Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral release.....  (Read 1700 times)

Offline jonlooney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral release.....
« on: January 07, 2006, 01:41:27 AM »
I am new here and want to thank you in advance for the assistance.  I own a construction company and fell off a house approx. 20 ft and landed on my left knee area.  For several months, I visited my orthopedic surgeon who had fixed my shoulder.  He never could find anything wrong with my knee but it was hurting me really bad.  Finally, after about 6-7 cortisone injections, he decided to scope my knee and see if he could find anything.  Afterwards, he told me that he had performed a lateral release of the miniscus and that basically, he had taken that out of my knee.  Then after several months of me wondering why I have this persistent knot of fluid on the side of my knee, he told me that he had removed the side area of the capsule of my knee.  This resulted in the lubricating fluid within my knee, being shifted to the outside and into the extracellular space whenever my knee bends.  I have a constant fluid knot on the side of my knee about the size of a golf ball and sometimes it is bigger.  My surgery was 18 months ago and he keeps telling me it will go away but it hasn't.  I wonder how long my kinee can go without the lubrication that is leaking to the outside ?  I fail to see how the scar tissue will "seal" the area if the fluid is constantly going in and out......  What do I do ??  Is this normal ?  Does anyone else have anything remotely close to this  ???  Thanx again

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Lateral release.....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:22:28 PM »
Hi,

Sorry about your accident.  Think that if I were you I'd be seeking the advise of another OS.  Go to your GP and get a referral to another OS who specializes in knees and get a second opinion. 
Good luck and let us know how everything goes.  ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »
Hi Jon

I totally agree with Shade, I would get a second opinion from another OS ASAP, as this OS seems to be fobbing you off.

I hope you get some relief soon from your pain, good luck Jon and let us know how you are getting on.

Deedee
*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

cholt

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 03:36:39 PM »
Hi Jon,

I too have to agree with the others and say to go get a second opinion with an OS that SPECIALIZES IN KNEES! 

I had both, a lateral release and a partial meniscectomy.  I have never heard of a lateral release of the meniscus.  He probably meant that you had the same as I did.  When they do a lateral release, they cut the retinaculum.  Here are a few sites that you can go to and get more  info:

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/lateral_retinacular_release
 lateral release detaches patella from lateral soft tissue structures, including lateral retinaculum,
          fibers from tensa fascia lata muscle, & joint capsule;
          - a successful release should release the lateral patellofemoral ligament and the lateral patellotibial ligament

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/lat_release.html

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/tn7340.asp?navbar=tn7305

This is an excellent site for meniscus injuries and other knee problems:
http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/overview.asp

I had my surgery on this knee in July of '05.  I still have swelling, but not the size of a golf ball. 

Hope this helps!  Make sure you talke all x-rays, MRI films, surgery films, etc. with you to 2nd Doc!  Good Luck, keep us posted.

Cindy

Offline Cindysphynx

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 07:15:41 PM »
Whoa!  It's way past time for a second opinion.  Something's not right.
partial meniscectomy and plica ressection -- Sept. 05
chondromalacia patella -- Jan. 05

Offline tamter

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 12:55:24 AM »
I would definetly go to 2nd OS I had the same problems if you want you can do a search for my post on tamter and you will see.  The effusion I had grew to about the size of a tennis ball and my 1st OS said it was normal.  Well I knew something wasn't right found 2nd OS and he had to remove the effusion which was a synovial cyst which can lead to an infection very easily.  I would definetly get to another OS ASAP...  If you need to ask me anthing don't hesitate.  Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline jonlooney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 02:42:38 AM »
I appreciate the response and will be seeking another physician.  We have several close to us that specialize in the area and service the Ga Bulldog football team.  I do remember my OS sating that he had to take out the side of my knee to get in behind the kneecap and "grind down" the padding ?  I really don't know but I don't think it's right.  Thanks for all the help on this issue...

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 08:35:06 AM »
Jon,

I think you're on the right track, and your instincts will rarely lead you in the wrong direction when it comes to decisions like this.  I also wanted to suggest that you make sure that in addition to treating famous/college level athletes, the doctor you see for a second opinion also specializes in tough knee cases and articular cartilage problems.  Especially people who have already had surgery, or who have chondral lesions/damage.  Here's a very reader-friendly yet informative web page on the issues I think you are describing:  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/knee_chondral/overview.asp  And here's one on meniscus problems, in case that is what your doctor described removing:  http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/overview.asp  It would probably be a good idea to get your operative notes and any clinic observations (like the instructions to your physical therapist), so that you can get the full medical terms for what was done to you.  That will probably shed a lot of light on the subject!

If you want opinions from doctors specialized in articular cartilage problems/repairs as described in the first web page above, there are a couple of great doctors in Atlanta and other parts of Georgia.  Dr. Scott Gillogly had a great track record of dealing with areas of damaged articular cartilage, which it sounds like you have (that would be what your doctor spoke of 'grinding' down, a procedure that is also known as chondroplasty).  http://crcamerica.com/gilr.html  You're very lucky to live so close to him (if you are in GA, which I think you are), as people travel from all over to get his opinion on their knee issues.

Also, several people have recommended doctors at the Hughston Clinic (in Columbus, GA), which was set up by a pioneer in knee surgery.  http://www.hughston.com/  They deal with tough cases and referrals of people who have had unsucessful surgery in the past.  So consider checking them out as well.  I have no doubt that the doctor who treats the Bulldog athletes is great, but he/she may specialize in sports injuries, and it sounds like you have a very different problem.....I just say that because I saw the team physician of our pro baseball team, but he really didn't specialize in my type of problem.  Anyway, it's just something to think about, which you may or may not want to consider.  Wish I had...hindsight is 20-20 and all that.

Good luck and let us know how things go with the second opinions.  I think you definitely need a fresh perspective on what could be causing your pain.

Heather
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 08:44:17 AM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline jonlooney

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 07:37:33 PM »
Thank you for the help

Offline rodrigo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:47:21 AM »
What ever happened with your second opinion?  I was waiting last year to hear what went down and got lost from the board for a while.  My knee was killing me for 3 years and after 3 opinions about surgery, I finally found a doc to LISTEN to me, and he (Dr. Jon Hyman)  figured it out and helped me resolve it without the surgery.  I  knew it was a good sign when I went into his office and there were people from different countries in the waiting room.  Dude, people come from all over.  That group is amazing. They have internationally recognized doctors and Harvard trained docs and cartilage repair experts etc.  If you are anywhere near Atlanta, and still having problems, you should treat yourself to the best. www.atlantasportsmedicine.net

Most importantly, I was able to rehabilitate my knee with reverse plyometrics, an underwater treadmill, neuromuscular stimulation and a compound rub to deaden the irritated nerve endings.  I did have one injection in the knee, and yes, it hurt, but after years of pain, I was happy to have the relief!  Anyway, I hope you check back in and give some follow up on your saga.

comrades in arms.

support