Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 weeks to go........  (Read 1806 times)

Offline *a*m*y*

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 weeks to go........
« on: January 08, 2006, 04:11:13 PM »
Hi all

I'm due to have ACL reconstruction surgery in 2 weeks time and am starting to get a bit nervous.

I've been waiting for the surgery for the past year... and up until a few days ago, was actually looking forward to it. I've had a pretty bad year of my knee dislocating at every opportunity, being in quite a bit of pain and generally walking around very tentatively, so couldn't wait to get things fixed.

It's now dawned on me what I'm letting myself in for and butterflies have started in my stomach.

My surgeon has been great and explained how everything will go, but there's always a million questions that come into your head when you're at home.

I'm worrying about stupid things like how big the scar will be, how painful will it be (had an arthroscopy, my knee put back into place and meniscus taken out in Jan 2005 and that was bad enough), how quickly will rehab start, when I will be walking normally again etc etc etc

Any helpful advice and reassurance would be welcomed immensely.

Thanks
Torn ACL and MCL playing rugby
Arthroscopy and meniscectomy Jan 2005
ACL recon coming up 24 Jan 2006

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: 2 weeks to go........
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 04:23:10 PM »
Amy,

Don't think that it matters what type of surgery you are having, surgery gives you butterflies and creates nervousness.  It happens to everyone.  By the way, welcome to the board.

If you look at the section called 'Rehab Dept' - 'Post-Op Diary' you can find diaries from people that had this surgery and get info and chat to them.....

Here is a good site that explains acl surgery..... http://www.aclsolutions.com/surgery.php

Good luck and let us know how everything goes.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT