Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1 1/2 years after arthroscopy- knee pain  (Read 10897 times)

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
1 1/2 years after arthroscopy- knee pain
« on: March 19, 2003, 08:24:38 AM »
1 1/2 years after my arthroscopy (due to injury) I am having knee pain again and have had it for several months.  During my arthroscopy the doctor smoothed down some cartilage and originally he thought my ACL was torn but it turned out to be "wavy" so he used something to shrink it back to where it was straight again.

I went back to him a couple of weeks ago and as he felt my knee he told me there may be more cartilage damage or arthritis from the injury may have already started to set in....but I think he's leaning toward the cartilage damage.  Also, the swelling in my knee never has gone completely away. I've been going to PT for almost 2 weeks and will go back to the doctor this week.  The first week of PT I was doing the bicycle, leg press, and leg lifts but the pain remained the same and at times felt worse so this week she toned it down to using the ultra sound and EMS (electrical muscle stimulation), which I still can't feel any difference in the pain.  

I realize I haven't been going to therapy that long and it takes time but I'm not sure what "normal" results should be.  After talking to the PT about the pain she seems to be under the impression that I'm probably going to have to have surgery again.  Mostly the pain is in the front of my knee when I'm squatting or going up and down starts (sharp pains) and aches a lot when I'm sitting or standing for long periods of time.

Has anyone experienced anything similiar to this before....a year or so after surgery? Any similiar experiences or advice will be appreciated.  I go back to the doctor this week and he mentioned before he may have an MRI done.

Thanks....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 08:27:50 AM by dcakes »

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
Re: 1 1/2 years after arthroscopy- knee pain
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 11:05:36 AM »
Well, I don't know if it's reassuring or not, but I'm just over a year post arthro for a microfracturing and stuff following an injury and I'm still having a lot of random pains - muscle aches above and below my knee, pain across the front under my knee cap and occaisional sharp stabs of pain to remind me I've been sitting in one position too long...

It comes and goes - yesterday, could barely move it, and the joint was locking occaisionally, today it's hurting, and I'm aware of it, but I'm walking normally again.

I'm sort of pondering whether I should be ambling back and having them have another look, but it does cross my mind this could be perfectly normal and I'm just being whiney.
I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline eurofrenchie29

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I miss skating.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 08:43:12 PM »
Hi there, I just read you message and I am sorry to hear that your knee still hurts.  It's actually scary for me to hear this because i just had a scope done in November of 2002.  My knee get's the same pain your describing.  The first time I felt the sharp pain was when I went to go to the washroom in the middle of the night.  The minute I put my foot on the floor I fell and the pain hurt so bad I was ready to call 911.  I didn't know what was going on.  When I called for my boyfriend he put some ice on it and I practiced some relaxation techniques.  The pain subsided 10 minutes later.  When i found out from my doctor she told me what I was experiencing was arthritis/arthrosis at it's finest hour.  Needless to say I was scared to hear that this is the progression of what I have.  I started doing yoga more frequently and found it to be great benifit to me.  So to make a long story short, Have you ever tried Yoga? ;D
Osmond Clark Aggravation Test Positive/Gr lV patellar femoral change/Gr ll medial tibial change/Scope in 2002/Future knee replace/Chondromalacia/Cronic Pain/All thanks to falling on some ice.

Offline katie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 11:16:21 AM »
You know actually, I'm starting to wonder if my knee pain isn't due to my knee but is this Reflex Sympathetic thing - maybe there's nothing actually wrong with my knee except that it hurts?

Anyone know if that's likely or anything. (Yes, I am going to the Drs to get referred back to hospital for a check, but that's not till Monday).
I'm a grouchy software engineer with a sore knee. And I'm bad in the mornings. And I haven't had enough coffee. What was it you wanted doing again?

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2003, 07:12:32 AM »
Well, I went back to my OS a couple of weeks ago and instead of setting up an MRI like he said he would likely do after the 2 weeks of therapy I had, he had me do 2 MORE weeks of therapy and told me to just keep trying doing the bicycle.  So, the past two weeks I've gone in everyday during the week and doing the bicycle for about 10-15 minutes (that's all my knee could take), doing my table exercises, and the EMS (electronic muscle stimulator).  My knee actually feels a little worse.  In fact, the amount of time I can sit or stand without it starting to hurt is coming in shorter spans.  

The anti-inflammatory he gave me the first time didn't do anything for me so two weeks ago he gave me Celebrex and that did nothing.  I go back tomorrow and I'm just really frustrated.  I don't mind going to therapy but the more I do the more it hurts so at this point I don't think it's helping.  I'm hoping he'll go ahead and do the MRI to at least see if it shows anything.  Of course, if it ends up not showing anything I don't know what will happen next.  All I know is it hurts and aches and I would like it to stop.

Thanks for letting me vent.....

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2003, 04:27:43 PM »
Ask him if you're overdoing it. I was always told not to exercise two days in a row, that the muscles needed time to rebuild. Also, if it hurts in the joint, you may be doing too much and not giving it time to rest. In fact, I finally had to quit PT because it was causing too much pain in the joint. Just a thought.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline MeganJRA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 06:49:14 AM »
My first knee surgery was due to injury, but the 2 surgeries following that were not.  I am a firm believer that surgery only worsens the problem, but I understand that in the case of injury it is sometimes the only resource.  After 3 surgeries on my right and 1 on my left, I wonder is I will ever stop having surgeries.  I went to the doc Friday with chronic pain and he does not want to do surgery again (thank goodness!).  He gave me a Cortesone (sp?) shot in each knee, but I haven't felt better yet.  How long does the shot usually take?  I have never had them before.

I have also found that when I exercise alot the pain aorsens.  My doc tells me not do weight bearing exercises, but since he's told me that, I have gained 10 pounds!!  I don't know what to do!

I hope everything goes well, and I wish everyone a relatively pain-free day.

Megan

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 07:02:44 AM »
I went back to the doctor and now we are just waiting on an approval for an MRI (it's Workers' Comp and I had one MRI before I had surgery the first time so this would be my second MRI).  After that...who knows what will happen.  The pain seems to be getting worse, if anything, so I'm waiting now to find out what my options are.  He decided not to give me any more drugs until we do the MRI since the last thing he gave me (Celebrex) didn't do anything.  So, no more therapy or anti-inflammatories for now.

I haven't ever had Cortizone shots so I don't know what that's supposed to do, if they're even an option, or if they even work.  

As far is therapy I was doing goes, all I was doing in therapy the last couple of weeks is riding the stationary bike for 10 minutes and then they put the EMS electrodes on my knee for 15 so I'm sure I didn't overdue the therapy.

The doctor keeps bringing up the grinding in my knee and from the way he's talking he seems to think there's more cartilage damage or something...Hopefully this week we'll do the MRI and go from there.....

Offline dcakes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 04:33:06 AM »
Quick update...My OS finally got an MRI set up yesterday so I"m anxiously awaiting those results which they'll probably get the report tomorrow. He mentioned the grinding again the last time I saw him and I have no meds to take right now so I'm ready to find out the next step in this journey.

My knee is still hurting a lot and laying on that MRI table didn't help one bit.....Now it's just a waiting game....

Offline bayrab

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Gotta ride - despite bum knee!
    • BayRab Acres
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 07:57:08 AM »
Y ou have my sympathy. I had a scope in 1991 following a meniscal tear in an accident. The knee still hurt a lot more than I expected it to. A year later, a new MRI revelaed a torn ACL... now I'm told my next stop is a TKR...I've done lots of PT and it just made it worse.. I think it exacerbated the arthritis...

One tihng I've found out is that the new anti arthritis drug Bextra works really well for me, but I have to take it in 20 mg dosage to get the benefits. It's easier for women to get that dosage than men, because it's prescribed at that dose level for menstrual cramps! My husband has argued and argued with the insurance company, but they won't approve him at that dose, he can only get it at 10 mg...

chris

support