Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: acl surgery using hamstrings  (Read 1457 times)

Offline deb660_2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
acl surgery using hamstrings
« on: January 20, 2006, 01:52:59 PM »
 I injured my knee 5yrs ago and have only just been diagnosed with a torn ACL. Can anyone tell me how long the surgery takes and what recovery is like? I am 39. :-\

Offline Gill0611

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: acl surgery using hamstrings
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »
My brother had this operation in June 2004 and said it's the best thing he did! He only went in for day surgery and he did have about 6+ weeks of physio. Now his knee is stable and he's 32. Good luck!

Offline deb660_2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:03:25 PM »
thanks for your advice gill

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 05:42:21 PM »
Errrr....
I am 12 weeks post op from this. It is Major re-hab!!!!!!I am 35.

Return to full sports is around 9 months for a professional athlete and usually 12 to 18 months for the rest of us. At 12 weeks post op I am still aware of the operated leg and it causes frequent discomfort. I currently exercise around 9 hours a week on top of my teaching job to try to regain strength, fitness and proprioception. Having the reconstruction done was 100% the right decision for me, but if you look on the cruciate section further down the board you will read posts from people 7 or 8 months post op who are still working to get 'full recovery'. My surgeon told me that the operation was half the story and my rehab in the following year was the other half!

Hope you can research some good stuff on this. There is a section on ACL recon on the main website too.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline deb660_2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »
thanks for the advice sparkle. how long were you in theatre and did you have to stay in or was it day surgery? :-\

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »
Hi
had surgery 3 ish in the afternoon and left hospital lunchtime the day after. Some surgeons have a more conservative protocol but mine is quite aggressive with his rehab. The hospital PT saw me the morning after and got me up and walking in a splint, checked i could do stairs etc and gave me exercises. I was not given crutches and told to try and do a 15 min walk every day. Initially this was about 400 yards! I was driving at 5 weeks(some people seem to drive earlier) and cleared to go back to work at 8 weeks(but that was later than normal because I'm a teacher and on my feet all day). My family helped but I was able to do most things pretty quickly, clingfilming the wound to have a shower and making my own meals and drinks etc. Physio was twicw a weeks for the first few weeks then one physio and one hydrotherapy each week and now just physio once a week. Do think about how you will get to your pT appts when you can't drive. I'm not as speedy as some who post on this board but my surgeon and PT are really pleased with my speed of recovery and especially determination to get back to normal. The amount of gym work is boring and time-consuming! I started light jogging(for 5 mins) at week 12 though some start at week 10 I think. Hope that's helpful to you.
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline deb660_2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
thank you sparkle. I know that I have to have this op for the sake of my son, as, I have been denied any real physical play with him since he was walking. I've taken on board what you have said and can prepare myself for not doing a marathon 2 days post op!!
Think I just want it over and done with!!
Deb x

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »
Yeah, I've got kids too aged 10 and 11. They've had to help loads more and we haven't been able to do so much family stuff like netball in the garden or bike rides. But it's getting better all the time now:)
xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline Alla

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 11:41:19 PM »
Hey there

Sparkle is very right!!   Im 9 months down the track post ACL reconstruction.  It is a big journey, but in my case well worth it.  I am still very aware of my recovering leg.... and stil am not able to run properly.  Most of it is in my head because I limped and protected my bad leg for so long.....last night I ran for 30 seconds on the treadmill for the first time since I injured it in December 2004.

The operation itself took less then an hour in my case.  I was billed for 55 minutes under anesthesia.  I was released from hospital the following day.  My OS is also agressive with his rehabilitation protocol..... I had my first PT session before I left the hospital.  At the moment I am going to the Gym every second day to try to regain the quad muscle that I lost.... then I should be home and hosed.

Alla

Torn ACL December 04
ACL Reco May 05
Cleared to return to sport May 06

harry78

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »
Hello Deb,

My own opinion about the surgery is that it is such a common procedure nowadays and that most surgeons perform a large number of ACL reconstructions in the year. For example my OS said that he had done around a hundered in year at least and so this makes them very trustworthy when placing and tensioning the graft. The rehab will be down to your commitment, given that the surgery itself is only around a hour (but in your case if you ruptured your knee 5 years ago, then there could be meniscus damage too) and then you have the knee there in front of you to work on. So gear yourself up and be ready for the rehab, age is not an issue here-what is is the way you can regain strength and the dynamic function of the knee always staying positive.
Hope this helps Harry. :)

Offline deb660_2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 07:34:58 PM »
Thanks harry
Any positive remarks are welcome, it certainly helps to hear the stories of others having had the same procedure, at least i have some idea of what to expect. Thank you :)