Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Synovectomy:good or bad???  (Read 1803 times)

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Synovectomy:good or bad???
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:52:45 PM »
Hi
Ive been reading up on my knee condition (synovial osteochondromatosis) and the reccommended procedure is a synovectomy.  my doctor didnt want to do this but if it might help the pain im thinking it might be worth it.  as im STILL trying to get a second opinion on whats going on in my knee i was looking around at stuff.  Could anyone tell me about their experiences or anything they know about having a synovectomy?  I was told it was too big an operation to bother with, but the doctor didnt listen to me when i was explaining how much pain im in, so im just looking at the options.  Your help would be greatly appreciated
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

Offline arawnsley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Synovectomy:good or bad???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 11:11:09 PM »
I had an open synovectomy on my right knee with anterior and posterior approaches back in late June. It was to treat chronic synovial chrondromatosis.

Beforehand I was in severe pain most of the time with the knee locking, giving way and swelling. I had developed a limp and my doctor was concerned about the consequences of that limp on other joints. The synovectomy came 15 months after an arthroscopy in which the loose bodies were removed and the condition diagnosed.

Now, four months on I am much much better, I get pain and swelling late in the day, have some clicking and wasted muscle that is taking a long time to rebuild. Things are getting progressively better though!

My treatment was undertaken on the NHS at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in London. I now realise that I was pretty lucky in getting referred there - it just so happened that my local hospital surgeon was trained by the top guy at the RNOH and her referred me directly.

I'm attending clinic next week for a review.

Andy

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 09:54:20 AM »
Its brilliant to have found someone with the same problem, thank you so much!  Ive got constant pain an locking and giving way, but they said they couldnt see a problem and it wasnt worth doing the synovectomy, even though ive read it is the recommended procedure.  ive had two arthroscopies to remove loose bodies, one was when i was 12, and one summer 2004.  its still awful.  ive had this for years, and it took a couple of years  before they diagnosed it.  im stuck trying to find someone who will listen to the fact that i have locking and everything still.  i dont have a constant limp, but at least half the time im limping, sometimes i cant even walk on it.  some days i barely notice anythings wrong.  please keep me updated with  how everything goes, and maybe you could pm me with updates on the recovery.  also, how big and how many loose bodies were there in your knee.  apparently i have many very small ones, hence they dont know why its locking. 
Thank you so much for your help
Charlotte
About 10 years of pain, 3 arthroscopys, and still no help with my condition or my current problem.  And I'm only 20!

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 07:33:45 AM »
im trying to get an appointment this week to get referred for a second opinion.  hopefully someone will check and see whats actually wrong, and i can discuss the possibility of a synovectomy.  Apparently i had a partial synovectomy before, but it didnt help, probably because the stupid docton didnt take away the part that was causing the problem anyway. 
oh well, i will update soon, but in the mean time it would be good to hear more from people about it, so i can see what its like.
thanks
charlotte

Offline appleg8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »
I just received a diagosis of synovial osteochondromatosis. My first diagnosis was osteoarthritis and I scheduled a knee replacement. Now the 2 Drs. have conferred and I am having an MRI on Tues.

If this diagnosis is confirmed, how do I find a Dr. who has done many synovectomies? Does anyone have any information/experience with radionuclide synovectomy? This is where they inject radioactive isotopes into the area and it is much less invasive than surgical synovectomy.

Good to hear from others trying to deal with this.

Offline smeagol

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 07:33:35 PM »
Just to update you all, I saw a different GP today who was very concerned. she has changed my meds to something with hopefully less side effects, booked me in to see a physio because there is muscle wasting and has referred me to an os for a second opinion.  she also said she is going to follow up the info and if im still having any problems in a week i should come back and try other meds.  what a difference it makes to see someone that understands.  she said there was no reason to leave someone in pain like this, especially at my age and she didnt know why something hadnt been done earlier.  I would just like to say thanks to everyone that kept me going to push for more help and a second opinion.  just having someone understand and realise something needs to be done has lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.
charlotte

Offline appleg8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:12:33 PM »
See my comments on my synovectomy on post-op diary.

support