Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Numbness by scar site  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Numbness by scar site
« on: July 27, 2002, 03:42:54 AM »
I'm 2 and a half weeks post-op from a distal realignment and I've noticed that I have a numb spot right next to the incision that goes from the bottom of it up to the middle of my knee.  It's on the lateral side of my knee if that makes any difference. My PT says its nerve damage from the surgery but will it ever go away? It's such a strange feeling-I really hope it will go away. If it will go away, how long does it typically take? Thanks for any help or advice!

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Numbness by scar site
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 04:32:08 AM »
 :-/  I hate to tell you that I have quite a large area lateral to my incision that has not gotten the feeling back. I can feel that I am touching the leg but ever so lightly.  I was told it could take 3 - 6 months to get the feeling back but nothing guaranteed!!

Feel Better !

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline Deborah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 05:39:15 AM »
Unfortunately, it's the price we pay for having open knee surgery.  I've had 8 on my left knee, and my numb spot covers quite a large area, and contributed to a burn i got at PT when i was given moist heat.  My current PT says it was the PT's fault because they did not put a double layer of toweling between the heating pad and the knee,

The numbness comes back with some people, and I'm sure my large area is there forever because of so many open procedures: my main scar is 14", then a 3" where i had an open LR, and a little scar (~4") off to the side where my OS had to make an additional cut because he could not find the screws  from my TTT that I wanted removed when i had my patellar arthroplasty.

Remember, be careful with both ice and heat on that numb spot.  Ice for only 20 minutes at a time, and pay attention to the moist heat, using enough layers of protection between your skin and the heating pad.

good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2002, 08:44:23 PM by admin »
Manip arthro adhes 1/02; TKR 10/01; vmo rep, med reef, chondro, LR 11/00; pat resurf LR 2/00; arth let meisc (80%)1/99; TTT, chondro 8/98; LR(open), med menisc, chondro 6/97; arth med men, OCD les rem

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M & L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 07:47:12 AM »
I have a numb spot near one my arthroscopic incision points on the medial side of the knee.

I think it is starting to get better, but I first noticed it when I shaved the first time after surgery.

Khaoskat

Offline Allison

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2002, 09:36:26 AM »
I think I can only echo what you have already heard.I have quite a large numb area extending beyond the actual scar.  :-/To be quite honest...it has become a small worry. You get used to it. Be careful shaving!!It is also strange if you get cut or hurt in the place you are numb. Just remember, it is a small price to pay if the surgery was sucessful!!
Take care and take it slow!! :-*
Allison
Lateral release 1983
Arthroscopic  to diagnose problem1995
high tibial osteotomy 1996 due to osteonecrosis

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2002, 04:50:07 PM »
I can only sympathise with you about this numbness.

I've got it on all the scar areas (5 in total) and all down the lateral release site. Medial side is better though.

It is unfortunately relative common after surgery as although surgeons can avois major nerves the micro nerves anre almost invisable to the naked eye and these are associated with feeling, it may be that you willbe the feeling back as soon as the nerves have knitted back together or you may be left with partial or total numbness around the area.

As far as my experience goes, I had numbness over the incision site for about a year after my first knee operations but slowly the feeling did come back, not suddenly but very gradually. I only noticed it when I tried to touch the scars.

Iona

Offline Lori

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Super Lori :-p
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2002, 09:48:33 PM »
Hi Sharon!
As you know I had the same surgery as you...and I also have the numbness. Mine is on both medial and lateral sides and goes pretty much from the top of my scar to the bottom...all the way across my leg. So basically I can't feel that whole block right there. I was worried about it too when it didn't go away...but you really get used to it. I have already cut myself shaving there pretty bad but didnt even feel it. As for an electric razor..dont use it anymore cause it has that spot vibrating for hours!!! LOL. I'm 10 weeks post op and still just as numb...so I figure i'll be stuck with it for while!!! But believe me you will get used to it. The only prob I have now is my itchy knee since its healing...when I scratch I can't feel it...LOL. I also have where if I touch one spot on that numb areas..I will feel it somewhere else down my leg. It's very weird. I'm not quite sure what that is..so I'm gonna post to see if anyone knows. Other than that...just wanted to say it is pretty normal..so try as best as you can to ignore it till it goes away!!! I was pretty freaked about it right after surgery too. Take care and glad you are doing well!!! E-mail me if you need too!!!

(((HUGS)))
Lori
12/00 Plica Excision(L)
7/01 LR(L)
5/02 Distal Realignment with Oblique Osteotomy(L)
9/02 Cortisone Injection(L)
12/02 Garbage Removal (Shredded Tissue,etc) B/c My Kneecap Was Not Even Visible(L)

Offline Danielle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2002, 12:51:48 AM »
I am 4 weeks post-op on a TTT and my incision is numb too. Only on one side though so it's very weird. Also, if I touch the numb spot I feel it on the back of my leg. You will get used to it. My OS said it's most likely permanent >:( The funny part is when he pushes my knee to a new ROM and my knee hurts even in the numb spot. Figures...Oh well.

~*~Danielle~*~
I had a modified Trillat TTT and LR done on 6/26/02
Original injury in October of 1998 due to a horseback riding accident