Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: minor injury?  (Read 655 times)

Offline grey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
minor injury?
« on: January 08, 2006, 06:18:36 PM »
Evening all, could do with a bit of advice.. Approx 3 weeks ago I hurt my right knee by kind of jumping & landing sideways. The pain soon went but came back strongly later that night. Couldn't put much pressure on it, felt like giving way etc. After maybe 5 days or so I could walk without limping, but would someitmes give when going down a step or something, and cause pain. It has gradually improved where I can do more without causing pain, but sometimes when I think it's all ok I'll jump off it, say up a step or something, & get the sharp pain back. It goes after a while tho'.. 

If I'd actually torn something would I have more severe symptoms? (As I said it was only a few weeks ago & can pretty much walk ok without noticing it, it's just the odd movement here & there that causes probs.)

Thanks..

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: minor injury?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:44:56 PM »
Hmmm. I think if you did serious damage you'd be getting a lot of pain and swelling. If it's just the odd pain here and there, then I'd say you should just try to be careful and see if the pain continues to go away. If it doesn't, or if it gets worse, I'd get it checked out by an orthopedist. Try elevating your leg and applying ice several times a day and see if that helps. Hope it feels better soon. :)

Offline kendra

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 10:04:47 PM »
It sounds like you may have sprained one of your ligaments.  Partial tears are supposed to really hurt and you'd get alot of swelling.  Full tears don't really hurt, but your knee becomes the size of a melon and you can't walk well at all.  Karen gives good advice, ice it, elevate it, stay off it was much as possible  and see how it feels then.  In what part of your knee do you feel pain?  When it gives does it feel as if its buckling left to right or front to back?  If it really concerns you and doesn't seem to be getting better you should get it checked though.
11/6/05 Grade 3 tear PCL/MCL in horse accident, tore both menisci
12/15/05 PCL/MCL recons, menisci fixed
3/28/06 Finally over the hump in rehab, things are lookin' good!

Offline grey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:35:31 PM »
Thanks both of you for the replying, was hoping you'd say something like that!  :D

Had no swelling whatsoever so hopefully it's nothing 'proper'. Can't really remember what way the knee was giving but I'd say most of the pain is towards the back & on the outside edge? I've not really thought about it to be honest..

Anyway thanks again, I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks,

Grey