Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What are people's work status?  (Read 3313 times)

harry78

Re: What are people's work status?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
Hello

I am a Maths teacher in UK and I have had 6 months out because of the surgery. I am returning now gradually to a sense of normality but its quite difficult when sitting after long oeriods of standing up and walking. I figured that after a half a year the knee should be okay to withstand certain twisting movements that are sometimes needed to carry tasks out and I can kneel down most importantly. Before surgery I was in no shape (physically and mentally) to carry out my duties, but now I'm really appreciative of everyone's help including you good people.

Cheers Harry

Offline jillycats

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 03:44:13 PM »
I originally injured my knee over 5 years ago. I'd been teaching for only 5 weeks (in a special school). I had 3 months off then went back part time to start building up to full time. Then a year later I had further surgery and was off for 7 months. Most recently I had surgery in October and am still off, waiting for a new knee brace before I can go back again. The school has been very understanding but there are some things that I'm not allowed to do - teach swimming, playground duty. Because it is a special school there are a lot of students with challenging behaviour which means that I do have to be extra careful, but otherwise things are ok.

Jilly

Oct 00  - judo injury - broke tibia, dislocated knee, damaged all ligaments, nerve injury. Initial LCL and MCL recon. July 01 - arthroscopy and removal of hardware. April 02 - further LCL repair July 02 - PCL recon Oct 05 - removal of hardware, removal of excess bone growth, double arthroscopy.

Offline Flame

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 05:38:50 PM »
I have been off work since April 30, 2004.  I am thinking about staring a business from home. Don't know when I will be able to return to work. I work retail and it requires alot of lifting and moving and twisting and I can't do that. So I will have to find a new career.

Flame :D

Offline jan uk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 08:24:21 PM »
Hi susan i had micro fracture and various other things in right knee and tear in left knee june 06 i'm still suffering and have been off work since the operations.jan
r/k patellar chrondroplasty,patellar debridement,lateral tear micro fracture.nerve problems l/k full dislocation lateral tear meniscus tear.twice.

Offline Amanda1975

• Regular Poster
  • Always been clumsy but this was not my fault
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 09:44:07 PM »
I was working in retail, the hours suited as I have a young family, but I was on my feet all the time, this brought on the symptoms though it was not the cause of my knee problem, I went on long term sick as the Dr was kickling his heels about the whole thing.  I eventually left, my wage missing became an issue so I retrained as a book-keeper and I now work from home.

Amanda
Degenerative Left Knee due to Maltracking Patellar Grade 3-4
Operation 25th June 2007
Lateral Release, Microfracture, shaved intrapatellar pad and Menisci Tidy Up
Right Knee chondromalacia patellar Grade 1
PT and HT awaiting review

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 11:02:12 PM »
Hi
 Had bilateral TKR Nov 22,2006. Was off work from then till March 26,2007. Had MUA in April. From March till now just part time. Will go full time in the next few weeks as PT will be over. 4mo off 4 mo part time. Had plenty of sick leave and a very understanding OS and boss.   CAROL

Offline garth

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:51 PM »
My boss changed my working week to 3 days as I was having so much trouble working for a full week. I think its helped a bit. I'm lucky my boss is so understanding. I think that my manager may be fed up with me though.

garth
Knee troubles since 1997
Dec 07 - Scope, just a clear up.
Feb 09 - Plica removal
Nov 09 - Lateral release
Mar 11 - More done to LR and some 'tweaks'
Nov 12 - Fulkerson and possible vmo advancement, dont know yet!

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 12:25:58 AM »
I fractured my patella in June of 06.  I had and ORIF after and returned to work in 4 weeks.  I had the screws removed and a VMO Advancement, LR and debridment in Janaury 07 since the screws were catching in the muscles.  I returned to work in 3 weeks.  I have a job where I do much meeting facilitation all over my 11 story building.   I do much standing up and sittitng.  While I have pain still, getting back to work was my goal since I find most of my emotional well being is tied to my job.  I think that you will find most of your responses will be from those who haven't been able to return to work quickly and have more problems with their knees.  The arthritis is very painful and I am facing a TKR in my future, but at 48 it was very, very important to me to manage the pain and work on PT.  I am very lucky I know, but each of us is different.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline Limping Welshman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 01:02:12 AM »
Hi,

I had an ACL recon (hammy) to the right knee on June 7th, because im in engineering (lifting, oily surfaces etc) ive got 8 weeks off! Just getting to 5 weeks post op tomorrow! back to work 3 weeks monday! Damn, all this time off and the weather has been awful!

Owen
Snapped ACL left leg (rugby) 1991
4 meniscal repairs while waiting for MRI
Acl recon 1997 (patella tendon)
Infection post op (3 more athroscopic jobbies)
lcl sprain to right knee (incorrect diagnosis)
Right acl snapped August 06
ACLR To right knee (hamstring) June 7th 07

brianne

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 03:05:58 AM »
I work.  Its probably not the best thing right now, but I need to pay my bills.  I work for Habitat for Humanity and in the summer my job involves being on my feet quite a bit.  I have resorted to being creative.  I use a chair and sit whenever possible, I delegate tasks out to people, and I make sure people know that I cannot do too much walking.

I was only off 10 days with both of my TTT's.

Brianne

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 05:40:29 PM »
i am the stubborn one.  I had ACL surgery on a Wednesday and Coached in a Gymnastics Competition on Saturday.  That was at the lovely age of 21. 

Now after 8 knee surgies and facing 2 tkr I work as an accountant.  I sit at my desk 40+ hours a week.
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline Brown Dog

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 07:01:14 PM »
I own my own retail business so I took 7 days off after meniscus trim and should have taken longer. It has made my recovery much longer because I am on my feet a lot. also have to do so lifting which is getting easier now after 8 weeks.

support