Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee clicking  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Marcin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee clicking
« on: January 24, 2006, 03:56:35 AM »
I'm 16 years old and have a question about my knee, not a topic I know much about.

Around october last year (4 months or so ago) I was playing football (actual game, pads and all). I was about to tackle the opposite player toward the sideline when he reversed field and went the other way. I immediately planted my right knee the opposite way.. leaving my left leg still in its position and turned. I felt sharp pain and immediately fell over, i did not hear a pop.

Since then, during gym etc... i feel a bit instable of my knee. My trainer checked all the ligaments and said they were fine (MCL at least, he could not perform a proper ACL test on location). I iced the knee for a few weeks and it felt better. During gym it would buckle under me if i landed on it, as if a hyper extension was occuring... i've been more careful since then, it was painful.

Lately, whenever i move it past a certain location i feel a bump moving and feel a click. The bump does not feel like a bone. And it hurts to sit on it or twist it in certain ways.

I've been trying to work it out, get it stronger .. but it doesn't seem to be working. The clicking sound is annoying and I'm wondering what could be wrong.

EDIT: The clicking happens on the outside (left) of my left knee. The (very) minor pain happens above and on the inside of the kneecap.

Any insight appreciated,

Marcin
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 03:58:21 AM by Marcin »

Offline Marcin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee clicking
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:43:05 AM »
Anybody have an answer, its been over 2 days  :-[

Offline Daisy2512

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 02:03:18 AM »
Marcin,

I'm glad your trainer ruled out the MCL.  But honestly, there is something going on inside your knee that IS NOT normal!  I suggest you see an Orthopedic Surgeon (OS) without delay.  At least see your family Dr!.

You said this has been going on for 4 months or so and you still feel like your knee is giving-out, painful, etc.  That's NOTnormal.  This may be something relatively minor that the Dr. can prescribe some physical therapy (GREAT!), or there might be something more serious.  The good news is that you are young enough to heal well and have fewer problems when you are older.  (Knees are not forgiving!  They remember everything you ever did to them and will have "payback" later!). 

I hope other kneegeeks reply with suggestions.  But thought this might give you a starting point. 
Good luck and let us know what the Dr. says.

Offline Marcin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 02:09:36 AM »
Thanks for your reply :)

The knee giving out isn't as serious as i thought at first, it has generally gotten better and hasn't happened in the last month or two. I'm starting to think everything is in my head .. since it hasn't given out and i only rarely have pain. However the clicking is the part thats bothering me. More of a grind than a click.

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm planning to see a doctor soon ... I know, i'm one of those people that thinks 'well it should get better'. I think i've learned my lesson..

Offline Daisy2512

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 02:20:40 AM »
Grinding/clicking.  My first impression (I just didn't say it in the previous email) is that it is something with your cartilage.  But I'm biased, because that is what I had.  It's really easy to damage the smooth cartilage (articular cartilage) that is on the end of each of your bones.  There could be loose fragments that are "grinding", or potholes that feel like gravel when the bones pass each other.  This kind of damage usually happens after a hard landing on the knee.  They frequently call it a "dashboard" injury because Dr.'s see it a lot after car accidents and the knees hit the dashboard very hard.  In my case, I fell and landed on my left knee VERY hard.  I waited 2 years before seeing a Dr.  I had the clicking/popping/grinding symptoms.  I also felt like the knee was irritated deep inside.  But I didn't have the buckling sensation.

I would imagine that it's possible you could have cartilage damage if the 2 bones connected hard (i.e. change of direction).  But I don't know.  I hear about "maltracking" on this website a lot, but I don't know the exact symptoms. 

There are SO many things going on in the knee that it could be a combination of several things.  Cartilage, ligaments, maltracking, inflammation, fragments.  Have you checked out the website portion of this website?  There is a good overview of anatomy and symptoms/diagnoses.  It might help you at least learn the function of the major parts of your knee. 

Sorry this isn't more help.  I'm a pro at articular cartilage damage, but not much else.
Vicki :)

Offline Marcin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 02:25:22 AM »
How did they/would they repair the loose cartilidge/debris?

Offline Daisy2512

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:41:40 AM »
Oh - quite a few methods.  There are tons of discussions about that on this website.

Most of the time, they are going to evaluate the knee using less invasive diagnostic methods:  x-rays, MRI.  That will tell them a lot of what's going on with your knee.

If they can't determine for sure, they might do an arthroscope procedure to really "see" what's going on in there.  They can see if there are fragments, dents, etc.  They will "wash out" fragments with fluid, which sometimes is all that is needed.  That process also helps balance-out the fluids in your knee.  I was told that if the knee is inflammed, which it can be just because fragments irritate the tissues, the fluid can become an irritant too!  So, just washing the knee area out can help.

In my case, I had a pothole and had the OATS surgery.  They took cartilage plugs from one side of my knee and "filled in" the pothole on the other side.  Think of what getting hair plugs is like.  It's the same concept.  It's one of the more dramatic ways of fixing knee problems and the recovery time is long ....Months later, I'm still limping. 

If it is a ligament problem, they can usually do an arthroscopic procedure too.   Same for the meniscus cartilage, if it is affected. I'm also wondering if maybe you need a knee brace.  There are different kinds of braces for different knee problems.

So I would expect a Dr (specially an Orthopedic Surgeon) to:
- exam your knee.  Bend it, straighten it, try to put it in the position where you feel pain, poke, etc.
- ask you lots of questions about how you injured it and all the details you've listed here.
- take at least x-rays and get an MRI.

After that is when there will be options.  I really think PT will be an option.  Sometimes they will recommend that for a period of time (weeks/months) to see if there is any improvement.  If not, then surgery might be recommended.  (arthroscopy). 

Arthroscopy - is literally a camera "scope" in your knee.  It usually takes 3-4 small incisions in your knee.  They fill up your knee with fluid like a balloon so they can see.  If they need to make any repairs, they will insert small tools.  Recovery is much quicker than a full incision. 

Offline Marcin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 02:45:27 AM »
Thanks,

That actually made me feel better. Hopefully its something minor and won't require surgery. I'm sorry to hear your still limping, I can only imagine how bad these injuries can get.

Anybody have any other suggestions, please let me know .. I will check this thread periodically.

Thanks again,

Marcin

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 10:51:10 AM »
I immediately planted my right knee the opposite way.. leaving my left leg still in its position and turned. I felt sharp pain and immediately fell over,

...Lately, whenever i move it past a certain location i feel a bump moving and feel a click. The bump does not feel like a bone. And it hurts to sit on it or twist it in certain ways.

Hi Marcin

Is it possible you have torn the meniscus? I know that can happen as a result of an injury like you described.

Get referred to see an OS to get it checked out. Then you will (hopefully) know exactly what is wrong and be able to get it fixed.

Lots of luck,
Sarah

support