Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 15 year (L) and 13 year (R) post ACL recon  (Read 1984 times)

Offline lilhippie1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
15 year (L) and 13 year (R) post ACL recon
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
I thought I would post this because I seem to be a little unique in the fact that I had my first ACL recon 15 years ago and my second one 13 years ago.  So I thought you guys might be interested to find out what it might be like for you more than a decade after your surgeries!  I hope things go as well for you all as they have for me!

I'll start with the bad first.  I still don't have full sensation on the outside half of my knees.  But this is kind of a good thing since I'm rather clutzy and run into tables at a pretty alarming rate.  So when I bruise myself I don't really feel it!  Anyway it's difficult for me to kneel for long periods of time because of this.  My only other "problem" if you would call it that is I also can feel my right knee slip slightly at times but it's nothing that I would call substantial or probably even significant.  And the scars of course but whatever I'll just never be Ms. America.  ;-)   

Now we'll move onto the good.  I am able to do everything that I was doing before my surgeries.  Ok, except the soccer but that's more a function of my age now than my knees.  I played soccer for quite a while after my final reconstruction however.  My knees don't swell up anymore or cause me pain and I have full range of motion.  I'm not afraid of getting bumped on the street or falling down and as a matter of fact most days I don't even think about the fact that I had both of my knees operated on.  I can't feel the screws or the grafts and my knees just feel normal now rather than surgically repaired.  You know that feeling you have that you're knee is just not "right" anymore.  Eventually it just becomes normal.

Anyway, it sucks at first, it really does but in the end you'll probably get to a point where your surgery and the pain you endured really becomes a memory and an interesting story to tell your friends and family.   
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination. --Oscar Wilde