Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Fracture PT -- Need Advice  (Read 892 times)

Offline ladiemedusa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Fracture PT -- Need Advice
« on: January 21, 2006, 01:48:57 AM »
Hi, I just found this site today--- it is such a relief to see how others are dealing with their pain and suffering.  I fell 2 weeks ago and broke my patella in half.  I had surgery the next day and they inserted a screw along with wires to wrap around it and the tendon.  My surgeon is recommending PT to begin next week, just 3 weeks post op.  On the one hand I am excited to begin my road to recovery, but on the other hand I am really scared that this is too soon.  I still can't go down stairs because I can't put much weight on my leg, and I can't raise my leg straight off the floor.

Does anyone have any insight on the right or normal amount of time between surgery and beginning PT?   I would appreciate any feedback at all.

Thanks!

Lindsay

Offline Richie392

• Regular Poster
Re: Patella Fracture PT -- Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
Hi Lindsay!

I broke mine also in two pieces (10th of May 2005). Surgery was on 18th. PT began on 8th of June, about 4 weeks post accident. So I think it's ok for you to begin PT as soon as possible. The earlier they begin to try to get tendons and tissue smooth again, the faster you come back to normal condition. And... be patient! It will normally take months until you can go stairs 'normally'!
Bone healing takes 6 weeks normally, so be careful with PT. Normally pain is a good indicator if you're doing right or wrong!

Wish you great success!

Bye,
Richard

PS Also have a look at "Bone breaks around the knee" here in this forum.

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
Re: Patella Fracture PT -- Need Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:09:48 AM »
Hi, it was 5 weeks before I started PT but that was because I had a bad break ( 3 pieces and torn tendons.)  My doc said I could have started earlier but he wanted to make sure my knee had a good healing process before starting.  Doctors always look at the X-ray before allowing you to go to PT.  At first your PT will basically work with your ROM ( Range of Motion ) before stating any heavier PT.  3 weeks I doing PT and still working on ROM which is 115 and thats good.  It will be another few Weeks before I start stairs.  Pt said bone had to 100% healed before doing stairs.  After my first week of therapy I was able to drive.  Once I could bend my knee to get into the car, it was ok.  Thank goodness I broke my left knee and not the right one.  Its now been 8 weeks since the accident ( slipped on ice ) and I am well on my way to recovery and things are finally getting better.  Its a up hill battle now.  The most important thing for you is do all your physical therapy, do everything they tell you too and you'll get well quicker.  The therapy is very painful and I find taking a Vicodin a hour before theapy really helps me to push myself doing the knee bends.  I am able to stand the pain therefore ,I can really bend my knee good, which improves my ROM.  I have tried to do without pills and I cant take the pain.  Good luck to you and keep us posted.

tippyclubb

support