i am going to stay with my parents for a few days before I go back to my flat in my uni town. My flatmates are lovley and will do my shopping and so on for me.
5) I've never been on crutches before- any tips? I have to up a few steps to get to my front door but luckily my room and the toilet and kitchen are on the same floor.

Any other advice gladly received!

Ellie

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Elmslie Trillat op next week
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 10:29:19 AM »
I live in the US so things are probably different here. I can tell you that when I had surgery in the summer, I took short boxers and t-shirts to wear in the hospital. When I had surgery in the winter, I took long boxers with wide legs (to fit over the immobilizer) and sweat shirts. YOu need to wear something that wont get caught on the crutches. you will also need some bedroom slippers but make sure that they are not slippery ones.

I cant answer most of your questions because I have not had that surgery and our medical fascilities are different here but one tip that I wanted to share with you is to make sure that you keep a backpack with you when you go home. They are wonderful for carrying anything from the telephone to a sandwich or soda. Dont try to carry things and crutch at the same time. I tried that once and ended up breaking a toe on the "good" leg while totally non weight bearing on the other leg. OUCH.
good luck. I hope someone from your area can answer your other questions.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 02:42:21 PM »
Hi Ellie

I understand the shock! I'm due for the TTT in the summer too cos of the NHS waiting lists! Bupa eh! What a result! I'm very envious! ;)

From my experience you will have a phone and a TV and possibly your own room with en-suite! The food menus are also yum! It sure beats the NHS hospitals! You can definately have visitors! Check the Bupa website you will probably get all the answers to your questions there with regards to the hospital.

Take the usual tooth brush and hair brush etc, although I will say if you have long hair get a french plait because it will stay cleaner for longer! You'll need big baggy trousers but make sure they don't hit the floor! Ones with poppers on the side are good for access to the knee without having to get undresed! Remember hospitals are quite hot too!

Bring soft top socks cos your foot might swell slightly. Um.. what else, oh yea you will have a lesson on how to use crutches so don't worry about that! The nurses won't let you home until you are able to get to the loo alone.Take some money with you just incase, in NHS hospitals you have to pay for the telly not sure about BUPA. Make sure you prepae at home too, make sure you floor is clear so you can get to your bed etc without tripping over stuff! A back pack is a good idea for carrying things or perhaps a pinny to tie around your waist! Also it might be an idea to make some food and stick it in the freezer so if you are alone you could bung something in the micky so as not to have to stand about preparing stuff! If I think of anything else I'll let you know. All the best and let me know how you get on, I have mine soon so would love to hear about your progress.

Hop  ;D

Offline ElleCarumba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 08:53:13 PM »
Thank you both for the advice!

I think I better go shopping for some post op clothes!

I am really nervous about it- I didn't think I would be but it just came a bit out of the blue. The hospital trust get fined if people wait over a certain amount of time which is why they are getting me into BUPA- if I stay on the list much longer, I'll cost them money! I have waited about five months so far, so I guess the target is to get people done within 6 months?

My parents are  nervous as well-  my mum feels a bit guilty that she won't be there with me but she can't really take work off at such short notice!

support