Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteochondroma  (Read 1290 times)

SL99

Osteochondroma
« on: March 18, 2003, 02:36:00 PM »
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience of osteochondroma tumours. I had one removed from my right tibia when I was 13 as it was large enough to be aggravating my knee problems.

It started to develop when I was about twelve, and i just put it down to my running and part and parcel of my already sore knees. But it got bigger and became painful so I was sent to the OS to get it checked out. At first they assumed it was Osgoods, but the lump wasn't quite in the right place, so they took hepas of x-rays and scans before finally realising it was actually a bone tumour of some sort.

I had it removed in a pretty painful operation and thankfully it was a benign Osteochondroma, that I've since found out in my case was probably caused by my underlying, but as then undiagnosed connective tissue disorder. Although that wouldn't have lead to a diagnosis as they normally occur independently.

I have never had a full recurrence of the tumour but it has regrown a little and left the area of removal slighlty weakened and lumpy as a result.

Anyway, I was just curious as to whether anyone else has had an osteochondroma around the knee joint at all? Thanks for any replies - my curiousity is just running amok at the moment sorry!  ::)

Love......Jo
xx