Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Only good for a week 'syndrone'  (Read 31728 times)

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Only good for a week 'syndrone'
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 06:19:40 PM »
Boydy,

Good for you - glad that you have made another OS appointment - all a person can do is keep trying - eventually there will be someone that understands.  Wow, you really have a long wait though.  Yikes!!

Heather,

Thanks for all the inspiration and knowledge that you bring to this site.  It is so wonderful hearing you speak about Dr. S.  It is great that you have finally found the right surgeon and physio. 

Karen,

Love your spunk..... Go girl go....
Hope that you do find an end to the tunnel in 2006. 

Hilde,

Think reading Karen's posts can really help you with ITBS.  Good luck and good stretching..... ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 10:32:41 PM »
Hilde, that is interesting about the foam roller, I have heard it mentioned before, so looked into it at the gym, they didn't know what I was talking about but suggested I use one of those foam rollers you use in the pool, so I bought one and cut it in half (to manage easier), but I find it really hard to roll onto my thigh with it. Any hints on how to use it, and is this the right shape and softness that you need,( maybe the roller I'm using is too hard)  ???
I'm gald the Pilates is working for you, thats it, I am really going to look into it TODAY !! I'm glad our posts have given you some 'info', I sometimes forget that other people are reading these, when I get on this site I just feel like I am writing a letter to some friends. ( Thats why sometimes they are so long, I get a bit carried away)  ;) 
Karen & Shade,  I love the way you express yourself,  there is nothing like a good sense of humour,  (especially on our  'down days' )  Thanks girls !!!   ;D
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 10:52:31 PM »
Boydy,

I've never heard of these foam rollers before but they do sound interesting.

http://optp.com/index.cfm/preset/Foam%20Roller%20Therapy

Seem to be many different types of these available.  Boydy maybe this site might help with the exercises.......

http://www.surfshot.com/items/magazine_item.html?context_id=224&item_id=466

http://www.runningtimes.com/04may/itb.htm

Good luck.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 11:30:16 PM by shade »

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 11:25:02 PM »
Shade, you can't roll on those little piddly things, girl! ;) (I'm just teasing!) The foam roller that you roll your body on for myofascial release is very thick and has little "give" -- those things for the pool (we call them "noodles" around here) are not the thing to use.

I will look for the link to the site I bought my foam roller from and get back to you...

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 11:28:46 PM »
Here's the link: http://store.yahoo.com/exertools/follerstm.html

You have to get the thick roller, and my PT recommended the longer length.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 11:32:13 PM »
Karen,

Thanks, I was looking for these for Boydy
Found this picture of the foam roller.....

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 11:40:23 PM »
Sorry about that, Shade -- I meant to direct the comment about rolling on the "piddly thing" to Boydy! It's been a long day!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 11:53:14 PM »
Karen,

Ha!! Ha!!  No problem.  Hope these foam rollers help you guys.  I've never seen them before, but then my PT does not even have a recumbent bike so, this should not come as any surprise to me.
Hope you gals have a great evening....  ~Shade

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 02:15:16 AM »
The right OS definitely makes a difference..my first..sounds kinda kinky...specialized in dancers and was from New York..unfortunatly he was unable to work with me due to changes in my insurance, so he referred me to my current one....this one did my op in 99..then new changes in my insurance sent me to a 3rd guy..IDIOT....so I changed insurance myself and went back to 2nd guy..he's good, but oldfashioned..but he has amazing assistants and interns...thanks to them and this site ans a few others we came up with the right combo..at least so far.....sooo...hopefully that PKR that I have in future is still a few years away.....

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 03:12:49 AM »
Gosh you girls crack me up !!    ;D   Yes, I see by the pictures, no wonder I was having trouble using 'the pool noodle'.!!!!   ::)  Thanks for those sites, (don't know how you keep coming up with these great things, I wouldn't know where to look   :-\ ) I'm a bit useless when it comes to the internet.  :P  I am getting in the car this very minute and going to search for one of those, they look great, and my whole outside of my thigh is sooo tight today. I've already warned hubby, that if I don't find one of these things he has to get that massage oil out. mmmmm.......  ;)
Shade, doesn't sound like you are having a very good day, chin up, maybe its the weather, hope things improve for you tomorrow.
Thanks again for the sites , am off to hunt for one of those roller thingys. Fingers crossed.  ;D
Boydy
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 06:04:13 AM »
Boydy,

I lived in a big city when first introduced to a foam roller, and I still had to order one online.  Actually, I found it online but my PT got a better price because he ordered in bulk, so I got it from the clinic.  I really don't know as you'll find one around town unless you go to some kind of medical supply house--they are pretty much used exclusively in PT clinics.  Maybe your clinic could hook you up?  I'm trying to remember where I found mine online--if I do, I'll let you know.  They are a miracle....the only bad thing about having an IT band release is that I'm not allowed to use mine for awhile.  My PT said until my next checkup, because they were 'intense.'  I'll say.  They are wonderful. 

If you can't find a foam roller, a swimming pool noodle will do okay.  Or buy a big, huge, cheap bathtowel and roll it up tightly.  Then, wrap it firmly in duct tape from top to bottom (obviously, don't do this to a towel you like or want to use as a towel again, because it will become a full-time ITB stretcher).  Voila!  Instant stretch-inducer.  It's better than nothing, and actually a fair substitute if you can really strap it up with duct tape.  Depending on how firm you can get it, the towel may offer more relief than a swimming pool noodle.

Also, if you can find practitioners around your area, a combo of acupuncture and myo-fascial release treatments (or ROLF or Heller massage) done within a few hours of each other is a huge help.  It basically controlled my severe ITBS for over two years.  But it got so bad, and tightened up again so consistently, that my surgeon decided to release the ITB.  It was a drastic measure, not one we decided on lightly.  But it was the right decision for me.  When they opened up the area around the ITB insertion point (lateral knee, below kneecap and lateral to the tibial tubercle/tuberosity), my surgeon said it was a whole mess of 'cobweb-like' adhesions--layer upon layer upon layer of scar tissue, likely from my lateral release.  Apparently, the ITB has to be manually retracted during the lateral release procedure, obviously with a small surgical instrument.  That's because the lateral retinaculum is underneath the ITB or something.  So anyway, mine was very irritated basically from the moment I woke up.  Either it was damaged or it just got really inflamed...then, my crazy immune system took over after that and just added inflammation on top of swelling on top of other junk.  It just never shut off.  And so I formed multiple layers of scar tissue, like perfect little pieces of tissue paper stacked one on top of the other.  They actually had a lot of trouble 'releasing' the adhesions during my procedure...basically, the surgeon's fellow reached in and did 'manual digital release.'  By this, I understand that he ripped the scar tissue out with his fingers.  Insert obligatory cringe of horror and wince of sympathy here. 

But the ITB release, combined with GENTLE myo-fascial release to make sure the area didn't scar up again, provided me with a lot of relief.  I'm starting to get some tightening, unfortunately, as I try to get back to work and be just a bit more active.  I'm torn on what to do about it...I need to live my life, but it's definitely causing pain and swelling.  But the ITB is much better than it was.  I still have a tight one on the 'good' right knee, though--so tight it tilts my kneecap out to the side.  Terrific.

Heather

PS Let us know how the great search goes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 06:21:12 AM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 08:23:23 PM »
Hey you guys...when I posted last I hadn't read everything...so my post came out kinda nutty..anyway regarding foam rollers..try ballet supply or dance supply like Dance Discount...we use them alot in ballet and I know that's how we get them at the studio..they also carry rubberbands for stretching and strenght..and Karen..great picture..I'm not computer savy enough to find pictures and links and then post them.....barely able to unload pictures from my camera and maybe e-mail them to friends and family....

hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 08:29:29 PM »
Oh my gosh..or oops I did it again....Shade, you found the picture...yeah that's how it goes... you lay down on the roller and go back and forth.. you can get the whole leg..sometimes it hurts so bad I can't put my whole bodyweight on it, but after a while it loosens up...we use them for backs and bellies and for stretching..etc...fun fun.....

hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 10:58:25 PM »
Hilde,
thanks for that, only place I have'nt tried the Ballet Studio, will try out that avenue, yes it does get a bit scrambled up sometimes when you miss reading some posts, I do that as well, I now have a book that I write how many posts I am up to, only way I can keep track of everything. :P
Heather M,
yes, you are right, I went on the biggest search and came up empty handed, I did try my PT first and they said they had them there to use but not for sale, will order one for me if I need to, but also went to Medical suppliers and she is my neighbour, so wanted the websites Shade & Karen gave to me, (she was pretty keen to order some as she thought they sounded really good,) so hopefully they won't take long to get here. But I was so keyed up to do it that day, and with the sites the girls found for me I was able to get a better idea on how these things are supposed to be used, so I did get the 'piddly pool noodle' back out of the cupboard and had another go, ( it was heaven, hurt, but you know that 'nice hurt'   ;) ) didn't work on some of the areas, ' too piddly'  but it gave me the idea of how  good the proper one will be.  :D
I did look into the myiofacial release after you mentioned it to me a few weeks ago, and I have managed to find a lady who does it, ( yay ! all is not lost in my fair town) I have had two sessions so far, (they are also, 'heaven & hell') !  But she has had a month off over the xmas break, so I am really hanging out for my appointment on Tuesday !  So thanks everyone for your advice, I am surely utilising all your good and valued experiences.  I think we could all band together, and write the most incredible book !!!!   ;D
Boydy
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 09:20:10 PM »

Hi Ladies,

Was just fooling around today trying to find out more about my knee as I'm going to see my surgeon again soon & found this picture.  I bent my knee to 90 degrees & contracted my quads & the lateral side of the right leg has huge dent about 6 inches or more long in the area of the red arrows in the picture - the iliotibial band area.  Maybe this is why I'm having problems with my knee subluxing medially..... Do you all have these big dents in the iliotibial band area?  You would think that my PT would have noticed this .....
Will let you know what happens at the os appointment.
Hope everyone has good knee day today.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 10:24:02 PM by shade »