Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 699 times)

Offline Sarah_Jane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP!!!!
« on: January 22, 2006, 09:14:54 PM »
Hiya everyone!

Would be grateful for any help here! Feel like I'm imagining things.  I've now been to see the doc three times about my knees.  I'm 30 years old and I have musical knees.  When I come down the stairs, my right knee crunches (a really long horrible crunch on every bend) and when I go up the stairs my left knee clicks.  My doc keeps telling me everyones knees make noises from time to time but this is all the time.  I fell down a step and twisted my leg funny last May and the noises started around that time.  The doctor is dismissing all this!  He said the noises are harmless and I can take painkillers.  I do have pain and swelling in my right knee, especially when I am resting, in bed or sitting.  The pain is across the front and to the inside.  The ache can be bad after a day in work too.  I work with primary children so I'm constantly bending to their level, kneeling etc.

Should I persist with the doctor?  I think he's sick of the sight of me!
Thanks!
Sarah x

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 09:18:26 PM »
I think you need to find yourself a new doctor -- quick! Is this doctor an orthopedist? You really should see one, preferably a doctor who deals specifically with knees. The pain and swelling you're describing is *not* normal, and you do not have to live with it and mask the pain with painkillers. That's outrageous! What you need is an accurate diagnosis, followed by a treatment plan. You are being blown off by this doctor, trust me.

Hang in there, and good luck!

Offline denise76

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 11:57:20 PM »
Hi Sarah - I agree with Karen.  I'm 29 and have had knee pain & swelling for 2 years.  I get the same runaround and have tried physio, etc, but they have not healed.  I realize now I have not been as persistent as I could be & now have another appointment to follow up because I took a wrong step recently & they are even worse.  I am practically dependant on my family & friends to drive me around and I have many sleepless nights.

get a second opinion and explain how it impacts your day to day activity.  does it affect your sleep? work? ability to drive?  stand for long periods of time?  if so, emphasize this.  if they try to blow you off, persist. bring a list of questions & your symptoms with you to the appointment so you don't forget.  it may be whatever you did can not be diagnosed by a simple physical exam of your knee, so they tend to treat it conservatively at first.

I have a family member in medicine who gave me this advice, trying to prep me for my upcoming appointment. 

wish me luck and the best to you
Denise

support