Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Quad tendon rupture  (Read 1364 times)

Offline samm_i_am

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Quad tendon rupture
« on: January 24, 2006, 03:05:30 AM »
Hi everyone, I came across this site today as I am scheduled for surgery on Jan 25, 2 days from now.  I am now having cold feet after reading everyone's posts.  I hurt my knee about 10 years ago in the Marines, and then about 7 years ago I was playing volleyball and landed right on my kneecap or just above it, where the quad tendon is.  I have seen several Dr.'s through the years and just within the last 2 years I have seen 4 OS's.  Last year we did arthroscoptic exploratory surgery and all they removed was plica.  Finally I saw the Cleveland Indians team doc, and he diagnosed it as a partially ruptured quad tendon.  Meaning I can still walk and run, however, I have to ice it every time, and if it really flares up, it is painful.  All of the doc's pretty much saw the same MRI and finally one diagnosed it.  I was finished rehabbing this summer and starting playing volleyball again, when I felt a very sharp pain go through my knee.  I saw the team doc and he looked at my MRI from this past April and did another one.  Both show this partial rupture.  After reading everyone's posts, I'm not sure I want to go through more rehab and the possibility that I will never play sports again, or worse yet, have my knee ruined for good.  Has anyone gone through this and what advice do you have?

Offline pxs

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Quad tendon rupture
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 06:48:11 PM »
here is an article on quad tendon rupture.

http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic274.htm

for complete ruptures surgery is necessary.

for partial ruptures its seems to be optional to treat non-operatively or surgically. it might depend on the extent of the rupture. 

if addressed surgically it should occur soon after the injury.
if your partial rupture healed in a way that left your patellar mechanics screwed up, or with problematic scar tissue, then maybe further surgery would be advised.  this would be for a good o/s to sort out.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 03:56:40 PM »
By now you may have already had surgery, but here's my story.

I had a complete rupture and had it surgically repaired. Mine happened when I fell on a wet floor. I think I partially tore it then, then I went down the stairs to go to the ER, and it tore the rest of  the way as I stepped down the first stair. I won't kid you, it is a big surgery and rehab. But you definitely don't want that tendon to keep tearing a little at a time and then have to deal with a complete rupture. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. Good luck!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline samm_i_am

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 06:21:39 PM »
I had the surgery yesterday and my OS told me that he was going to cut the tendon and then reattach it.  I won't know much more till Tue.  I learned very quickly last night not to put off the meds.  As soon as the meds starting wearing off, I was in a ton of pain.  It is very difficult to get around and find a comfortable spot to plant myself.  Can you give me some info on your rehab process?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 11:54:51 PM »
Remember to ice and elevate! It makes a huge difference. Elevate with your knee above your heart and your ankle above your knee. I would lay in bed or on the couch with lots and lots of pillows to get into this position. I even slept that way for the first few days. And make sure to take your pain meds on a regular schedule. Don't wait until it hurts before you take the next dose, at least for the first few days or as long as needed. You've had a big surgery!

Are you in an immobilizer? I was, for about two months (but that was longer than normal because my quads were so slow to respond)....I think the "norm" is about 4-6 weeks. ThenI went to a hinged brace to learn to bend with weight on the knee while still protecting it. But I only had that for a couple of weeks. Then I used a cane.

I started PT at about three weeks post-op. At the beginning it was just very gentle bending and trying to get the quad to respond. I couldn't do a straight leg raise until several weeks after starting PT. But again, that's not the norm.

Next time you see the OS, ask him for a specific timeline for recovery and rehab. That's what I did, and it was laid out for me clearly. But I'm not sure how your rehab will go. I had all kinds of complications that I'm sure you won't have. I was originally told it would be about a year before I forgot I had an injury. Unfortunately, that just wasn't true for me.

Good luck to you. Hope your recovery goes smoothly. Ask questions as you have them!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline samm_i_am

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 05:26:58 PM »
Wow, sounds like you had it pretty rough.  How long has it been since the surgery?  Are you fully recovered now?  Are you able to participate in any sports?
Like I said before, I've been dealing with the injury for about 10 yrs now.  It has limited me in my sports, and I finally decided to get it done once I found out the problem.  I received a huge blessing yesterday from my neighbor, who is a nurse.  She suggested that I use a device to help me lift my leg up when getting in and out of the couch.  I have one of those elastic bands from rehab last year and it has greatly reduced my pain when I lift my leg.  And yesterday I was able to regulate my meds to eleviate the pain.  I slept great last night.  I figure I will also write a journal to keep track of my progress in case I have to go thru this again.
Thanks, keep in touch,
Matt

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 05:18:45 PM »
Matt:

It sounds like you're managing well. It's really important to get good sleep, so I'm glad your pain is under control now.

As for me, my original injury was almost seven years ago. But my last surgery (the fourth) was two years ago and I'm on the way back to the OS to re-evaluate my knee again. I've had a lot of problems with scar tissue that led to patella baja and a chondral defect behind the patella. This has altered the biomechanics of my knee. Eventually I will need a knee replacement. No, I would never be able to play any kind of sports. I can't even walk without a limp, and my knee hurts all the time. I didn't want to tell you that because I'm sure you'll have a different outcome.

You may remember back when Clinton was president and he fell down a step at some golfer's house in Florida? He ruptured his quad tendon. He doesn't seem to have any ill effects from it after he healed...he continues to run, etc. Of course we don't have access to the kind of 24 hour medical care he had, but I don't think this is supposed to be a permanent life-changing injury. It will change your life for a while, though. You'll need to be patient and work hard at the same time!

Janet

Offline samm_i_am

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 06:24:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I saw the OS yesterday, and he said it was a good thing we did the surgery b/c the tendon could have fully ruptured at any time.  He said he removed about 20% of it.  Some of it had calcified.  Used two big anchors and lots of wire.  He is fully confident for a a complete recovery.  Moved my brace to 30 degrees.. Said to start PT now.  Can't fire my quads yet, but said to have the therapist move the brace 10 degrees every week.  I am just waiting now till I can drive to get to the therapist.  At least I don't need any more meds and I feel better after seeing him.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 11:42:28 PM »
Did your OS want you to start PT right away? If all that's holding you back is being able to drive, look into one of the medical transportation services. Even though my injury was to my left leg, I couldn't get the immobilizer into the front seat of the car. I used a transportation service all the time to get to PT. It was great. They picked me up at my house and were there waiting when PT was over. It's important to get to PT as soon as allowed.

Janet