Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What are people's work status?  (Read 3278 times)

Offline scp203

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What are people's work status?
« on: January 22, 2006, 11:18:22 PM »
I am just curious whether people are working or not with their knee problems? I have been off work since August due to microfracture and complications. I am trying to get back ASAP but it requires 12 hour days on my feet. I've been looking through the bulletin boards to find other people's experiences with their knee issues and employment.

Just curious.

Susan

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: What are people's work status?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 11:41:17 PM »
Hi Susan, I was injured in an MVA in 2001. I tried going back to work but was unable to do so. I have not been able to go back to work since then. I have had complication after complication so I dont expect to ever be able to work again with my current health status. I do have more health problems than just the knee so I may be an exception.

missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline CarolineA

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:37:51 AM »
Hi Susan,
I shattered my patella in August, was off work for two months.  (I do IT support.)  Then worked from home for a month.  (I can connect to people's computers remotely, which was a godsend.)  Actually started going back into the office in November.  My boss and coworkers have been fantastic. Even though my doctor gave me a totally unrestricted work release, I still can't see myself hauling 30 pound monitors around the office like I used to.  I'd like to put a locked splin on my OS's leg and have him do some of the stuff he thinks I should be able to do!!! 

I hope you are able to get back to work soon.  Maybe a modified schedule?  It was really hard for me to go back.  Thought the commute alone would kill me.  It's really hard to ride public transit during rush hour with a leg that won't bend!!!  People just don't look where they are going and trip.  I arrived at work more than once in tears.  It was almost easier to stand, but people don't like to see people with canes standing. 

Caroline

Offline SheriBerry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 05:39:38 AM »
I have been off of work since day before Thanksgiving. I had my medial meniscus removed in full on my left knee on Dec. 29th. My job is a retail job, so it requires all day standing. I will be released back to work this coming week, but will only be allowed to work for 4 hours a day. The encouraging thing is that I will be able to work again!

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 10:46:03 PM »
Hi
I was off from the injury in march til end of may. Then back teaching, the summer hols were great then off another 10 weeks form end of oct til jan. Have returned on the condition I do not move classrooms, pupils come to me, i do no substitute cover teaching , do no extracurricular stuff and do not do a duty. This has been agreed up unytil half term when I will take everything back on and hope for the best.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »
Hi Susan,

The job I hold at the moment is as a Planning Inspector and I have to make site visits/building inspections. Not easy with a leg that doesn't work. I've held this post since September 2002 and in August 2003 I had TTT surgery. I was off work for 3 days, worked from home for a month (admin only) then returned to office based duties for 5 months. Had to take it easy from then on.
Had tendon transfer surgery in June 2005 & had 10 weeks off sick. Went back to work for 4 weeks on a phased return - office based and reduced hours. Because of complications I was then off sick again from 3rd. October, returning to work on 15th. December. I have just had more surgery on 13th January 2006 and I return to work (officially) on 6th. february. I have booked some annual leave so overall I'll have about 6 weeks off altogether. I have to return to my GP to get a note to recommend another phased return for a couple of weeks when I return.
Hopefully, all will be well with the leg from hell after that point. I'd like to give up work and take it easy so as not to damage my knee further. But I earn decent money adn would get incredibly bored at home. So, I'll work right up until the day I can't physically do my work.

regards,

Laura
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 01:09:37 AM »
Hi Susan,    good question,  I have been wondering the same thing myself.  I had a LR a year ago, and by all accounts should have been able to go back to work by now. But Unfortunately I have had constant swelling since the surgery ( which makes me limp) and because of this I can't weight bear too much at all. So my job as a kindy assistant was way too physical & demanding. I had that job for 15 years so was very hard to give up.  :(  I am 44 but am not ready to put out to pasture just yet.  ;)  I am going slightly insane from boredom and would like to do something, but don't know what, as I can't stand or sit for more than two hours at a time. And can't lift or carry things. hhmmmm... bit limiting ( not real good on computers either)  I have put my name down at agencies for temp work as reception, but competing with everyone who has office skills is a bit tricky.  You never know what is around the corner, good luck to everyone else out there trying to combat workforce and sore, swollen knees.   :-\  At least I get to sit down, ice and elevate when need be.  ( Maybe bored out of my mind and flat broke ) But there has to be some positive things about it !!   :P   Tomorrow is another day !!!!    :D
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline Jennifer82

• Regular Poster
  • "It's My Life!"
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 09:29:48 PM »
I worked as a Pharmacy Technician when I had my MVA in 2001. I worked up until 2003 when I had my knee reconstruction and I had to quit cause I could no longer stand. I went back to work in 2004 as a mail order Pharmacy Tech so I could sit at a desk but in 2005 when I had to have my TKR they fired me b/c I asked for 8 weeks off. So now I am facing another surgery so I have decided to put off looking for a job until I am better...if that ever happens!

Wishing everybody good days and hope maybe one day we will all be healthy and working again!

Jennie
Car Accident-2001
MCL, PCL, ACL recon r. knee- 6/01
3 Lateral Releases- 2001, 2002
Fulkerson TTT- 11/2002
Patella Reconstruction- 11/03
Scope/ligament revision-6/04
TKR 5/17/05
Screw removal 8/2005
Ocober 2006-Injured TKR DX: Torn MCL

Offline tkdgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 12:57:53 AM »
I stayed in bed for the first week after ACL/MCL/Medial and Lateral Meniscus work. For the second week my fiance hauled me up to the Karate School that we run, and I sat behind the desk and talked to people. After about 12 days I was back at my desk job part time, which was a challenge. Since my leg was locked strait, it was interesting getting in and out of cars....

I'm 4 months post op, and back at work full time, as well as back teaching Taekwondo 5 nights a week. I still limp, and can't bend my knee past 88 degrees, but I'm back at it.

My work is pretty understanding and accomodating about having to take time off for PT and OS visits.  My boss had his meniscus done this past summer - lucky for him no problems, unlike mine!

I see a new surgeon on friday!
Injury July 9, 2005
Left knee Reconstruction Oct. 5, 2005
Replaced ACL
Microfracturing on medical mensicus
Anchor in lateral meniscus
Stiches in MCL
Flexion stuck at 88 degrees since week 8
2nd Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo

Offline marann1947

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 01:16:20 AM »
Hi,
Had microfractures done last year in April 2004.  After being on crutches for 6 weeks, I was allowed to use my cane and return to work on light duty(I was workman's comp). It was July before I returned without restrictions.  Had my first round of synavisc injections in September.
Think the most important aspect of the microfractures, is to stay non-weight bearing as long as it takes.  I sure hope it works for you.
Am looking forward to having my TKR as soon as the correct implant is found.
Good luck.
MaryAnn

Offline jerman710

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 04:43:30 PM »
I twisted my knee on May 11, 2005 I've been off ever since then. I deliver home medical equipment ( oxygen, hosp beds, wheelchairs etc.) so I have to climb lots of steps and there is lots of heavy lifting involved. I'm sure the WC carrier can't wait until I'm back to work. My case manager is pretty understanding. She knows that I'm trying to get better.

Jerry
43 yrs old
6/21/05 arthroscopy rt knee meniscus tear
10/5/05 2nd arthroscopy rt knee another meniscus tear
2/15/06 Fulkerson, LR, debridement and yet another menscal tear Rt knee
10/18/06 microfracture right knee
10/23/09 debridement right knee
6/16/10 PFJR right knee scheduled

Offline Gill0611

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »
Hiya!
Injured my knee 2 years ago and went back to teaching job on crutches due to a forth coming inspection! I felt like this made my recovery time longer. So this time when i tore my ligament and possibly cartilage in december i said i would stay off as long as needed!!!! By January i was getting cabin fever. Tried going back to work as reception teacher and managed 3 days before I was in agony!!!
I have now agreed to go in for 2 days a week as i obviously can't manage more, too much moving involved with the little ankle biters!
Maybe this could be an option for you, my boss  has been quite sympathetic, especially when she sees me in so much pain!!!
Hope this helps!

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 12:37:44 PM »
Hiya. I tore my ACL on a Sunday in September and spent most of that day and the next in bed in severe pain. I went back to work on the Tuesday. I spend a lot of time on my feet in my job. I had an arthroscopy recently and had 7 days off to recover. The hospital said I needed 2 weeks but I felt fine and they said no driving for 2 weeks but I was fine as it's my left leg so it doesn;t have to do a lot.

LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 06:53:21 AM »
Hi Susan

I work for myself from home so I basically can come back when I need to (which is a good and bad thing!). The prob with having your own business though is that literally nothing gets done while I'm gone! I am lucky that my partner is the boss of his work so he could take a week off to work from home to look after me without too much hassle. I think I'll take off about 5 days total (but still do emails and phone calls after a few days) then start to get back behind the desk. One thing that you have to make sure of is that your desk allows your leg to be straight out under it because you can't bend it to sit down!

Offline miners

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 10:14:52 AM »
seeing as yuo want to know what work situations everyone is in with regards to their knee problems, I wanted to be An operating Theatre practitioner but due to the amount of time I fall and dislocate me knees I was classed a health and safety liability so I gave up my job working with the nhs operating theatres and now I qualified as a Lawyer- but whilst I wanted to be a litigator, my knee's still dominate what I can or can't do. due to the amount of court work I did not have the confidence to be running around the county from court to court so I have settled into a role in the firm as a Probate lawyer which means that I am office based. The boss knows that I have to work around my knee's and so far so good but it does rule your life!
miner uk
miners