Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can you rupture a ligament or Tendon by an impact inury?  (Read 705 times)

Offline soccerchick25

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can you rupture a ligament or Tendon by an impact inury?
« on: January 22, 2006, 05:51:19 AM »
I recently injured my knee in soccer. I slide tackled for a ball with my leg fully extended and then slammed into the bench on the sidelines (obviosuly they were too close to the feild). It was painful but I got up and walked off the feild. It started to swell and ended looking like I had a grapefruit on the inside of my knee. #1- I am not sure if I injured my knee from the extension or the impact. #2 I can walk on it just fine and went to the emergency room (because of the major swelling) and there were no breaks but he proceeded to tell me with that amount of swelling I probably have a ligament tear.
This morning my knee was still very swollen (even part of my shin) and had a massive bruise. The swelling is so bad that I do not have full ROM in my knee. Is the bruise a good sign that I didn't tear anything and it is just a bruise? Can you rupture a ligament from an impact? Good the extension possibly of been where the injury came from?

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Can you rupture a ligament or Tendon by an impact inury?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 08:44:30 AM »
I beleive tht you certainly can, but the extent will depend on the force and mechanism.  I ruptured my ACL by hyperextending, apparently the most common injury when you hypreextend.  The Sports Dr I saw told me that you can tear and rupture ligaments from a blow to the side of the knee....

I'd get in and see an OS if you can...... just to put your mind at rest..... even if you find something wrong you can at least start to make decisions as to how you are going to treat it.

Alla
Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

Offline raquetball1

• Forum Faithful
  • RACQUETBALL--WALL TO WALL--INSANITY
Re: Can you rupture a ligament or Tendon by an impact inury?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 05:00:50 PM »
You can rupture you acl by many mechanisms.  Certainly, impact that causes a , sometimes imperceptible, twisting of the knee can tear the acl.  People react different physiologically to injury.  I had no swelling nor discoloration to either knee when I tore ligaments.  I would certainly follow up with an Orthopod on your knee if there is blood in the knee capsule since the blood can act caustically on the structures of the knee.   Best of luck. 
autopatellar acl recon Nov. 2004 at age 51

Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech.