Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OPEN WEDGE HTO - DONE! Now the healing begins ....  (Read 25599 times)

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
OPEN WEDGE HTO - DONE! Now the healing begins ....
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:22:41 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Please excuse me for the typos.  I do not have the time to correct them all; although I thought that the website did have a spell-checker, I do not see it.

I am 5 days post-op for an open wedge HTO using donor (irradiated) bone for the bone graft.  I am happy to say that 3 days post-op I did not need pain meds.  I have a 125 degree range-of-motion; quite amazing considering that this knee is a bona-fide veteran of extensive knee surgery prior to the HTO.  I had a minimal dosage general anaesthetic, but did have a sciatic nerve block and a femoral nerve block put in prior to going under.  The nerve blocks are administered through IV drips and act directly on the two major nerves of the leg, thus essentially deadening the leg to sensation and movement.  To my understanding, this ameliorates the need for high dosages of general anaesthetic, thus expediting the process of feeling great after surgery.  I am delighted to say that I feel great, both physically, spiritually, cognitively, intellectually and emotionally!!!

I have read extensively on the subject of HTOs et al; here's my personal perspective about how to prepare oneself for this surgery, and how to undertake life post-surgery, be it in-hospital or at home:

1)  Be as fit as you can be prior to surgery.  Irrespective of how badly your knee hurts, don't habituate on it.  Instead, swim, lift weights, do stomach crunches, do anything and everything that you can, heck even bicycle on a recumbent bicycle using your one good  knee/leg - because using the good leg will have some degree of exercise benefit transfer to the bad leg.  The key point is that the fitter one presents to surgery, generally the better you will feel after surgery, thus giving you motivation for exercise during the ehaling process.  Note also, that you really should develop your upper body strength - because you will be carrying yourself on one leg, using crutches for at least 8 to 12 weeks.  You will have at least 6 weeks non-weight bearing - so you really should be strong.  Show your physician that you are going to be a compliant patient who cares about the well-being of their body - and that you are someone who will respect and 'take care' of their handiwork.

2)  Have a good and healthy diet prior to surgery.  I subscribe to the notion of eating a more-or-less caveman diet of read meat, chicken, fish, eggs, fruit, vegetables, turnips, dark whole grains like wild and brown rice - and soy milk or goats milk.  I also use extra-virgin, cold-pressed olive oil - which has an anti-inflammatory effect.  I do eat oatmeal with real wheat (the husk of wheat) bran put into the hot mixture.  i)  I have successfully utilised an 'anitinflammatroy diet' and just common sense.  You are what you eat.  I personally would not touch pop, chips, processed food, sotre-bought pastries, jam, butter, micro-wave pop-corn and white bread.  These items provide empty calories.  What your body needs prior to and after surgery is nutrient-rich foods - and high nutrients are usually delivered via simple, non processed foods.

3)  Eat slowly - and until you are 80 % full.  This will prevent you form over-eating and packing on wieght - particularly impaortant when you are rehabilitating.

4)  Visualise yourself doing activities that you want to do after you are up and walking.  Thinks positively, even though you may have lost a job because of knee problems, or, have money problems because of stopping work to go for this surgery.  I beleive that scientific evidence points to having a healthy spirit as a major factor in helping a body heal, all other things being equal.

5)  Stock up on healthy foodstuffs and prepare for your surgery in advance.  Freeze weeks of food for yourself and your family.  You could chop up sufficient numbers of veggies to have stir-fry dinners every day.  Then you can pop these items into the microwave on a daily basis, without having the urge or the necessity of ordering out and succumbing to the temptation of pizza and other doughy, sub-ultimate foodstuffs.

6)  Drink lots and lots of water post-surgically.  Drink at least 2 litres per day of water.  This will flush all of the anaesthesia out of your system and hopefully make you feel better soon.

7)  Prepare the body for habitual relief of constipation by injesting dried prunes every morning.  Have 3 prunes every morning.  Given that you will be relatively inactive, the propensity for constiptation exists.  Counteract this by utilising natural purgatives.

8)  Buy track pants that snap up the sides, from toe to waist.  These are so easy to pull off and on when needing to go to the bathroom.  You can wear them every day and then easily get out of them for sleeping/bathing.

9)  Oh, by the way, when in hospital, do not act like a princess or a prince and demand, demand, demand of the nurses.  Nurses are heavily over-worked irrespective of the country we live in.  The last thing you want to do is irritate the nurses by being demanding or whiny.  Be a good, compliant patient and remeber to wait your turn - because you are only one of the many on your orthopaedic surgical ward - and assuredly there are some folk on that ward who are quite elderly and have multiple, complicated, physical problems.

10)  Re-examine your life while you are rehabilitating; evaluate yourself intellectually, cognitively, spiritually.  Evaluate your relationship with others.  Perhaps this is a great time to start the preparation process for changing your life in other ways.  It's not like you don't have time to sit around and think.

11)  Follow post-op exercise protocol to a "t".  Don't whine about how difficult this will be, or how difficult this is; instead, as the Nike saying goes "Just Do It!".

12)  Remember, that which doesno't kill you will make you stronger.

13)  This is only my personal perspective on what has worked/is working for me - and should not replace any discussion that you may have with your physicians.

Cheers to all - and to all a good knee!!!!
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline Run Forest, Run !!!

• Forum Faithful
  • Gotta' Love My Knee !!!!
Re: OPEN WEDGE HTO - DONE! Now the healing begins ....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 12:00:21 PM »
Great Advice for All Involved, in all leg Surgeries !!! :P

I am now over a year out, and doing fine ...  ;)

Here's to your Knee, and to ALL Knees out there ... Good Healing !!!
Craigger ...  ::)
2000 Left ACL w/ Hamstring Autograft-Skiing
(failure)
2002 Left ACL REVISION w/ Allograft Ligament.
2003 Left ACL Screws Removed
2005 Left HTO w/ Allograft Opening Wedge, Hip Autograft, Internal Fixation ... Yeah !!!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »
Hi,

You've a good healthy attitude.  Nice reading your post and your ideas, thanks!!  Like your spirit..

You mentioned a spell checker......

Here is where you can get iespell checker  http://www.iespell.com/

Have a great day.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

• Forum Faithful
Re: COMMENTS - OPEN WEDGE HTO - DONE! Now the healing begins ....
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 02:32:58 PM »
Thanks Craigger and Shade!!!

These are observations I have made from my experiences, but also from watching others go through knee/hip/ankle/leg surgery. 

It's all in the attitude - and in doing as much as one can to circumvent potential problems and heal quickly.  I beleive that OS's and physical therapists are quite thrilled to see people taking care of themselves and doing everything that is right and healthy - particularly after they have given us of their time and of their extensive skills.

Not whining to the doctor or to the physical therapists AND staying in shape show our health care providers that we are worth their efforts and that we value their hard work (i.e., planning for surgery, during surgery and during post-op follow-up).  In my humble opinion, this allows for us 'positive orientation types' to be considered for perhaps new and experimental surgery to fix our knees - because our health care providers and OS's do not want the proverbial problem children on thier hands. 

But even types who see the glass 'half empty' rather than 'half full' CAN REORIENT their ways of thinking to incorporate a positive mindset.  You just KNEED to want to change badly enough!!!!

Cheers to all knee geeks and your families !!!!  :D

Knee-will-be-great!!!!!!!
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline Run Forest, Run !!!

• Forum Faithful
  • Gotta' Love My Knee !!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »
Hey Guys ...

I almost forgot ...
Please, check out Active Release Techniques...
I do it for all my scar tissue buildup, sports injuries, etc .
After my operation, I had TIGHT Hip Flexors, and Physical Therapy does not address this ...
A.R.T. does, and did ... And, you only have to go for 5-10 visits ...

Go Here ... http://www.activerelease.com/ ...
Or, lookup Active Release Techniques, or A.R.T., for short ...
You WILL be thanking me !!!

Craigger ...  ::)
No more tightness, binding, tight calves and tibials ... All gone ...
And the best yet, it REDUCES swelling GREATLY !!!
2000 Left ACL w/ Hamstring Autograft-Skiing
(failure)
2002 Left ACL REVISION w/ Allograft Ligament.
2003 Left ACL Screws Removed
2005 Left HTO w/ Allograft Opening Wedge, Hip Autograft, Internal Fixation ... Yeah !!!

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 02:16:35 AM »
Hello,

I have to comment on #10. I knew in December of 2005 when my OS said " femoral osteotomy" that my life was going to change. I had my job for 10 years and was faced with a huge paycut. I schuduled my operation for june 2005. I had 4 months off work. During that time I decided to go to school. I am in a 2 year program for surgical technology. I am 40 and a single parent of 2 great boys. Ad for relationships mine with my father is better than ever. He is so proud of me doing this. It is also very rewarding to come home and tell my 13 year old how well the old lady did at school.

Your post is so inspirational. People ask " How will you stand in an operating room ?" I just answer " I will do it"

Thanks

Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 08:32:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments; yep, thing do in fact have a way of working themselves out; sometimes circuitously, but they always work out!!!!  Good for you on the career change!!!!

Cheers!

Now could a few folks post about how long it took them to be walking on both feet (no crutches), post high-tibial osteotomy (open-wedge) .....

Here's hoping to hear from you soon!!!! :-*

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 06:21:23 PM »
Hi All,

I am 22 day post-surgery now.  The knee feels great!!!

• PAIN MEDS - NONE: Stopped taking paid meds of any kind 3 days post-surgery.
    RANGE OF MOTION - 0 to 125 degrees
    SWELLING: Just araound the imajor ncision site.
    SCAR: Well, I'll never have um, two beuatiful legs - but I am least have one!!! - that being the multi-operated one!!!! Makes for good dinner party conversations; me and my knee have been on quite a journey!!!!  I am using Vitamin E oil on the wound, since I now have a scab on it.
    FITNESS LEVEL: I feel great !!!!  My left leg's quadriceps, gluts and hamstrings are strong; my bicenps and tricpes are pronounced and can hold me while I am crutching around (no complaints).
    WEIGHT
-BEARING: None yet.
OVERALL:  Still feel weak owing to the rigours of the surgery, but that too will pass!!

Love ya' all!!!!

Knee-will-be-great! :-*

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 08:11:07 PM »
Hi All,

Now 6 1/2 weeks post HTO !!! 

Range of Motion is 0 - 125-130 degrees .... the rest of the flexion will definitely come as I do more controlled, by-the-book and mandated exercises.  Possibly some more extension may occur, say to - 3 degrees (other leg hyperextends)  .... but only time will tell (and a lot of hard work <always according to the doc's and physio's strict orders>)

Swelling is minimal.

Still non-weight-bearing (no big deal) for another 2 weeks ... as per doc's orders.  After that, partial weight-bearing with the good old crutches by my side.

Starting to use stationary bicycle (little or no resistance) - every day for 20 minutes.

Lifting ankle weights with straight (locked knee) - 3 times/day

To all bad knees out there: Don't give up on your crap knees folks !!!!  Life will be good - and just think, our knee problems, while great to us, are just a drop in the bucket for many others ... I keep thinking of the para-Olympics which are just starting in Turin - to keep me focused and real.  If the para-Olympic athletes can overcome their physical issues and be shining and positive examples of vibrant lives lived, so can we crappy-knee folks !!!!!!!!

Cheers to all from Knee-will-be-great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Open-wedge, internal fixation HTO = Best thing I ever did !!!! 

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 08:25:22 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great. I am so happy for you. Your attitude is truly inspirational. I am almost 9 months post op and getting better each day.

Kat
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:05:51 PM »
Hi Everyone !!!!

I am now 8 1/2 weeks post-HTO - and I am extremely happy with the outcome; in fact I am so happy I could just, well, burst, jump up for joy, shout halleluyah to the stars, float on cloads ... well you get the point - I am quite pleased.

I took my first step on two feet yesterday.  I am still using crutches and only partially weight-bearing - but the pain-free feeling is absolutely invigorating to my mind, body, spirit and soul !!!

I have been faithfully following my cojoint Physiotherapist?Orthopaedic Surgeon prescribed protocol.  I started bicycling on a recumbent bicycle approx. 11/2 weeks ago (no resistance on the pedals, however) - and have brought up the time frame from 20 minutes to 1 hour - essentially 3 rounds of 20 minutes.
May
Remember folks, attitude regarding rehab does make a considerable amount of difference when recovering from such intensive surgery.

May God bless all of us bad knee folks with less pain and fewer mobility problems in each and everyone of our respective futures!!!!!

Cheers from the crap-knee rehab pit !!!!!!!

Knee-will-be-great !!!!!!!!

Offline meljoh

• Regular Poster
  • I RAWK :)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 08:06:07 PM »
I have to say that your post was an absolute pleasure to read. I have it bookmarked on those days when I am feeling less like myself!!

I am just a tad over 6 months post op for open wedge HTO. My surgery was on September 14th last year. I was partial weight bearing from day one per OS instruction. I dropped to one crutch the beginning of November and remained so for 2 weeks, again per OS instruction. The week of Thanksgiving I was walking with no crutches, cane, any other assistance. So total assistance lasted for about 9 weeks. At about the 6 weeks point I was using crutches more for balance (for lack of a better term) and support than acual walking itself. At that point I was total weight bearing, again using the crutches simply to keep me from "falling" as I regained strength and what not in my leg.

As far as success, I would so for the purpose intended, the surgery worked. I have not been able to find anyone else who had the procedure for the same purpose I did, so it's hard to compare. I did have some other issues that there was a small chance of this surgery helping with, but seems it didn't. It's crappy because I know I likely face another operation this year, but on the same token I am ok with that. Because I knew that going in, understood it, and have 200% faith in my doctor, it's not a bother. The reason for which I had the HTO was by chance we found it out. Nonetheless, it was a huge deal and was the cause of very much pain. So hey, at least it's one less problem for me  ;D

Again, a pleasure to read your post and the best of luck with your continued awesome recovery! You are an inspiration to so many people on this board. I think because of where this is posted, some who could use it might not see it. I sure hope they explore and find it. Regardless of the procedure, I think this is awesome advice for all!!

~Melissa
3/93 scope torn meniscus, 10/00 sched for LR but remvd exc. scar tiss 11/01 LR,  repair  degen men. tear 10/02 TTT with agg. trauma since 12/04 screw rem. dlng w/bone mass loss in knee, medial subluxg 9/05 open wedge HTO. More to come...

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 04:14:02 AM »
Thanks so much for your coments Melissa.  It is very humbling and an eye-opener to have lived in constant pain for so many years - and now to have had it be gone.  I want to make people aware that there is an opportunity to have grace and feel good.  Yes, sometimes it takes a while to find a surgeon who will beleive in you - and who is willing to work on you - particularly if you have had many previous knee surgeries ... but I say this over and over again folks - chin up - and just keep on going.

May God bless us all and provide us with good surgeons (who are decent human beings) available to work on us.

Cheers to everyone .....

Knee-will-be-great!!!!!!!!!

Offline meljoh

• Regular Poster
  • I RAWK :)
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 04:36:53 AM »
You are so very welcome!

If you don't mind my asking, what is your history that you seem to have overcome so well? As I said eariler haven't found anyone with a similar problem to mine as far as why I had the HTO. What was the problem with your knee? Are you feeling confident that it was the last surgery (if it wasn't your first)?

Take care and best wishes!

~Melissa
3/93 scope torn meniscus, 10/00 sched for LR but remvd exc. scar tiss 11/01 LR,  repair  degen men. tear 10/02 TTT with agg. trauma since 12/04 screw rem. dlng w/bone mass loss in knee, medial subluxg 9/05 open wedge HTO. More to come...

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 07:56:22 AM »
Hi

I am going in for a HTO on 47/06 at the HJD in NYC. What is an open wedge? Is that the plate stickingoutside of your knee. Your pstings were spectacular..........hope to get n as much exercise and good thoughts over the next 12 days b4 the big day.   Thanks again,  Matt
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • lateral PKR done on 3 April 06.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 12:13:45 PM »
Hi everyone especially knee-will-be-great

I found this site by accident - was desperately looking for some info on knee surgery as I'm due to have an open wedge femoral osteotomy next Monday, 3 April.
I was really scared until I read all you posts.  Your very positive comments have made me feel so much better.  I feel much more prepared for the op now.  Thank you all so much.
I've always been very fit, a marathon walker, camper and climber until my knee gave out on me a couple of years ago.
I bought a small automatic campervan, Bongo Friendee, which has been a life saver and meant that I could at least go camping with my friends.  I've booked for WOMAD (world music festival) in Reading this July, so I hope I'll see some of you there.  How far along the healing road do you think I'll be at the end of July?
I'm not sure how much time I'll need off work.  My work is pretty sedentary but there's a steep flight of stairs between me and my office!  Does anyone have any idea?   The doc tells me between three and six months, but is pretty vague about it.  i suppose it depends on how I manage after the op.
Like you, knee-will-be-great, I've been trying to keep fit and healthy, I've lost the 7kg I put on a year ago and I'm able to use my exercise bike regularly so you're going to be my role model over the next few months!!
Good luck, all, with your rehabilitation.  It's great to have found a brilliant support network of people who know what it's like.
Nina

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Hello All..... thanks for your comments about my comments .... It is good to know that people are encouraged by my words and experiences.

Firstly, my comment to Matt ..... An open wedge osteotomy means that you tibia, will be sawed open - then forced open with a jack (yes a jack), then a wedge of bone will be placed in the area that has been jacked open.  Matt you should know that open wedge HTOs can either be "internal fixation" (like mine - where there is a 4" to 5" metal plate that is affixed to the bone with 4 screws and washers - to keep the opened wedge open so that the donor bone can be packed into the open wedge).  See this link for an explanation.  See http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/images/osteotomy.pdf\  as an example. Note the bone for the open wedge, internal fixation can either be taken from your hip bone or (a donor (cadave)r or a real live person who may have allowed the bone cut out of their bodies <after knee replacement or hip replacement>.

Another type of open wedge HTO is the "external fixation", where there is no bone taken form anyone to pack the "open wedge".. Instead, your tibia is once again sawed through - but the open wedge in your tibia is kept apart by an external metal fixator - and in this situation you essentially grow your own bone.  See http://www.limblengthening.com/beforeafter.html Take a look at Case History # 7 and # 11 - and hit the patient's information on the left side of their photos - to get more details and more photos and x-rays.

For the lady having her HTO on April 5rd, here's a link; in fact Matt you should look at this link as well.  It is entitled a PATIENT'S GUIDE TO TIBIAL OSTEOTOMY .... http://www.eorthopod.com/eorthopodV2/index.php/fuseaction/topics.detail/ID/79791a8f7dd9f446b38653cbeab9a955/TopicID/b94a434439ab8222dc02c4c1283e4741/area/17

Folks, I cannnot state this more clearly .... DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!  Get onto the web and google things like "High Tibial Osteotmony", before and after photos, studies, etc.
I cannot tell you whether you will be able to go do thoings by July, but I must tell you that you HAVE TO EAT PROPERLY AND WELL FOR YOUR HEALING TO PROGRESS QUICKLY.   tHAT MEN NUTRIENT RICH FOODS, NO JUNK, NO ICE CREAM.  REMEBER, YOU ALONE CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE IN HOW YOU HEAL.   For good information on the correct nutrition to invoke now, see "The World's Healthiest Foods" ... Here's the link.   http://www.whfoods.com/

Cheers to all from .... Knee-will-be-great.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2006, 12:59:59 PM »
FOR GOOD INFORMATION about HTOs, OPEN WEDGE htos and CLOSING WEDGE HTOs, and the PROGRESSION OF ARTHRITIS (animated) in a knee joint on the medial aspect of the knee, click on this site:

http://www.eorthopod.com/eorthopodV2/index.php/fuseaction/topics.detail/ID/79791a8f7dd9f446b38653cbeab9a955/TopicID/b94a434439ab8222dc02c4c1283e4741/area/17

The site was created by the Montana Spine Centre.  Read everything it has to offer on this site - and click on the links on the site, i.e. the Open Wedge, Closed wedge link, the Knee Arthritis and other links on the site.  This is a really top-notch information presented in an easy-to-understand and pictorial fashion.

Cheers again from Knee-will-be-great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 05:18:38 AM »
That web site was the best information I got to date on HTO's. Thanks for suggesting it.  Can you tell me more about your recovery? I am very intersted in hearing about whether it worked or about your pain management etc.,. I am having the open wedge HTO. I remember my OS telling me I am not going to need the external device. I hope the HTO works. I know that the inevitable is a TKR but I am hoping for the best.

By the way, my MD put me on an oral steroid for 5 days. I started today and was able wo walk all around Manhattan today. I felt like I had my old knees back. I felt great. Just some info fo rthose in similiar situations. Thanks everyone.  Matt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 02:31:28 PM »
Hi Matt and everyone else.

Firstly, (Matt) remove from your mind the concept that you will definitely need a TKR in the future.  In my opinion, that is a way to live sub-optimally after you have had the HTO.  Check out alphaklinik and Dr. Juergen Toft (in Germany).  You will note that this highly repsected clinician and orthpaedic surgeon eschews TKR unless the situtation is dire and a person is elderly.

Why be defeatist in attitude ????  Get rid of the weight after HTO - and then go, go, go !!!!

Read these articles Matt.

http://www.alphaklinik.de/en/toft/news/20000kneeoperation

http://www.alphaklinik.de/en/toft/diagnosis_therapy/arthritis/joint_prothesis

Incidentally, my research indicates that total kne replacement costs the medical system 3 times as much as an Osteomoy .... and if the stats I see are in fact true, then why are so may TKRs being done on realtively young patients? 

I personally will opt for joint resurfacing at some time in the future.

Matt, I was given pain meds during my 3 day hospital stay post-surgery.  I used NO PAIN MEDS after I went home - yes, that's right, 3 days after the surgery I did not need pain meds of any type.  I think that too many peiple depend on such things when there is really no need.

I am healing very well - am walking on both leg using my crutches - but not putting the full weight of my body on the operated leg as-of-yet.

Eat well, heal well, don't self-medicate with food .... take control of your life - you only have one to live - so why let something else (like food) control it?

Cheers from Knee-will-be-great.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 05:24:56 PM »
Hello Matta and everyone ... here's one more comment as to the inadvisability of the seeking popular "knee jerk reaction" (pun intended) to providing younger, not sedentary people with knee replacements ...

It seems that more efforts should be undetaken by the medical community to fix knees using patient's exisitng body parts - and not to implant said TKR parts which invariably wear out and cause problems.  Also, sports and TKRs are contraindications.

http://www.alphaklinik.de/en/toft/diagnosis_therapy/arthritis/joint_prothesis-detail

PS - Dr. Toft did not do my surgery .... so I am not advocating him for any other reason other than my belief that what he says about TKRs and their necessity on younger patients seems logical and rational.

Cheers .... Stay Happy and Positive .... Knee-will-be-great ....

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 06:42:28 AM »
My fantasy is that once I get these two HTO's, I will be able to walk log distnces, swim in rivers again and be able clime the Adirindack Mountains to give praise to the Creator for brinking me healing and good medical care. Your vision for you is what I want for me.  The day before surgery, I am getting a haircut and pedicue ( you have to have clean feet for the doc's); I am going for a reikki treatment and massage and then offt to the movies. I will walk along the Williamsburg Bridge to get home to my 4 story apartment and collapse before my partner makes me a nice, nutrtious meal. Some phone calls to make to my family then I am off to sleep.

I am looking at this as gods grace to fine tune some parts becasue I have  alot more mileage to go on this long road called my life.

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 06:48:42 AM »
few more question?

When you wake up, when do they expect you to start using your crutches? What happens the first day of surgery and what do they expect from you. Dou they use the dreade catheter in men and guys, does it hurt?

Whats the average lenth of stay for a HTO procedure?

When do they sent PT home to you?

What kind of pain killers are best for when you get d/c?

What will I wear, a brace, caste , stints?????

Sorry,to go on an on, but I am a bit nervous and the more I know the better. Thanks all---you guys are the best!

Matt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 11:13:03 AM »
Hi Matt,

Please read my first posting on this topic for a perspective on what I recommend generally.  Tjere are 13 points.

In answer to your questions, here are my comments:

1) Crutches - I was shown how to use crutches the second day after surgery.

2) Catheter - I am a woman - and did need to be catheterized when I awoke from surgery, because I could not void.  Some people just stop being able to because of the effects of anasthesia, the medication provided to you during surgery, or, the oxycontin/percoset given to you after surgery.  Men, similarly may be affected - and therefore you would need to be catheterized.  It is no big deal.  Just get over your fear man!  After the heavy post-surgical pain kililers are discontinued, a person is usually able to void.  I was able to void on my own after two days; and I crtuched to the bathroom - with a nurse/aid of course - because after the first two days post-surgery, you are still groggy and not so fast or steady on your feet.

3) Home Physiotherapist - I was not provided with a home physiotherapist.  I am very fit and did not need anyone to show me how to do exercises.  Fort hte first wek or two there are few exercises to do other than what specifically the physiotherapist tells you to do when you are in the hospital.  You may be given an exercise and activity protocol when you are still in the hospital - but that depends on your OS and the protocol he/she prescribes.

4) Pain killers - I repeat, one more time, I did not use pain killers after I left the hospital.  A minor or dull ache is no reason to be medicated.  I repeat, you really do not need to be medicated for the smallest little thing - and the ache (for me) just wasn't there.

5)  Brace - I woke up with the brace on my leg.  The leg was braced in a straight position while I was in the hospital - thereafter on the day I was released from hospital, (78 -79 hours after surgery), my brace was adjsuted to allow me to bend my knee up to 90 degrees.  You must have your brace on at all times, however - or until your orthopaedic surgeon says that you can leave it off while you sleep.

Cheers ......... Knee-will-be-great !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »
Thanks for your post,

I am off to the gym now. I agree to get in as much as I can before the big day. My only question to you after reading all of your very helpful info is, don't we have to be completely non weight bearing for 2 months and to not bend the kness, in order for the bones to " join" . I am so confused about this. MY HTO is at the tibia to affect the medial compartment. I don't know where I would be without this site. Much thanks.  Matt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 11:15:13 PM »
Hello Matt and all other kneegeeks...

RE: Your last posted questions about the HTO:

1) WEIGHT BEARING - Yes, you will be completely non-weight bearing for 2 months.  You perhaps should go down the stairs from your 4th floor apartment to the 1st floor - on your rear end - perhaps one step at a time.  Remember, a fall is not something you want to experience.  I would stay in the house for at least 3 weeks.

2) LEG BRACED IN STRAIGHTENED POSITION (no allowance for bending in the brace post-surgery), OR LEG BRACED WITH ABILITY TO FLEX BRACE FROM STRAIGHTENED TO NON-STRAIGHTENED POSITION (about 90 degrees) - this really depends on your surgeon and how your knee can bend 3 days after surgery.  What the physiotherapist at the hospital said to me was that the ywould assess my range of motion (ROM) post-surgery.  This was done 2 days after surgery, as I said.  My ROM was 0 degrees (totall straight leg) to 130 degrees (almost totally bent - when compared to the 'good knee').  USUALLY A 'GOOD KNEE WILL BEND TO ABOUT 135 DEGREES).

Cheers again .... stop worrying .... gives thanks for you are lucky and blessed to have this done ..... be confident that it will all be okay ....

Knee-will-be-great....
Now Matt, I cannot tell you nor anyone else whether you will have the same orthopaedic experience as I.  Each surgeon has different protocols.

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 05:49:52 AM »
Thanks again,

I plan on being in the apartment for a few weeks. And, you are so right that I am lucky. I was telling the RN today how lucky I feel that I have great insurance and great health care. I am never one to complain, anyway. I obsess and worry but never complain,   Thanks again, Matt

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 03:17:04 PM »
Hi folks
It's great reading all your comments - and to share your experiences.

I thought I was going into hospital on Monday for an open wedge osteotomy.  Well, I've just got home from seeing the consultant surgeon and it looks as if an osteotomy is out for me.  I had lotsa Xrays, including a one from hip to foot.  Apparently my knee is so turned inwards that it would not be possible to do.  I think he said something about a 14 degree angle!  So he has recommended a partial knee replacement.  So now it's back to the drawing board to research PKR.  Is there anyone out there who can point me in the direction of a website or share their own experiences?  I'd be really grateful for your help.  Great lesson though in change - I have been expecting to have an osteotomy for so long that I feel a wee bit disoriented now that I know I'm not going to have one!!

"Knee will be great" - your posts have really inspired me and gave me the push I needed to continue with healthy eating, exercise and spiritual contemplation.  Thanks for that - and it would be great to hear more about your rehabilitation.
"Matt" - I'm scared too, this is the first op I've had to have (apart for an emergency caesarian but that was quite a long time ago).  However, like you I'm finding so much support, both from this site and from friends and family.  Like you, I too like to know what to expect.  Good luck with your pending op, and I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you across these thousands of miles.

Soooo....I'll post more about my PKR and how I'm feeling after the op on Monday.  I must admit that the nursing and radiology staff here in Wales have been fantastic to date.  My OS has a fabulous reputation too - phew!!

Lotsa love knee geeks all
Nina

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2006, 05:22:18 AM »
Hi Nina,

Yes, do oyu research. A PKR sounds good though I think the only downfall is that it may make a TKR toughter down the road. Speak to your OS about this . Keep us posted. Thanks for your good wishes. I am off next Friday to get it done. I hope to post to give others feedback. Thanks and keep in touch         Matt

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2006, 09:28:32 AM »
Hi Matt
Good luck with your op next Friday.  I'll be thinking about you.  You sound very positive about it and just think about the long term benefits..............
We'll be able to compare notes!  I'll keep you all posted on my progress.  Apparently my right knee is beginning to turn in more but I thought that was related to the problem I have in my left knee.  I think I'll need to keep an eye on that one.  I've always been a bit knock kneed though!!
Lotsa love to all you knee geeks out there across the world.  Great to have that support network.
Nina

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006, 10:58:16 PM »
It is now 10 1/2 weeks post HTO, open wedge, internal fixation ....

Today I took my first steps on two feet - using only one crutch.  What a wonderful feeling!

I am feeling great ..... remember all my fellow kneegeeks .... to heal quickly and well, you must:

1) follow your doc's and PT's orders to a "t",
2) eat nutrient-rich foods your body needs to rebuild itself post-surgery,
3) stay positive and get spiritual,
4) visualize yourself walking and running and having a full life with a healed knee ...........

Cheers to all ................ Knee-will-be-great .............

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2006, 07:56:39 PM »
Hi everyone, especially Matt and Knee will be Great
Thank you all so much for your kind messages for my operation.  It happened on Monday and I'm feeling fantastic about it all.
Honestly!
I had a lateral PKR.  Although I went in wanting a general anaesthetic I ended up with an epidural (I think that's how you spell both those words!).  Not a problem and the bonus to that was I had no horrible after effects and my leg was numb for 24 hours afterwards.  Didn't feel a thing thoughout.
I stayed in hospital for three days and now I'm at my son's being very well looked after.
I'm hopping around on my crutches, and keeping the pain down with only low doses of medication - mainly paracetamol.  Actually went up stairs for a shower today!  A different action each day is such a milestone in my recovery.
I'll stay in here in Oxford until after Easter then it's back home to south Wales.  I live on my own so managing on crutches there will be yet another interesting experience.  I have some lovely caring friends and family so I'm sure I'll be fine.
I'll keep you informed on progress.
Great to hear that you are progressing so well, Knee will be Great, although with your attitude i wouldn't expect anything other than hearing positive things.  You're certainly inspiring me through this.
Lotsa love, all
Nina

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 01:24:24 PM »
hi everyone,

well, I did it. I completed my hto surgery at NYU and I have been discharged as of yesterday. I could not go home because the PT did not think it was safe for me with the 4 flights of stairs. So, my sister picked me up and took me to her house which is 3 hours north of NYC. The ride was long and a bit overwhelming since it was my firt time outside in 5 days. I am on pain meds (perkosets) but am weaning myself off of this as we speak.

I am beginning to take tylenol extra strength pain reliever as a substitute. The pain is not bad. For m, its more stiff and aching than pain.  elevate my leg as much as possible and I put on ice for 20 minutes. I have been assigned a pt and nurse who will vsit me for the next 2 weeks whille Iam at my sisters. I have also been instructed to giv myself a self injection in the stomach for the next 30 days whch sucks. The needle I give myself has to be injected into my stomach and I have it to start today which I am noy happy about.

Iam writing down when I take my meds and also each day I have been recording my milestones which I feel I have achieved. It is sooooo important to be able to validate what your able to achive ao that way you can look at this as a recovering process instead of being sick or infirmed. This has not been an easy 5 days. I have has good care but I def  had to be on the nursing staff to give me my pain meds on time and to give me ice to bring down the swelling. My ankle is swollen too and I have to deal with this as well. I have been thinking of alot of people on this board while I was hospitalized. It is so comforting to know that I am not alone. My partner and family have been excellent, loving and attentive.. But knowing that all of you have been through this or going through this has been so helpful to me. So, I have a laptop and will be checki ng this board regularly. Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and best wishes. Here is to a speedy recovey for all of us.   Matt

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 11:15:27 AM »
Well done Matt.  It's over and you are now on the road to full recovery, no matter how painful that road is just now.
I'm now 10 days post op - still at my son's because of the stairs like you, but feeling very positive.  It's lovely to look at my leg and see a straight one.  I'm beginning to feel muscles I haven't felt in a long time!!
I too feel extremely grateful for the support network that exists here, might be virtual but we're corresponding with real people who have been through what we are going through just now.  Maybe we should all meet up somewhere in the future - it would be interesting to know where everyone is from.  I'm from Newport in south Wales, UK.  I spent most of my life in Scotland as a countryside ranger.  fantastic job, gave me the opportunity to walk some of Scotland finest mountains.  Now I live in Wales, working for a community development charity. 
So good luck, Matt and everyone who is recovering or waiting for the op.  Mine was a PKR so I must be careful that I don't wear it out.  Won't stop me walking however - already booked in to do a 25 mile challenge walk this time next year!!
Lotsa love to all.  Thinking about you Matt - use that laptop!!
Nina

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 02:14:14 AM »
Nina,

Great job. Thats excellent that you got through your surgery too. Question: how are you working through the stiffness and swelling? I have this and know its a part of the surgery post op, but am worried as well. And, I  read re Knees are Great, that scarr tissue can form . Is there anything I can do to help prevent this. I hated being in the hospital and have no plans on going back there anytime soon.

Nina, enjoy your time with your son. Scotland and Wales sounds so beutiful. Please give us updates on your early recovery. Thanks again.......Matt

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »
Hi everyone

Matt - you sound as if you are doing just fine and you have a great attitude to your recovery.
I think a PKR is quite different to an HTO, the recovery time being shorter.  Knee will be Great's postings really cover just about all the info you need.
I'm eleven days post op, and feeling better every day.  Still on crutches but managing to get up and down stairs ok.
Re your swelling and stiffness, I'm like that at night and wake up in agony still until I can get my medication down and start moving.  I'm taking paracetamol during the day but with codeine at night.  I'm not sure what the US terminology is for these painkillers.  My leg is pretty swollen too, but like you I'm raising it and icing it.  But it's soooo good to look in a mirror and see straight legs - haven't had those for a long time!!  I get my staples out on Tuesday.  But meanwhile, I'm trying to keep the weight off by eating good healthy food and I'm looking forward to using my exercise bike again to build up my leg muscles.
Like me, you seem to have a very supportive family - and it's good to be able to compare notes on this forum.   I'll never complain about technology again!
have you any plans to do something different during your recuperation?  Once I get home I'm going to sort out all my old photographs and I quite fancy learning a new language.  I've got a small campervan with automatic transmission, so as soon as I can I'll be off in that for a while now that the weather is improving here in Wales.
Matt, look after yourself and focus on what you will do with your new knee, as I'm sure you are.  We wouldn't put ourselves through so much pain if we didn't look to the future.

Knee will be Great - I hope your recuperation is progressing well.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about how you are managing.

Everyone else - God bless and good luck.

Lotsa love
Nina

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2006, 01:24:47 PM »
Knee will be great is such a support source .. I am hanging one of her comments at my desk at work.  Just for a positive affirmation -- ofcourse my muppets and helllo kitty knick nacks will enjoy the company  :)

Knee will be Great Wrote.
To all bad knees out there: Don't give up on your crap knees folks !!!!  Life will be good - and just think, our knee problems, while great to us, are just a drop in the bucket for many others ... I keep thinking of the para-Olympics which are just starting in Turin - to keep me focused and real.  If the para-Olympic athletes can overcome their physical issues and be shining and positive examples of vibrant lives lived, so can we crappy-knee folks !!!!!!!!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 05:43:28 PM »
Knee-will-be-great,

We've chatted several times now and I've enjoyed reading your posts.  You have such a great attitude it is refreshing.  Thanks again for your posts.

It is so good to hear that you are walking on both feet again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Good luck with your upcoming appointment. 

Nina and Matt - good luck with your rehab.  ~Shade 

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 06:45:31 PM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 07:10:31 PM »
Thanks for your words Shade!!!!

Here is another perspective that keeps it real for me .....

Dear Kneegeeks,

We are all physically better off than the following (well known) people:

1)  the now-decesed Christopher Reeve.  In fact, we are physically better off than the now-deceased Dana Reeve (his wife), who died of lung cancer in March 2006 at 44 years of age - even though she was a non-smoker.
2)  the now 25-year-deceased Terry Fox (Canadian Hero) who hopped, skipped and jumped halfway across Canada on one leg; he had lost the other leg to cancer at 20 years of age.  He ultimately had to stop his planned run across Canada because his cancer returned - he died 9 months after being forced to stop his race - at 22 or 23 years of age.  Terry Fox, if he had lived would be about 47 - 49 years of age in 2006
3) the still living and very much alive and vibrant Rick Hansen (another Canadian hero who became paralyzed (paraplegic) at age 15-16), and who subsequently got a University Degree in Physical Education - and who thereafter wheeled his wheelchair across the world in his one man "Man in Motion" drive to raise awareness and monies for spinal cord research.  Rick married his physiotherapist, is raising three children and is head of (I beleive) the Rick Hansen Foiundation for spinal cord research .... he's now about 47 - 48 years of age.  He lives in British Columbia.  Just Google Rick Hansen to see all of the amazing things he has done!!!

Yep, many of us are suffering greatly, but we are better off than many. 

Let these aforementioned paragons of positivity and determination be our models for future behaviour - and provide us all with the incentive to find a solution to our knee problems and then give back, give back and give back again to society thereafter!!!

Perchance our knees won't be fixed to perfection, but at least we are alive and we have our intellectual faculties.

Cheers to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knee-will-be-great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ninafin

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
Hi everyone

Matt - it's been a while since you posted here.  This is just to let you know that I'm sending good thoughts your way for your recovery.  Looking forward to hearing your news.

Knee will be Great - thanks for your positive post, certainly puts things in perspective.  I too have been feeling very positive about my op.  There are many people in the world suffering so much more - I worked in Africa from 1998 to 2000 where HIV/AIDS was having devastating effects on families and communities, exacerbated by poverty and drought.  So sad but so many people there, despite their situation, showed me so much friendship and kindness.

I'm now walking short distances without crutches and I had my staples out yesterday.  Great!!  Still some pain though, but I think that's because I'm feeling muscles I haven't felt for ages now that my leg is straight again!

Lotsa love to you all.
Nina

Offline viz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »
I've just read your advice and its brilliant!!!!!

Thanks for your help.
Paul

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2006, 05:40:09 PM »
Thanks Paul,

Here's a bit more info about HTOs et al that I may have neglected to send you in my personal email.

http://www.alphaklinik.de/en/toft/news/20000kneeoperation

http://www.alphaklinik.de/en/toft/diagnosis_therapy/arthritis/joint_prothesis

Best wishes ..............Knee-will-be-great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2006, 02:26:08 PM »
Four months less eight days since my open-wedge, internal fixation HTO surgery.

Status Update:

A: EXERCISE
1)  Am doing 30 minutes daily on stationary bicycle.
2)  Have started walking (last week), about 25 km weekly.
3)  Am on various machines at my health club, using a machine that re-develops the a) hamstring muscles, b) gluteus maximi and gluteus minimi muscles, c) adductor and d) abductor muscles on the HTO leg.

B: PAIN
1)  None from the joint.

C: WALKING & STABILITY
1)  Knee is more stable than what it was prior to the HTO surgery, but still needs some re-alignment of the joint that hopefully will come about as a result of getting an ACL allograft in the future.  The knee joint is loose (no ACL).  Because of this, the tibia is still too forward of the femur (the result of not having had an ACL for years and years -  but my leg is now straight.  And having a straight leg and balanced joint is the first step to having other knee joint interventions done.

Don't ever give up hope about having your knees fixed folks!!!

Cheers to all Kneegeeks out there ..............Knee-will-be-great.

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2007, 03:17:45 PM »
hey KWBG--quick question...  I know everyone's case is different..but my open wedge HTO will be end of august...do you think it is crazy to even think about flying (2hr) flight approx. 4 weeks post op?  I'm trying to plan visiting my daughter at her school.. I could care less about being on crutches etc.  (been there done that)..but i'm more concerned about pain/swelling etc.

thanks!  ;D

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2007, 03:30:02 PM »
Hi Witey85,

RE: Flying 4 weeks post-op HTO:

I really can't advise you on that because every case is different.  You may heal faster or slower than the typical HTO patient; I don't know and you don't know - and neither will your OS until you are post-op status.

You won't be partial weight-bearing until at least 8 1/2 weeks according to my protocol.  But your OS's protocol may be different.

Much depends on your doctor and what s/he has to say - so I would ask them about this the next time you see your OS. 

You do of course have access to porters and wheelchairs at any airport, through either airport-employed or airline-employed porters - but you may not find your situation conducive to travel.  Only time will tell.  Put it this way ... I wouldn't want to risk travelling anywhere other than to the Physiotherapist's office within the first 4 - 6 weeks post-op.  You don't want to risk jolting the area where the bone chips are healing into your leg (in the ratcheted open wedge of your tibia).

But the final call on this one is your doctor.

Sorry I can't be of greater help on this one. 

I know that I felt reasonably okay after 4 weeks, but whether I would travel with a healing bone and a still slightly unhealed surgical wound 4 weeks post open wedge HTO surgery would be debatable.  IMHO, too much possibility for disaster/fall/infection/a bump from someone/anyone you meet at the airport or your destination.  And you have not only suffered long enough but also waited much too long (no doubt) for this knee-saving work.  Respect it and heal it first would be my gut call. 

Cheers .......

KWBG
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 03:46:04 PM by knee-will-be-great »

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2007, 06:51:09 PM »
hi kwbg:  once again...good advice  :-\  i'll be at the dr's again mid-aug. so i will ask.  hopefully i will be the 'quick ' healer rather than the one that takes forever!
i don't really want to do anything to risk the healing part....it's really not worth it!  thanks for the advice...

whitey :)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

The 7 year anniversary for my open-wedge High Tibial Osteotomy is coming up in January 2013.  Everything is still great for that knee.  I never did have my hardware removed, and nothing hurts!

The operation was certainly worth the intital post-operation and rehab. pain!

Best wishes to all Knee Geeks.

Sincerely,

Knee-will-be-great!