Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: minor operation of the patella.  (Read 873 times)

Offline saab

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
minor operation of the patella.
« on: January 20, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
my mom has just fractured her knee , and the doc says it requires a minor operation. i just want to know whether it is a minor operation?  i think it is a fracture of the patella.

please let me know if it will be a minor operation or not?

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
Re: minor operation of the patella.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 01:06:29 AM »
That depends on how bad the break is and how she heals.  I fractured my patella and it is not minor.  Mine was broke into 3 pieces and torn tendons.  It all depends on her break.   Sometimes they don't really know because x-rays do not always show everything. Once he opens up the knee he can tell the damage and be able to give you a rough estimate of her recovery time.  Each case is different and will depend upon how quickly her body heals, and her ability to do physical therapy after surgery.

tippyclubb

Offline carolin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I could "gopher" a drink right now!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:33:55 AM »
I fractured my patella in August 2005 (age 55) and had reconstruction surgery. I have a figure 8 wire and 2 pins in my knee. I started walking 6 mos. after surgery unaided but never fully regained ROM or Flex. I still have some scar tissue & that makes it harder & somewhat painfull to use my recumbent bike. I use a Rollater/walker to get around in the Malls and still have stiffness in the knee & quads in the mornings. Recovery has been a slow process in my case but I wish your mother all the best.

cheers
Carolin in Canada
Having an out of body experience.....Back in 5....
fractured patella
surgery Aug 27, 05

Offline sasab

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
hello, when I fell over after both my knees dislocated I fractured my knee and leg bone a bit came off. Also i ripped and tore all my ligaments as the patella tore through them.  I had to have an operation where all my bits were sewn back into place, also i had a steel pin inserted to anchor the patella.  I was put in a full leg cast for 5 weeks and introduced back to walking slowly as the hinges on the brace were released a bit at a time.  I had physio everyday at home with mum(bully) and at the hospital weekly.  After the cast came off my leg looked thin and funny.  Over the next 6 weeks i walked better and better and then was back to normal.  waiting for the operations to try and stop my knees dislocating.  This i had done toghether and I will say that this was far worst painwise and dependcy on mum and others. This left me with worst problems than the fracture that was a breeze in comparision.  Tell your mum not to worry and be brave oh and to make sure you all weight on her hand and foot!  Please let me know how your mum get on.

Offline nlb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:10:43 PM »
I am an orthro nurse and work on a surgical floor.  I also suffer from knee problems.  My ortho tells me after I feel I am taking too long to recover that knee surgery is not minor and everybody heals differently.  Depending on what they find when they get in there will tell of her recovery.  Good luck.