Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Severe calf pain - Post ACL surgery  (Read 12602 times)

Offline robbonnici1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Severe calf pain - Post ACL surgery
« on: January 24, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »
Hi

Ive just had my second ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft). I went under the knife on Jan 10th.

I am slightly concerned about the amount of pain in my calf. The pain is deep inside the calf but seems to be eratic. The pain seems to itensify when i lift my toes up. I aslo have quite considerable brusing down my shin and calf which has caused my leg to go yellow!!

Is this a common occurance or should I be worried??

Thanks

Rob
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 04:32:15 PM by robbonnici1984 »

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: Severe calf pain - Post ACL surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:57:29 PM »
Hi Rob!

I used to work on cardiovascular/orthopaedic unit in a hospital. Have a read.

You should be worried IF :
  • your calf is hard to the touch
  • your calf is warm/hot
  • your calf/lower leg is swollen (mostly the difference is >3cm)
  • if your calf is tender to the touch
  • you have pitting oedaema

Then  you MIGHT have a DVT, which is common after surgery, mostly orthopaedic surgery, because you're most likely immobilized which increases the chance of getting a DVT. A DVT is a Deep Vein Thrombosis or a blood cloth (in your lower leg). Most surgeons give Fractionned Heparine such as ClexaneR or FraxiparineR SC (SubCutaeneous) or other types (those were brand names we use over here where I live). Do you have someone in the family with cardiovascular problems? Then you are at higher risk. Also females who are taking the pil (anticonceptives) are also at higher risk.

BEST THING is to get it checked out, because IF you have a DVT you should put your leg up high in the sky (matter of speaking ;)), stop taking the pill (females) and take anticoagulantia. Walking further on a DVT can cause a PE which is a Pulmonary embolism and I really don't wish that to someone.

Lower leg bruising and warmth are normal after ortho knee surgery. Most times the lower leg and ankle get swollen and get any possible color from black over blue to yellow. My lower leg was swollen big time after my knee surgery and my OS gave me FraxiparineR to be on the safe side (well, I had to give it myself :P ;D).

So to be on the safe side... get it checked out by a Dr! That way you'll know for sure!!!

Take care

Helena

Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline robbonnici1984

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 06:05:36 PM »
Thanks Helena.

harry78

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »
Hello there

I don't think its bad to have calf and shin pain at the stage you're at, because maybe its the legs' way of saying that its getting fed up with ACL surgeries which do affect the lower part of the limb due to lack of blood supply. After my ACLR there was so much numbness in the lower part that I could'nt tell whether and what was in pain. So I suggest that you do take the medication as normal even if it is your second ACLR.
I personally think that Helena is a bit off with her definition(a bit scary) and if you really start to feel unwell then call your OS, otherwise its true to the cause. Harry

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 10:40:55 AM »

I personally think that Helena is a bit off with her definition(a bit scary) and if you really start to feel unwell then call your OS, otherwise its true to the cause. Harry

I hope you never have a DVT or worse a PE. It's a warning, I've seen soo many things when people ignored it! I want Rob to get it checked out to prevent the worst. However maybe I shouldn't write here anymore at all. Bye
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

harry78

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »
Dear Helena,

I'm so sorry if you took my post the wrong way- I was only mentioning that your initial post could have been too over-elaborate for Robbo. My point is what you've written is if I have any of those symptoms listed then I should be worried, well I don't actually agree with that because after surgery there are many different symptoms that we all experience unless we're all constantly drugged. If we followed your advice I would have been living at the doctors 24 hours a day!!!!!!!

Harry

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 01:06:38 AM »
I was actually warned that about 5 dys after ACL surgery I'd have some calf and shin pain as the swelling drops out of the knee.  If the pain gets too much though and you expeience the symptoms mentioned in an earlier past then it would probably be worth ceeing your OS/PT about it.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06