Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: help..im 14 and feel like my life is ruined  (Read 950 times)

Offline anxiousknee14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
help..im 14 and feel like my life is ruined
« on: January 26, 2006, 06:16:31 PM »
 :-[ i might be to young for this site but i need help. I'm 14 and always have been active in sports since i was 3. I was born with a birth defect, no knee cap grove for the knee cap to fit in. We never knew of this problem till i was 9 1/2. I was running, a regular activity for me, and i fell. I couldnt bend my knee for a long time. My parents rushed me to an orthipedic doctor. When he finally was able to help me un bend my knee it hurt like hec  :'( when i ben tmy knee again is when the surprise came: my knee cap was all the way over to the side of my knee, this would happen everytime i bent my knee, :o.For the next 6 months there was constant pain caused by this. what was happening is the only ligiment that was holding my knee cap in place instead of the grove i didnt have had been pulled. It scared me so bad. i would just be standing there and my knee would give out and i would fall or i would be walking and it would lock up and couldnt move. I had the first major reconstructive surgery In April when i was 10. I had been fine until last year around January. After many, many trips to physical therapy (painful trips mind you) they decided that i had grown so much since i was 10 that the previous surgery had fallen apart and made things ten times worse. JOY!!!! So in may last year i had another surgery to fix the previous one,to hopefully improve the sutuation, and to scope out what they would have to do next time....(i should of known something would go wrong...) Now less then a year after the second surgery i have been in constant pain for over months. all the pain medicene im either allergic to,overly sensitive to, or it doesnt help at all, and i have fallen almost every day. This has been very very very hard for me emotionally and physically. I have had many other hardships in my life and sports were always my outlet for me. Every day since i was 3 i was always doing something i.e basketball soccor karate swimming riding horses riding bikes hiking dancing SOMETHING to be doin something i hate sleeping and watcing tv Sports were the only thing i loved to do now i cant do that and the doctor doesnt know if ill ever be able to...Now i turn my attentions to my writing...Anyway im 14yrs old, love something i can never do again and have a doctors appointment today that im freaking out about. I almost know whats wrong, i think that my knee cap is dislocating again pulling the surgery that i had done the wrong way, i know this because i can see it sometimes and i can feel it. So any one out there that has any advice on this i.e any procedures i should look into or dont even think about trying or advice just to keep on going it would be greatly appreciated please and thank you
 ???
born without knee cap groves
has had 2 major knee surgeries
possibe patellectomy this summer
knee cap shaped like rock
constant pain and falling
"its easier to run, replacing all this pain with something numb"
"these words are all i have so i write them, i seem to need them just to get by"

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: help..im 14 and feel like my life is ruined
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:35:18 PM »
You're not too young for this site - there are a number of 14-18 year olds hanging out here, and as thet get home from school I'm sure they'll respond to you.  And many folks have had similar issues - people have had surgeries to re-align their legs/knees, etc.

I do n't have any brilliant words of advice - just hang in there.  Someone out there has some good ideas for you.  Hang out here, vent as much as need be, because we all get it.  But keep fighting to get your life back.  You may not be able to play high school soccer, but you should be able to get back to some sort of activity.  If all else fails, maybe you can have crutch races with your friends  ;D

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »
I feel so bad for you and my heart goes out to you! Your life is not ruined, just going to change.  Your whole life is of ahead of you, and maybe you won't ever be able to do sports again, but surly you will find something that interest you!  This is a hard time in your life, but your young enough where many opportunities are still open to you.  I know its very difficult but maybe you just have accept the fact sports is no longer a option for you and focus your positive energy elsewhere.  You stated you were intersted in writing and I must say you did a fine job writing your thread ( post ).  You articulated yourself very well.  Maybe one day you could be a writer for sports magazine or get into sports broadcasting, something sports related.  You only have one handicapp, your knee, but your options are endless.  I understand all of this very emotionally and physically draining for you but you must strive to focus your good energy on a goal that is obtainable for you.  Life is all about changes, and that is what makes us better, stronger people of character is how we accept and handle the changes and battles of life.  I am sure once you accept you cannot do sports anymore, you will find something to focus your attention upon.  Your a strong girl and you will get through this.  You'll be just fine--you must believe that.  No your not to young for this site.  Keep your chin up and let us know what happens.

tippyclubb
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 08:55:09 PM by tippyclubb »

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 09:01:32 PM »
Hiya

Tippyclubb is right, there are so many things to enjoy in life and as a 24 year old let me tell you that being a teenager can be rubbish anyway, and rest assured as you get older you will find plenty of things you enjoy, and make friends that last a lifetime, and have lots of fun.

I also think it's worth mentioning that I have seen a number of posts on here along the lines of "I was told I would never be able to run again, but I have just run a 10 mile race"... so although you need to be realistic about what you can or can't do, I would also say don't live without any hope or determination.

Wishing you lots of luck, :)

Sarah

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 09:36:27 PM »
i had problems when i was younger too, different ones, i had a tumour in my knee.  Just to give you a little hope, when you finish growing (i dont think they can do it before then) they can do an operation to cure it, well it worked on my cousin, her groove was almost nonexistant in both her knees.  she had the groove sort of dug out, quite a big operation, and she had to wait til she was 30 to have it done.  she had the same problems, dislocating it and ruining the previous attempts at helping it, then she saw an OS who said there was a relatively new operation she could try, not guarenteed to work or anything, but could cure it.  she had it done on one knee, and after about a year she was back to normal, and the problem was solved, no more dislocating/ out of control kneecap.  it was so good she went through it all again for the other knee, and now she can do whatever she likes.  its awful not being able to do anything, especially when you're young, and even more so into your teens (im 19 now).  Just keep at it, and just bear in mind that eventually someone can sort it for you.
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

support