Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee replacement manipulation  (Read 959 times)

Offline pooch120

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee replacement manipulation
« on: January 14, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »
Hi, I'm new here.  I am 5 and a half months post tkr and my surgeon wants to do a manipulation.  My leg is very stiff and my bend is only 96degrees or so.  I walk totally normal but have a problem with stairs or any sort of bending.  I haven't read of too many success stories with the mua. especially this long after surgery, so if anyone has any information or experience with this that could help me please let me know.
Thanks, Margaret

Offline bear

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: knee replacement manipulation
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 12:58:57 AM »
Hi Margaret,

I have not had a TKR.  However, I did have an MUA 4.5 weeks ago and am doing well.  I completely tore my ACL on August 1st.  Due to poor advice and backed up PTs, I was not able to start therapy for nearly a month.  By early December, 4.5 months after the initial injury, I could not bend my knee past 90 degrees no matter how hard I worked in therapy.  I had never had surgery - this is just how I reacted to the original injury. 

I couldn't take it any longer, and knew from this site that if I didn't address the problem it might cause long term damage.  So I had an MUA on 12/14.  I can now bend my knee to 135 degrees after getting on a bike, and it easily goes to 105+.  I had no problems with the manipulation.  I asked my OS numerous times what the negative effects might be (damage to the meniscus, cartilage, whatever) because I was worried.  But she did a great job.  She also went in arthroscopically to remove some of the scar tissue. 

My life is improving, and my knee is feeling better every day.  I do not know what the risks are with an MUA after a TKR, though. 

good luck!
bear
ACL complete tear
MCL partial tear
Soccer, 8/1/05

Offline queenie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • 2 min operations, 1total knee replacement,1 mua-re
Re: knee replacement manipulation
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:09:33 PM »
Hi, I'm new here.  I am 5 and a half months post tkr and my surgeon wants to do a manipulation.  My leg is very stiff and my bend is only 96degrees or so.  I walk totally normal but have a problem with stairs or any sort of bending.  I haven't read of too many success stories with the mua. especially this long after surgery, so if anyone has any information or experience with this that could help me please let me know.
Thanks, Margaret

i had mua on 1/9. in my case it didi not improve my rom-but scar tissue was removed,i have range of only 60-very poor-i have an appt. with a new dr. tomorrow, as the first dr. said there is not much he could do.mua is recom. usually within the first 8 weeks. good luck to you  8)
Queenie