Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: KTee-- Good luck with surgery  (Read 16596 times)

Offline Jaci

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
  • User's Text
KTee-- Good luck with surgery
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:00:40 AM »
Hi Kelly,

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

I didn't check weather.com, but hope the weather cooperated and you made it safely up the mountain to Vail.

You're in really good hands. All you have to do is show up and everyone at the surgery center will take good care of you. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Take care.

Jaci
10/03 Twist injury
12/03 Menisectomy- tears ACL, MCL, & LCL missed by OS
Arthrofibrosis ROM 38-68
3/04- 4/08 Multiple scar tissue procedures:
6 scopes w/LOA, AIR, LR, chondroplasty, synovectomy, bone spur & plica removal
3 insufflations, many injections
Chronic AF, patella infera, IPCS

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: KTee-- Good luck with surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:34:34 AM »
Kelly:

I must not have been paying attention, and didn't realize you were having surgery now. Thanks, Jaci, for reminding us. And Kelly....good luck!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline TracyS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 12:42:52 AM »
Kelly,

I too hope you made it up there in plenty of time for your pre-op.  That highway can indeed turn nasty on a moment's notice.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed this surgery will do the trick for you and that you will be back to skiing next year!

Good luck!!

Tracy
left knee: '90-ACL recon, '91-tibial screw removal
right knee: 12/00-ACL recon, lateral meniscus repair, 3/01-LOA, 10/02-patella tendon LOA, bone spur removal, tibial screw removal, 4/04-joint, patella tendon, pes anserinus tendon LOAs, 5/05-LOA, AIR, synovectomy, chondroplasty, loose body removal

Offline KTee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:37:27 AM »
Thanks everyone!
The roads weren't as bad as they predicted, but the snow...HOLY COW!  I don't know if I've ever seen this much snow up here this time of year before!  There are 10 foot high piles of it all along the parking lots and walkways; there's just no place to put it all!  Boy, I can't wait to test out my crutches on this stuff! :P  I still can't believe I'm staying in a ski condo in Vail during the best early ski conditions in 20 years...and I can't even ski!  When I was in the waiting room at the Steadman-Hawkins clinic, I was watching the skiers coming down the mountain...it put a lump in my throat, and I'll admit I was feeling pretty sorry for myself.  Some of my best memories have been skiing down that mountain...
But as soon as I got in to see Dr. Steadman, I immediately felt better.  He is so kind and gentle...it is very comforting to know that he is my surgeon.  He is going to try to see how much ROM he can get by doing an arthroscopy first.  Then, if he is not satisfied, he will do an open posterior capsular release.  My surgery is scheduled for 10:30 am.  If I end up with the open procedure, I'll have to stay overnight, so I may be away from my computer for a while.  But I'll keep you posted as soon as I can...
Thanks again for your well wishes...
Kelly
4/04:  ACL recon - patellar tendon
ROM  20 to 80
Diagnosis:  arthrofibrosis
6/04-7/05:  5 scopes incl:  LOA, MUA, AIR, LR&MR
ROM  15 to 90
1/06:  LOA, open posterior capsular release
ROM  5 to 120
6/06:  LOA

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 09:11:35 AM »
Kelly,

Fingers, toes, and everything else is crossed here for you.  I still hold out hope that you will wake up and be able to bend your leg.  Stranger and less likely things have happened.  I really think you have a severe mechanical blockage--remove the block, and the ROM will be back.  It might take a few days or weeks, but you will get it back. 

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow morning...and remember, the ice spikes are fantastic on ice, but really crappy on tiled/linoleum floors!  And the entrance to the hospital/PT clinic is the worst, least plowed and untreated area of slick ice and snow I've ever seen in my life.  I think they see it as a revenue generator, sometimes!  I literally watched a woman break her leg in front of my very eyes on a patch of ice and packed snow right as she stepped off the curb onto the 'pavement' as she left the hospital.

Anyway, be careful.  It's a jungle out there--of ice and snow, apparently.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning, and asking for Steady to live up to his name and cut the scar tissue out with a sure hand.  You are truly being treated by the best of the best, and his skill is only matched by his compassion.  You are going to do great.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline hottubpam

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:27:19 PM »
Kelly,

Let me just add my good thoughts and very best wishes for a successful surgery.  I'm optimistic this will start you on the road to recovery.

I totally relate to your longing to be "on the mountain".  This is my 3rd season of "sitting it out".  Although I did get up twice at the end of last season.  The thought of getting back up there is what keeps me going (that and the fantastic Dr. E.).  My local resort has a base of over 12 feet, so we are having an awesome season too.  If it helps at all - I share your pain - not just arthrofibrosis but the desire to get back to skiing.

Stay strong, stay positive and let Dr. S and his staff work their magic.

Pam
ACLR, Menisectomy 3/04; ACL resection, Cyclops lesion removal, LOA & MUA 10/04; LOA, LR & AIR 12/29/04;#4&5 surgery on 2/9/05 & 3/2/05 debridement, irrigation & lavage, portal closure; #6  LOA, AIR, LR & other releases 12/9/05; #7 surgery 1/18/06 portal closure, lavage, debrid etc #8 skin graft 3/06

Offline lefthand50

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 07:33:02 PM »
Hey Kelly, just missed you - I just left!  Everyone up there has been talking about how awesome the snow is.  Hope the roads are smooth and clear and the surgery goes the same...
5/04, ACL recon, MCL, PCL sprains.  7/22 MUA.  9/20 LOA w/ MUA.  ROM 20-80 cold.  Steadman surgery July 20.  Follow along at http://bendthatknee.blogspot.com

Offline jim mac

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 08:54:48 PM »
Kelly,
Sorry I didn't get to this thread before you went in for surgery.  I hope your surgery goes well.  Let us know as soon as you can.  Good luck!

Jim
2005 - 3/4 arthroscopy meniscus repair + plica removal, 3/9 staph infection 2nd scope (lavage), 3/12 open incision (lavage), 3/13 cauterize vein + lavage, 3/17 lavage and incision closure, -  Arthrofibrosis -  6/24 debridement, LR, MUA - 10/12 LOA + synovectomy 2006 . . .

Offline KTee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 05:45:49 AM »
Well, I can't believe I'm actually going to say this:  I'm having the time of my life!
First of all, the Vail Valley Medical Center and SH Clinic are First Class.  My every need was met from beginning to end.  It was like a well-oiled machine.  Dr. Steadman did have to do an open posterior capsular release on my knee.  He said that he was very pleased with the results.
I am having a ball in the Howard Head PT clinic!  My therapists are Dirk and Luke.  Luke has been traveling around the world for the last six months with the US Ski Team, but took the month of January off to rest up for the Olympics.  He will be leaving for Italy the first of February.  He is in the clinic until 7pm, so I'm not really sure what his definition of rest is!
My therapists feel good about my knee...my ROM is near functional--2 to 118 on my own (hyper-extension with help).  Luke could tell how much I was enjoying the bike today, so he said I could have an extra five minutes, but that I couldn't stay on it all day!
Overall, my knee feels better than it has in the last year and a half.  Even with a three inch incision on the medial side of my knee, I have not had to take a single pain pill since my surgery.  I did have a femoral nerve block, which didn't wear off until the morning following surgery.
I will be staying in Vail until the 17th.  I have four sets of friends tag teaming so that I don't have to stay alone.  All I requested was that they warm up my car and brush off the snow on their way to the slopes, and cook for me...tonight I enjoyed a fabulous grilled salmon dinner!
Well, the snow has stopped and the days are sunny.  It is absolutely beautiful here.  I will keep you posted on my progress...
Kelly
P.S.  Lynn--your friend, the LA Dodger, took his Sports Test today to clear him for training.  He was really disappointed to find out you weren't here this week.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 06:15:28 AM by KTee »
ROM  20 to 80
ROM  15 to 90
ROM  5 to 120

Offline lefthand50

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 06:09:15 AM »
That's awesome Kelly, glad to hear the good news and continued success...
5/04, ACL recon, MCL, PCL sprains.  7/22 MUA.  9/20 LOA w/ MUA.  ROM 20-80 cold.  Steadman surgery July 20.  Follow along at http://bendthatknee.blogspot.com

Offline Jakem

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 01:47:43 PM »
Sensational news!!

I am very happy for you Kelly!

Offline KTee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 08:56:16 PM »
Today, in the sweetest Australian accent I've ever heard, Luke told me, "Congratulations, you're at 122!"
Considering I NEVER thought I would ever see the other side of 120 again, this is HUGE!
Part of me is still afraid to get my hopes up too much, I'm nervous that I will wake up one morning and it will all be gone...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 09:01:13 PM by KTee »
ROM  20 to 80
ROM  15 to 90
ROM  5 to 120

Offline jim mac

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 10:16:49 PM »
Kelly,
Glad to hear that you are doing so well . . . you deserve it!  Keep working hard and you'll be mountain biking in the spring!

Jim
2005 - 3/4 arthroscopy meniscus repair + plica removal, 3/9 staph infection 2nd scope (lavage), 3/12 open incision (lavage), 3/13 cauterize vein + lavage, 3/17 lavage and incision closure, -  Arthrofibrosis -  6/24 debridement, LR, MUA - 10/12 LOA + synovectomy 2006 . . .

Offline IndyCelt

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 11:29:49 PM »
Congrats Kelly.  I'm glad your knee decided to go past 120.  I know what you mean about the fear of waking up one morning and having lost it all.  I wish I was there as part of the crew cooking for you ...that would mean that I would be ready to ski again.

122 today...It will be fun to see where it is in a few weeks.

Cheryl
2-1-2005 Exise of bipartite patella
2-21 and 2-23 clean out for Strep infection
10/3/05 Scar tissue resection

Offline lefthand50

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 07:34:32 AM »
Hey Kelly. awesome!   Just a quick thought, it's possible you'll drop down a bit over the next few days (although also possible you won't) - if it does happen, keep working through it, many folks are able to regain the bit they lost after some more hard work!  It's tough not to get discouraged when it happens, but keep pluggin regardless...