Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OPEN WEDGE HTO - DONE! Now the healing begins ....  (Read 25597 times)

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
Re: OPEN WEDGE HTO - DONE! Now the healing begins ....
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 10:58:16 PM »
It is now 10 1/2 weeks post HTO, open wedge, internal fixation ....

Today I took my first steps on two feet - using only one crutch.  What a wonderful feeling!

I am feeling great ..... remember all my fellow kneegeeks .... to heal quickly and well, you must:

1) follow your doc's and PT's orders to a "t",
2) eat nutrient-rich foods your body needs to rebuild itself post-surgery,
3) stay positive and get spiritual,
4) visualize yourself walking and running and having a full life with a healed knee ...........

Cheers to all ................ Knee-will-be-great .............
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • lateral PKR done on 3 April 06.
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 07:56:39 PM »
Hi everyone, especially Matt and Knee will be Great
Thank you all so much for your kind messages for my operation.  It happened on Monday and I'm feeling fantastic about it all.
Honestly!
I had a lateral PKR.  Although I went in wanting a general anaesthetic I ended up with an epidural (I think that's how you spell both those words!).  Not a problem and the bonus to that was I had no horrible after effects and my leg was numb for 24 hours afterwards.  Didn't feel a thing thoughout.
I stayed in hospital for three days and now I'm at my son's being very well looked after.
I'm hopping around on my crutches, and keeping the pain down with only low doses of medication - mainly paracetamol.  Actually went up stairs for a shower today!  A different action each day is such a milestone in my recovery.
I'll stay in here in Oxford until after Easter then it's back home to south Wales.  I live on my own so managing on crutches there will be yet another interesting experience.  I have some lovely caring friends and family so I'm sure I'll be fine.
I'll keep you informed on progress.
Great to hear that you are progressing so well, Knee will be Great, although with your attitude i wouldn't expect anything other than hearing positive things.  You're certainly inspiring me through this.
Lotsa love, all
Nina

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 01:24:24 PM »
hi everyone,

well, I did it. I completed my hto surgery at NYU and I have been discharged as of yesterday. I could not go home because the PT did not think it was safe for me with the 4 flights of stairs. So, my sister picked me up and took me to her house which is 3 hours north of NYC. The ride was long and a bit overwhelming since it was my firt time outside in 5 days. I am on pain meds (perkosets) but am weaning myself off of this as we speak.

I am beginning to take tylenol extra strength pain reliever as a substitute. The pain is not bad. For m, its more stiff and aching than pain.  elevate my leg as much as possible and I put on ice for 20 minutes. I have been assigned a pt and nurse who will vsit me for the next 2 weeks whille Iam at my sisters. I have also been instructed to giv myself a self injection in the stomach for the next 30 days whch sucks. The needle I give myself has to be injected into my stomach and I have it to start today which I am noy happy about.

Iam writing down when I take my meds and also each day I have been recording my milestones which I feel I have achieved. It is sooooo important to be able to validate what your able to achive ao that way you can look at this as a recovering process instead of being sick or infirmed. This has not been an easy 5 days. I have has good care but I def  had to be on the nursing staff to give me my pain meds on time and to give me ice to bring down the swelling. My ankle is swollen too and I have to deal with this as well. I have been thinking of alot of people on this board while I was hospitalized. It is so comforting to know that I am not alone. My partner and family have been excellent, loving and attentive.. But knowing that all of you have been through this or going through this has been so helpful to me. So, I have a laptop and will be checki ng this board regularly. Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and best wishes. Here is to a speedy recovey for all of us.   Matt
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 11:15:27 AM »
Well done Matt.  It's over and you are now on the road to full recovery, no matter how painful that road is just now.
I'm now 10 days post op - still at my son's because of the stairs like you, but feeling very positive.  It's lovely to look at my leg and see a straight one.  I'm beginning to feel muscles I haven't felt in a long time!!
I too feel extremely grateful for the support network that exists here, might be virtual but we're corresponding with real people who have been through what we are going through just now.  Maybe we should all meet up somewhere in the future - it would be interesting to know where everyone is from.  I'm from Newport in south Wales, UK.  I spent most of my life in Scotland as a countryside ranger.  fantastic job, gave me the opportunity to walk some of Scotland finest mountains.  Now I live in Wales, working for a community development charity. 
So good luck, Matt and everyone who is recovering or waiting for the op.  Mine was a PKR so I must be careful that I don't wear it out.  Won't stop me walking however - already booked in to do a 25 mile challenge walk this time next year!!
Lotsa love to all.  Thinking about you Matt - use that laptop!!
Nina

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 02:14:14 AM »
Nina,

Great job. Thats excellent that you got through your surgery too. Question: how are you working through the stiffness and swelling? I have this and know its a part of the surgery post op, but am worried as well. And, I  read re Knees are Great, that scarr tissue can form . Is there anything I can do to help prevent this. I hated being in the hospital and have no plans on going back there anytime soon.

Nina, enjoy your time with your son. Scotland and Wales sounds so beutiful. Please give us updates on your early recovery. Thanks again.......Matt
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »
Hi everyone

Matt - you sound as if you are doing just fine and you have a great attitude to your recovery.
I think a PKR is quite different to an HTO, the recovery time being shorter.  Knee will be Great's postings really cover just about all the info you need.
I'm eleven days post op, and feeling better every day.  Still on crutches but managing to get up and down stairs ok.
Re your swelling and stiffness, I'm like that at night and wake up in agony still until I can get my medication down and start moving.  I'm taking paracetamol during the day but with codeine at night.  I'm not sure what the US terminology is for these painkillers.  My leg is pretty swollen too, but like you I'm raising it and icing it.  But it's soooo good to look in a mirror and see straight legs - haven't had those for a long time!!  I get my staples out on Tuesday.  But meanwhile, I'm trying to keep the weight off by eating good healthy food and I'm looking forward to using my exercise bike again to build up my leg muscles.
Like me, you seem to have a very supportive family - and it's good to be able to compare notes on this forum.   I'll never complain about technology again!
have you any plans to do something different during your recuperation?  Once I get home I'm going to sort out all my old photographs and I quite fancy learning a new language.  I've got a small campervan with automatic transmission, so as soon as I can I'll be off in that for a while now that the weather is improving here in Wales.
Matt, look after yourself and focus on what you will do with your new knee, as I'm sure you are.  We wouldn't put ourselves through so much pain if we didn't look to the future.

Knee will be Great - I hope your recuperation is progressing well.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about how you are managing.

Everyone else - God bless and good luck.

Lotsa love
Nina

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2006, 01:24:47 PM »
Knee will be great is such a support source .. I am hanging one of her comments at my desk at work.  Just for a positive affirmation -- ofcourse my muppets and helllo kitty knick nacks will enjoy the company  :)

Knee will be Great Wrote.
To all bad knees out there: Don't give up on your crap knees folks !!!!  Life will be good - and just think, our knee problems, while great to us, are just a drop in the bucket for many others ... I keep thinking of the para-Olympics which are just starting in Turin - to keep me focused and real.  If the para-Olympic athletes can overcome their physical issues and be shining and positive examples of vibrant lives lived, so can we crappy-knee folks !!!!!!!!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 05:43:28 PM »
Knee-will-be-great,

We've chatted several times now and I've enjoyed reading your posts.  You have such a great attitude it is refreshing.  Thanks again for your posts.

It is so good to hear that you are walking on both feet again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Good luck with your upcoming appointment. 

Nina and Matt - good luck with your rehab.  ~Shade 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 06:45:31 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »
Thanks for your words Shade!!!!

Here is another perspective that keeps it real for me .....

Dear Kneegeeks,

We are all physically better off than the following (well known) people:

1)  the now-decesed Christopher Reeve.  In fact, we are physically better off than the now-deceased Dana Reeve (his wife), who died of lung cancer in March 2006 at 44 years of age - even though she was a non-smoker.
2)  the now 25-year-deceased Terry Fox (Canadian Hero) who hopped, skipped and jumped halfway across Canada on one leg; he had lost the other leg to cancer at 20 years of age.  He ultimately had to stop his planned run across Canada because his cancer returned - he died 9 months after being forced to stop his race - at 22 or 23 years of age.  Terry Fox, if he had lived would be about 47 - 49 years of age in 2006
3) the still living and very much alive and vibrant Rick Hansen (another Canadian hero who became paralyzed (paraplegic) at age 15-16), and who subsequently got a University Degree in Physical Education - and who thereafter wheeled his wheelchair across the world in his one man "Man in Motion" drive to raise awareness and monies for spinal cord research.  Rick married his physiotherapist, is raising three children and is head of (I beleive) the Rick Hansen Foiundation for spinal cord research .... he's now about 47 - 48 years of age.  He lives in British Columbia.  Just Google Rick Hansen to see all of the amazing things he has done!!!

Yep, many of us are suffering greatly, but we are better off than many. 

Let these aforementioned paragons of positivity and determination be our models for future behaviour - and provide us all with the incentive to find a solution to our knee problems and then give back, give back and give back again to society thereafter!!!

Perchance our knees won't be fixed to perfection, but at least we are alive and we have our intellectual faculties.

Cheers to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knee-will-be-great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
Hi everyone

Matt - it's been a while since you posted here.  This is just to let you know that I'm sending good thoughts your way for your recovery.  Looking forward to hearing your news.

Knee will be Great - thanks for your positive post, certainly puts things in perspective.  I too have been feeling very positive about my op.  There are many people in the world suffering so much more - I worked in Africa from 1998 to 2000 where HIV/AIDS was having devastating effects on families and communities, exacerbated by poverty and drought.  So sad but so many people there, despite their situation, showed me so much friendship and kindness.

I'm now walking short distances without crutches and I had my staples out yesterday.  Great!!  Still some pain though, but I think that's because I'm feeling muscles I haven't felt for ages now that my leg is straight again!

Lotsa love to you all.
Nina

Offline viz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »
I've just read your advice and its brilliant!!!!!

Thanks for your help.
Paul

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 05:40:09 PM »
Thanks Paul,

Here's a bit more info about HTOs et al that I may have neglected to send you in my personal email.

http://www.alphaklinik.de/en/toft/news/20000kneeoperation

http://www.alphaklinik.de/en/toft/diagnosis_therapy/arthritis/joint_prothesis

Best wishes ..............Knee-will-be-great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 02:26:08 PM »
Four months less eight days since my open-wedge, internal fixation HTO surgery.

Status Update:

A: EXERCISE
1)  Am doing 30 minutes daily on stationary bicycle.
2)  Have started walking (last week), about 25 km weekly.
3)  Am on various machines at my health club, using a machine that re-develops the a) hamstring muscles, b) gluteus maximi and gluteus minimi muscles, c) adductor and d) abductor muscles on the HTO leg.

B: PAIN
1)  None from the joint.

C: WALKING & STABILITY
1)  Knee is more stable than what it was prior to the HTO surgery, but still needs some re-alignment of the joint that hopefully will come about as a result of getting an ACL allograft in the future.  The knee joint is loose (no ACL).  Because of this, the tibia is still too forward of the femur (the result of not having had an ACL for years and years -  but my leg is now straight.  And having a straight leg and balanced joint is the first step to having other knee joint interventions done.

Don't ever give up hope about having your knees fixed folks!!!

Cheers to all Kneegeeks out there ..............Knee-will-be-great.

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »
hey KWBG--quick question...  I know everyone's case is different..but my open wedge HTO will be end of august...do you think it is crazy to even think about flying (2hr) flight approx. 4 weeks post op?  I'm trying to plan visiting my daughter at her school.. I could care less about being on crutches etc.  (been there done that)..but i'm more concerned about pain/swelling etc.

thanks!  ;D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2007, 03:30:02 PM »
Hi Witey85,

RE: Flying 4 weeks post-op HTO:

I really can't advise you on that because every case is different.  You may heal faster or slower than the typical HTO patient; I don't know and you don't know - and neither will your OS until you are post-op status.

You won't be partial weight-bearing until at least 8 1/2 weeks according to my protocol.  But your OS's protocol may be different.

Much depends on your doctor and what s/he has to say - so I would ask them about this the next time you see your OS. 

You do of course have access to porters and wheelchairs at any airport, through either airport-employed or airline-employed porters - but you may not find your situation conducive to travel.  Only time will tell.  Put it this way ... I wouldn't want to risk travelling anywhere other than to the Physiotherapist's office within the first 4 - 6 weeks post-op.  You don't want to risk jolting the area where the bone chips are healing into your leg (in the ratcheted open wedge of your tibia).

But the final call on this one is your doctor.

Sorry I can't be of greater help on this one. 

I know that I felt reasonably okay after 4 weeks, but whether I would travel with a healing bone and a still slightly unhealed surgical wound 4 weeks post open wedge HTO surgery would be debatable.  IMHO, too much possibility for disaster/fall/infection/a bump from someone/anyone you meet at the airport or your destination.  And you have not only suffered long enough but also waited much too long (no doubt) for this knee-saving work.  Respect it and heal it first would be my gut call. 

Cheers .......

KWBG
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 03:46:04 PM by knee-will-be-great »