Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Got NHS appointment! (Glasgow, UK)  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Ally

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Got NHS appointment! (Glasgow, UK)
« on: March 20, 2003, 02:10:02 PM »
Hi,

Posted a wee while ago about my injury - whether it was ACL or meniscus as I've been told different things.

Knee has been better, still sticking sometimes and every so often gets a bit sore/stiff and I end up with a slight limp! :(

Seems the pain is fairly localised to the lower left of my knee cap, not over the entire joint, tho not sure if that means anything.

Got my appointment in for hospital - 3 months away which is good for the NHS.

Looking for a bit of advice on the kind of things I should be asking at this appointment?

Also - anyone dealt with any knee surgeons in Glasgow?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2003, 02:17:39 PM by Ally »
Football (Soccer) injury 03/01, GP&Physio, Badminton injury, 05/02, GP&Physio, injured sitting on floor (seriously!), visit to GP 02/04,said torn ACL. OS 06/03, no ACL damage, MCL and menicus, physio

Offline Kari

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Got NHS appointment! (Glasgow, UK)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 02:24:21 AM »
Ally,  
Nice that you have your appointment, and very wise that you are doing some research and preparing your questions in advance.
I have no experience in Glasgow...sorry.
Don't be afraid to ask anything.  Make sure you understand the answers.  Ask what the options are.

I have had both ACL and meniscus issues.  The ACL tear for me was often painless.  The meniscus was what I attributed the pain too.

Good luck.
Keep us posted.
Kari
1994: ACL reconstruction
Aug 2002:  Tibial Plateau fracture
July 2003:  Osteochondral allograft; 1 year non weight bearing

Offline jeanie

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 03:10:06 PM »
Hello Ally,

Sorry to hear about your knee problems .... three months seems a long time to wait. I'm in Glasgow too ! I was referred to an OS quite quickly via the  A and E department.
Depending on which hospital you are going to I may have some useful info . Send message if you want more details ...... and in the meantime good luck

Jeanie
Ski-ing 04/ 02. patella dislocation ruptured ACL MCL,  meniscus.10/02 MRI 11/02; ,menisectomy 2/03 MUA cortisone; haematoma/3/03MUA ;8/03 menisectomy,lysis adhesions 4/04 RSD/CRPS  2/05 Cortisone injection 11/05 lysis adhesions - infection 4/06 Botox injex hamstrings

Offline Ally

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 04:07:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies peeps, much appreciated.  ;D

This site is excellent, good to be able to look for advice and chat with people who have experienced similar problems and to maybe pick up on the odd thing that can help.

Jeanie - sent you a message re: Hospital and Doc I'm seeing, not sure about putting names and stuff on the board?

Football (Soccer) injury 03/01, GP&Physio, Badminton injury, 05/02, GP&Physio, injured sitting on floor (seriously!), visit to GP 02/04,said torn ACL. OS 06/03, no ACL damage, MCL and menicus, physio

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 09:14:40 AM »
Hi
Welcome to the board.
Questions you need to ask -
1. Torn ACLs are usually accompanied by feeling of instability of the knee. You do not describe this. On what findings has the GP made his/her evaluation? Is there laxity on the drawer test, is there a positive pivot shift test?
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/step_02_cruciates/step_02_diagnosis.html
2. Is there any indication of damage to the joint surface? The bit you find tender could very likely be the joint surface.
3. Do tests for the meniscus suggest any damage?
KNEEguru
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 10:24:30 PM by admin »
--
KNEEguru

Offline Ally

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 05:51:17 PM »
Hi KNEEGuru, thanks for the reponse!

So far I've had what I assume is the drawer test on several occations- me lying down with bent knee, and its pushed in and pulled forward. 3 docs and 2 physios did this and didn't find any problems, however the latest GP I saw did the test and diagnosed a torn ACL. However he didn't do the test on my other leg.

Joint actually feels pretty stable normally, I can squat and lift and so on. Get pain when I twist/turn sharply more than anything, and sometimes it 'sticks' straight and I have to gently bend it to get back to normal.

First injury came playing football/soccer, was knocked off balance when I tried to stop the ball, right leg was toally straight, foot flat on the ground, with all my weight on, joint locked and when I got my weight off it unlocked and made a crack sound. Didn't twist or anything. Had to get helped off tho I was able to limp around afterwards.

Went to A&E who did an x-ray and exam, and didn't diagnose any ligament damage, nor did GP and physio afterwards.  Second injury came from badminton, tried to turn to my right to run and me knee gave way and seemed to move in towards my left knee. Still no ligament damage diagnosed by GP/Physio.

On the meniscus point,  been told by last physio that I do seem to have some meniscus damage - diagnosed as she moved my knee in a certain way, from looking at your link this was a pivot shift test - and we both heard a sort of crack sound. This didn't cause discomfort or anything. However when I saw the latest GP he said I didn't have cartilage damage as I'm able to squat?

So in all I'm pretty confused, not really sure what the problem is!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2003, 12:29:57 PM by Ally »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 10:29:56 PM »
From your story a meniscus tear seems high on the cards. Read up about bucket-handle tears -
http://www.kneeclinic.info/problems_meniscal.php
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline Ally

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 11:39:28 AM »
Hi Kneeguru!

Sounds like a meniscal tear is a good bet - was surprised when I was told I had ACL damage as I've seen various footballers who've damaged their ACL and they seem in much more pain right after the injury than I was. I managed to hobble to my car and drive to A&E!

Hoping the surgeon I'm seeing can sort me out either way so I can get back to doing some sports. Also sounds like meniscus damage would require an easier op to sort out.

Thanks for your help!

Ally

support