Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help understanding MRI jargon  (Read 876 times)

Offline srj321

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help understanding MRI jargon
« on: January 21, 2006, 09:45:38 AM »
Hi all,

Just had an MRI scan on my right knee which came back with the following summary...

"Degeneration and complex tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. O.A. changes of the patello-femoral compartment with minor lateral paterllar hangover. Undisplaced osteochondral lesion of the anterior third of the most lateral aspect of the medial femoral condyle".

Before I go back and see my OS can anyone give me a heads up in layman terms as to what they are going on about.  And what possible options there are apart from surgery (having briefly spoke to the OS I think this is his preferred option).

Thanks in advance.

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Help understanding MRI jargon
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 11:40:44 AM »

"Degeneration and complex tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. O.A. changes of the patello-femoral compartment with minor lateral paterllar hangover. Undisplaced osteochondral lesion of the anterior third of the most lateral aspect of the medial femoral condyle".

HI srj ~ There's a medial meniscal tear which is probably why your OS is talking surgery. The degeneration is generally a sign of wear & tear & the condyle lesion seems to go along with the impact that caused the meniscal tear. Best unprofessional guess...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

support