Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ROM after TTT Surgery  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Lori

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Super Lori :-p
ROM after TTT Surgery
« on: July 16, 2002, 12:16:08 AM »
Hey Everyone!
I was just wondering if you could help me out. I am 8 weeks post op from TTT and my PT says he's dissapointed that I don't have full ROM yet...even though I have only been in PT for one week!!! I went in at the beginning of the week with only 70 degrees of ROM and finished the week out with 130!!! Huge improvement. However, my PT was not satisfied and feels I am very far behind becuase I don't have full ROM yet. I am having so much trouble getting those last 10 degrees!!! No matter how hard I push it and stretch it out..the knee just won't bend anymore...It's so frustrating. Is it possible that I will never get full ROM back?? Or is it too early to tell? Has anyone else had extreme trouble and excruciating pain getting the last bit of ROM back? Getting to 130 is incredibly painful...but when PT is basically sitting on my leg putting it there..well not much I can do but scream!!! Luckily, he can't force it back to 140 yet...no matter how hard he pushes!!! It's almost as if something is blocking the knee from going that far while he pushes.  Any suggestions on how I can get that tiny bit back?? I don't think its a scar tissue problem...but I'm not sure. I'm just worried I will never get it back.

Thanks in advance,
Lori
« Last Edit: April 23, 2003, 08:55:21 AM by PFS_Mod »
12/00 Plica Excision(L)
7/01 LR(L)
5/02 Distal Realignment with Oblique Osteotomy(L)
9/02 Cortisone Injection(L)
12/02 Garbage Removal (Shredded Tissue,etc) B/c My Kneecap Was Not Even Visible(L)

Iona_-Uk

Re: ROM after Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 10:54:50 PM »
Hi Lori

I've been lucky enough to get to 90 degrees today!

I started last week just putting my knee a little further than comfortable and holding for 5 seconds.

My PT has warned me that it may take 12 weeks for me to be able to get to 140 degrees and he will help.

I personally would tell your PT you understand that your ROM isn't as good as they woul expect but explain that you will take PT at a pace you feel comfortable with and about your illness which could account for you not reaching their expectations.

iona

Offline Georgie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • TTT right leg Sept. 00 and TTT left leg June 02
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2002, 02:31:27 AM »
Lori~
It sounds like you are doing well to me.  I am at 75 degrees and hopping to be at 90 by friday.  ROM can be very slow going it doens't mean you won't fully recover it just might take time.  I would talk to the OS if you are worried you are behind schedule.  I hope things get better and hang in there.  Like Iona said I just push my knee past the comfortable position and hold for 5 to 10 seconds.  Take care, Georgie

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2002, 07:12:20 PM »
Hey Lori.

You and I are about the same length of time post op TTT.  Mine was 8 wks. ago today.  I saw my os on Tues. and he gave me the ok to wean myself off the Bledsoe brace and begin PT.  I started yesterday.  PT said that my ROM is already at 120 and that 130 to 135 is normal; 140 is a REAL stretch (pardon the pun, LOL)!!!  I have really had to work hard since the day after the surgery to get to this point.  (I could unlock the brace and do this exercise only)   So don't despair; it will come back, but your entire leg has taken a huge trauma and it isn't going to come back overnight!!!(Granted I have no quad muscle, in the PT's words 'it's mush' and it will take a long time for it to come back.)  I have appts. through August; PT says at least 2 months.  ???  Yikes!!!

My knee is really wobbly and it kind of hurts under the kneecap to walk and bend, but PT assures me that its because the quad muscle has all but disappeared and will come back!!! :)

Keep up the good work; stay positive!!

Sharon
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Stacey

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 09:51:51 PM »
I am 5 weeks post op from a leteral reconstruction.  My brace will only allow me 90 degrees and i am at that point now.  Weird thing for my recovery is that i was not allowed to force my knee to bend but if it bent naturally like while walking or lying down that was okay.  This has allowed me to get the 90 degrees without excrutating pain.  I know this is different from a TTT but also has similarities in recovery i think.  I start PT in 2 weeks im just hoping they dont make me push it too hard.

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 07:15:26 PM »
Stacey

Lateral Release and TTT are procedures to treat the same problem, but in TTT, the tibia is actually fractured during the procedure and screws inserted.  The 8 weeks in a straight leg brace is to allow the bone to heal and not do any further damage.   That's why ROM at the end is SOOOOO hard!  

Hopefully your lateral release will do the trick and you won't have any more problems! ;)

7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Stacey

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 07:54:57 PM »
Opal
I had a lteral reconstruction not a lateral release which are two completly diffferent procedures.  What I had included suturing the tissue around the knee together due to my knee maltracking both laterally and medially after a failed LR.  Mine has ihnvolved 1 week in a brace with no movement, 3 weeks at 0 - 40 and 3 m ore weeks at 0 - 90.

Offline Danielle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2002, 03:22:17 AM »
I had a TTT 2 1/2 weeks ago and I have 90 degrees and I am full weight bearing with a brace for only another two weeks. My OS wants me at 100 by July 29th and I almost laughed in his face!! I feel a lot better now that I know EVERYONE has trouble with ROM!!

~*~Danielle~*~
I had a modified Trillat TTT and LR done on 6/26/02
Original injury in October of 1998 due to a horseback riding accident