Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL deficient knee  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Taps

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL deficient knee
« on: January 18, 2006, 11:17:19 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to the board and was wondering if anyone might be able to offer an opinion on my current state.

I am 30 and tore my right acl about 12 yrs ago and after consulting an OS, and I wasnt too keen on surgery, did not have a reconstruction.  Fast forward to about 16 months ago and I was experiencing constant pain in the medial compartment of the knee and after x-rays and two OS consultations, the prognosis was not good and the concensus was that there was significant narrowing of the medial compartment due to excessive wear of the cartlidge and that an open wedge HTO to re-align the joint to take the pressure of this damaged compartment was the best option at this point to prolong TKA and to buy time to hopefully let modern medicine come up with something special.

Prior to going ahead with the procedure, my OS did an arthroscope (April last year) to check the lateral compartment was defect free and that the HTO was going to work.  During the scope he discovered a large flap of cartilige which he believed might be the cause of the immediate pain, removed it, and did nothing else hoping to leave things as is until further signs of pain.  Things have been pretty good since the surgery and I have been limiting my exercise to general day to day walking and bike riding.  However, I was at the beach about 2 weeks ago and was hit by a wave on the outside of my right knee and I felt my knee give way (similar feeling to instability with no acl).  Following this event, I had pain in the back of my knee on the ouside and sometimes a feeling of instability for about 4-5 days, and then things have been ok.  Yesterday, I went to the gym to spend some time on the bike and eliptical machine, and then finished with a swim.  After a couple of laps of free style, I started to swim breast stroke, and on my first or second kick, it felt like my knee buckled and I have pain in the knee when walking and it feels like it is behind the patella.  The pain isnt every step and is there when I endeavour to fully extend my leg and almost feels like the knee gets to a point and cant extend any further because something is preventing it.  However this is only under load, when sitting i can straighten the leg and feel nothing.

Does have anyone have any thoughts as to what could be the cause of the pain behind my knee and also at the back of the knee as a result of the last 2 weeks, and secondly, is there anyone else out there with a similar situation with their knee (ACL deficient with meniscus detoriation) who can share experiences.

Thanks heaps.           

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: ACL deficient knee
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:38:37 PM »
Taps,

There are people out there with ACL deficent knees for sure, some seem to do really well and other's don't.  Here is an article that might be of interest to you.  Check out the tabs at the top of the page of the article.  Good luck.  ~Shade

http://www.aclsolutions.com/treatmen.php
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 01:05:53 PM »
Hi Taps ~ Life is interesting w/o an ACL. I'm almost 68 yo & just ruptured my ACL last Spring along with putting a tear in my medial meniscus & MCL with what I realize now are the usual addons like joint effusion, Baker's cyst, medial & lateral condyle abnormalities, bone bruising etc. When the doctor read the report to me about the extent of damage I laughed & suggested it might have been easier to tell me what was still intact.

That being said, I do just about everything I always did - hiking over hill & dale with 3 large dogs who vastly outweigh me - on leashes. I ride my horse, work at the farm mucking out stalls & pushing heavy wheelbarrows. BUT...I'm not doing any major pivoting or jumping & I do have a custom brace I wear when I feel I might further jeopardize whatever integrity is left in my knee.

Like you, I don't want any surgery so will do whatever I need to do to protect this knee. Like you, too, I have pain behind my knee particularly on the lateral side. I have no idea what it is & just live with it. Interestingly it'll wake me out of a sound sleep but never bother me when I'm bearing weight. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Taps

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 09:36:35 PM »
Thanks for the posts guys!

support