Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Gameready  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Gameready
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:56:12 AM »
Need some advice here.  Dr. Cole wants my son to have this device(icing machine) for three weeks. Seems not to many companies (durable medical companies) have this and those that do are not in our insurance network(TriCare Prime).  I am sure with alittle work I'll find someone within network but was hoping someone had some suggestions.  Can't even think about renting this bad boy @ $67 dollars a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.

Offline Daisy2512

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Gameready
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:44:39 AM »
I'd suggest looking for a "used" one on ebay.  That's what I did and it worked perfectly. 

Good luck.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 02:36:05 AM »
You can get them new for about $200.  CHeck out kneeshop.com
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »
Kneeshops does not carry the Gameready system and there are none on ebay.  Thanks for the suggestions though.
My 17 year old son had the OATS procedure on November 29th, 2006.  He has two previous scopes on the right knee and one on the left.

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:58:04 PM »
Why does it matter what brand you buy?  All of the icing systems work the same way - you fill a cooler with ice and water, and a pump runs the cold water through the knee wrap.  The biggest differences between the systems are size/shape of the cooler, and the level of control of water temperature.  I"m sure there are differences in the actual pumps used in manufacture, but unless yours actually broke, you'd be unlikely to notice the difference.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 04:27:56 PM »
I think GameReady is different.  It's not only a icing machine but a compression machine also.(www.gameready.com)  I guess it matters to Dr. Cole which machine he uses. I guess in the end if our insurance will not pay for it we will use something different.

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 05:09:49 PM »
Cinammo,

I've used a Gameready, a Cryocuff, and an EB ice machine. The Gameready really was quite different from the other two icing units. The sleeve that wraps around the knee is much larger, it provided better compression and cooling than the other units. It also comes at a premium price.

Would it make a difference to your insurance company if Dr. Cole wrote a letter explaining the neccessity of using that specific unit-- i.e. better recovery, fewer complications, etc.? You might also want to contact the medical equipment rental company that provides the machine to see if they would to give you a cash discount on the rental. I've found that many companies are very willing to work with you, since they get paid immediately and don't have to go through medical billing. Find out from Dr. Cole the minimum length of time after surgery that he wants your son to use the Gameready, rent it as long as your budget permits, then use one of the other icing methods such as a Cryocuff or ice machine. Just an idea.

Best wishes to you and your son.

Jaci
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 07:25:22 PM by Jaci »
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 06:51:16 PM »
I just found out that our insurance will not cover any icing machine.  They list it as a luxury item and that ice packs can do the same thing.  I thought we had good insurance. Guess I was wrong >:(

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »
I agree with the insurance company (not in deciding not to cover the machine, but that it is a luxury).  Look at it from this point of view - many insurance companies consider most cartilage treatments to be experimental, and make members fight like the dickens to get the basic procedure covered.  Your insurance is paying for the surgery, any hopsital stay required, post-op pt, bracing, etc.  It's still worth appealing, and getting the doctors office to run that appeal can help.  But lots of people on the boards have had OATS without the gameready machine, and I'm sure your son will do well.

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:28:30 AM »
I know your right.  I know he will be okay.  As a mom, you always want the best for you child.  I know it will be okay ;)

Offline Cinammo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 09:13:40 PM »
He's getting the GameReady.  Motion Medical is renting it too us for $100 a week.  Quite a lot cheaper than the $70 bucks a day we were initially quoted by another company.  Guess I will have to relist the Berg Polar Care 500 I bid on.  Hopefully someone else will outbid me.  Our insurance has not decided if they will help pay or not.  I already have an appeal letter from Cole's office if they turn us down.