Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Smashed Patella accident  (Read 762 times)

Offline PBLong

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Smashed Patella accident
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:51:08 AM »
had an accident at work where i fell very heavily onto concrete, landing on my left knee, and then had timber fall on top of me. I was taken to hospital immediately and had lengthy surgery to repair my shattered patella. It was fixed back together using screws and wires - This happened 10 years ago. Since then i have had the metalwork removed and the back of the patella scraped twice. It has become progressively more painfull over the yeasrs to the point know where sleeping is difficult and concentrating to work becomes difficult. The patella is rough on the back and can be heard by others in the room when i use the stairs or other high strain movements. I have seen a consulant again who says i am too young for a knee replacement (45) and so will just have to use pain killers. Having now tried 4 different sorts (some too weak, others strong enough but me very dizzy and sick) with not much success what can anyone suggest. Would a knee brace help if it transfered some load from top to bottom of my leg away from the knee.
Any thoughts ????

Paul

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Smashed Patella accident
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 04:04:17 PM »
Have you any time talked with a doc or a phys about it ?
If you have possibilities maybe it would be worth trying. There is one area if you scroll down where you can ask about braces and get more specific answers. Why not also make a topic under TKR section to see if others have had help from braces.
Wish you best of luck in finding help.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline anxiousknee14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:47:19 PM »
yes i think i brace would be a very good idea. i myself are having major knee surgeries right now and im only 14 the docs are actually considering a knee replacement for me since my knee is so screwed up (pardon the language) they say to take med that either doesnt help or im allergic to. they say do physical therapy that is to painful. the only thing that ever helps for me is the brace. TRY THE BRACE for once
best of wishes
cms
born without knee cap groves
has had 2 major knee surgeries
possibe patellectomy this summer
knee cap shaped like rock
constant pain and falling
"its easier to run, replacing all this pain with something numb"
"these words are all i have so i write them, i seem to need them just to get by"

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 10:33:03 AM »
Have you looked into cartilage repair or replacement surgeries? The patella is a difficult place to treat but it may be possible to find an OS who can help you. Get another opinion from a salvage expert. You dont want to live in pain for the next 10 yrs. I am going in for aPKR next month to alleviate my unending pain and I am only 42. The TKR is in my future but hopefully the PKR will give me some relief for several years.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia