Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 Months OATS post-op  (Read 3065 times)

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • glad to have my knee back again
6 Months OATS post-op
« on: March 07, 2003, 08:18:38 PM »
I am now at the 6 month mark after my OATS  and just got some great news.  The latest set of x-rays show a really nice surface on the knee--I think it is safe to say that the operation was a complete success.  
Even without the x-rays, I would have said everything is good; I have almost complete ROM, no pain going up or down stairs, my VMO has magically reappeared after the second round of PT and my quads are getting stronger every day!  :D :D :D
The only problem I have is that the site from which the transplant was taken is still very very sore.  That lateral part of the knee is also still numb and will probably remain so for another little while.
I am ready now to start doing more active sports--golfing, hiking, power walking, etc and am sure the knee will hold up fine.
If anyone wants/needs information about the OATS procedure, I am more than happy to share my experiences.  
I wish my virtual Kneebuddies all the best--happy healing!!!
Here's to healthy knees,
Mary Jane
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline dennisd

• Regular Poster
Re: 6 Months OATS post-op
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 08:25:32 PM »
Hi Mary Jane,

Congrats on the great news  :) :) :). I am so happy that things are looking up and up for you. I know how excited you must be to get back to a normal life and wish you all the best.

Dennis
LR 11/14/02
PCL Recon 2/14/03
Scope 3/12/03
Oct 2003 Left knee surgery
1/04 yet more knee surgery

Offline oneillii

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2003, 12:33:13 AM »
Hi MJ

So happy for you, and thanks for sending a bit of good news our way...I think we all need to feel there is hope when things aren't going well! Susan
arthroscopy 11/06/02

Offline Linda

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 11:48:21 PM »
Yay MJ!

Good for you. Keep the good stuff going.
Linda
LR and Chondrplasty 1/22/02, Clean-up, Chondroplasty and biopsy 6/4/02, AC Implant 11/6/02, Micro fracture and adhesion clean up 8/12/03

Offline martiniswiller

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 04:58:19 AM »
Mary Jane,
I really couldn't be happier for you.  These great results couldn't happen to a nicer person!!!

Lesley
LR on left knee 8/01, LR & Chondroplasty on right knee 1/02.. had OATS procedure 9/26/02. Possible torn meniscus in left knee, but battling breast cancer, so knee is on hold!

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • glad to have my knee back again
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 12:28:30 PM »
After all the enthusiasm about having a "new" painfree knee, I guess I overdid it a bit....
I started doing too much and probably a bit too soon as it turns out.  My knee didn't like all the new exercise and after golf, I suddenly developped a lot of pain and some swelling, like small quail eggs, right over the donor site and under the implant site....In addition,  the snap, crackles and pops started to get much worse.  So, having learned what to do from this great site, I did  RICE and anti-inflammatories managed to get the swelling down.  But the pain remained so I called my OS here and saw him yesterday.  
He told me that this had been MAJOR surgery, that even though everything looks great on x-ray, the knee is still healing and that the knee is never going be back to 100%!  :-/ :-/
He doesn't think I damaged anything, the noises are normal, and to come back sooner rather than later if the knee doesn't settle down.
So I guess it's back to leisurely walks and maybe mini-golf for the next little while.  
cheers from a somewhat chastised
MJ
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

support