Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Only good for a week 'syndrone'  (Read 31732 times)

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Only good for a week 'syndrone'
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2006, 03:50:17 AM »
Shade. how much mobility do have in the brace....it doesn't look like could dance in dance..although looks like my big time dancing days are over...
Boydy..knew you were in west somewhere..just didn't realize how far....Queensland..wow..never been...lucky to have been most everywhere in the world..dad was an airline pilot and we took turns traveling with him..though never to Australia...anyway..have any of you tried magnetics...some of my other ballerina friends who don't have too much kneeproblems swears they work..then again most things worked before LR on all of you.....guess if any of us comes up with something new.it'll be on here..until further..gotta put the kids to bed before Desperate Housewifes...

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2006, 05:43:02 AM »
Just a technical note:† there are two ways to do quotes.† The first, which is not what I think you want, is to put a passage (like from a journal or something) in a different text/font/indentation level to draw attention to it.† This is the same principle as underlining or making text bold--you either type the text commands to do this or you go up to the quote/bold/ital symbols above the text box and click on it.† I find it's easier to type the commands yourself, and once you get the system it's really simple.† Basically, the bracket key is the start of the 'command' to the computer, to let it know that what follows is going to look different.† So the first command will look like this {b} which means "start bold" or {quote} "start quote.† Of course, you won't use those funny curly brackets, you'll use the simple squared ones right next to the "P" key on the keyboard.† Then you type the text you want to quote, underline, or put in bold face.† Then, you have to tell the computer to stop doing this alteration of the text.† You do this with the / key, which shares a spot with the question mark (to the left of the right hand shift key).† So the command to stop bold text is {/b} (again, you have to use square brackets--if I type them, though, they won't show up.

The alternative is to use your mouse to click on the B, I, U, or Quote buttons above the little smiley faces.† That will insert the entire command {b}{/b} without any spaces wherever your cursor happens to be (usually in the end of your message, but not alwasy).† Then, you click between the sets of brackets and type your text.† Voila.† Bold, underlined, whatever.

HOWEVER, I think the quote you are talking about is when you read a message someone else posts and you want to include pieces of it in your reply.† So you click the "quote" command in the upper right hand of the particular message box in the thread, and your screen changes and a new message from you starts.† It begins with the brackets and the quote command, then a bunch of garbled symbols which make most people think they've done the wrong thing.† This tells the computer which text you are quoting--the computer-tagged message number by User X.† Don't be alarmed.† Simply read through the junk to get to the first words of the message that you have quoted.† Highlight and erase any text you don't want want to requote and erase it, but DON'T erase any of the computer junk (symbols and weird stuff) OR the actual quote commands {quote} or {/quote} because then it won't come out right.† When you have edited the previous user's message down to what you want to include or reply to in your message, then take your cursor and click in the message field AFTER the "end quote" command, which looks like {/quote} with square brackets.† Then, type your reply.

If you want to quote a bit of the other person's previous message, then reply, then quote again, all you have to do is use the "quote" command on that person's thread, then read through the quoted material until you get to the end of the first part you want to respond to...type the "end quote" command {/quote} and hit return, then begin your reply.† The rest of the other person's quoted message to you will be below your cursor, so it will be moved down as you type your response.† When you get to the part where you want to start quoting the other person's text again, type the "begin quote" command {quote} and go down to the end of the section you want to quote, then type the end quote command.† Or, if you are done with quoting the person's stuff, then just take your cursor down below the {/quote} command that the computer automatically put in for you when you hit the "quote" key in the other person's thread.

Does that make ANY sense.† The way I learned was by going to a post that had all the formatting I wanted--bold, quotes, etc.† Then, I would hit the quote button and it would generate a message from me with the other person's message quoted--and all the commands that they used.† I'll put some of this text in quotes and bold and you can hit the quote button and see what it looks like.† Then, just hit the back space on your internet explorer and it will all go away (as we have all learned to our dismay when we had a nice, long message and accidentally hit the wrong button!

Okay, so here I'm going to quote an article from MSNBC--I just highlighted and copied the text, then put the begin and end quote commands around it after I copied the text to my message here.† Or, hit the quote button (below the Red A and next to the bullet list above the smileys) and then click your cursor in between the sets of brackets.

Chronic pain frustrates patients, doctors
Too often, medicine canít pinpoint the cause

By Robert Bazell
Correspondent
NBC News
Updated: 7:36 p.m. ET Jan. 6, 2006

BOSTON - Tim Connick's problems started when he fell off a ladder and shattered his ankle. Years later, X-rays showed the injury should be healed, but severe, constant pain persisted so much that he contemplated suicide.

"It did eventually get to the point where it [wasn't] worth it anymore," Connick says.

Dr. Edward Covington, who directs the chronic pain program at the Cleveland Clinic, says depression often accompanies chronic pain.†

"Typically, the people that you're dealing with when you're treating this syndrome are people who have spent the last three, four, five years of their lives on the recliner, watching television, dark room, no socialization, no work, no hobbies, no family life, no sex life," says Covington. "Their lives have literally stopped."

Connick says one of his biggest problems was his doctor did not believe he was suffering.†

"He would always say, 'Oh, I don't see any good reason for it. Everything looks OK,'" says Connick.

Dr. Covington says that is all too common.†

"I have had at least two patients in my career who came down with terminal cancer and were pleased," Covington says, "because now they had something that the doctors could see. I've had patients, any number of patients, say, 'I would give anything if I could bleed with this, then people would see it, they would know it's real.'"

Dr. Anne Louise Oaklander, a pain expert at Massachusetts General Hospital, says doctors have trouble treating chronic pain because it remains such a mystery.†

"To see a patient in front of you who appears to be in distress," she says, "particularly if it's severe, who's pleading with you to help, and you don't quite know what to do, this is difficult."

Often doctors find no solutions for chronic pain, but Dr. Oaklander managed to get Tim Connick's pain under control with a device implanted in his abdomen that sends electrical signals to his leg.

"I've got an extra 30 years now that I lost," Connick says.

Here I will put some of my text in bold:† chronic pain really stinks and bad knees should be outlawed

Same principle applies for underlining, putting in hyperlinks, linking to an image, etc.† Everything that you want to be 'formatted' differently has to fall between the sets of brackets that begin and end the command in question.† The commands are standardized, so {b} always means "begin bold" and {img} always means "insert image."

Hope this information helps.† It took a lot of practice and fooling around before I figured it out!† When you click on the 'bold' button, the computer unhelpfully gives you the whole command {b}{/b} and expects you to be born with the knowledge of HTML, so that you know you are supposed to insert the text between the brackets.† It doesn't work that way.† Oh, and by the way, don't do what I did and assume that if you highlight your entire message and then click the command (underline or whatever) button, that all your highlighted text will take on that format!!† On the contrary, all of your lovely, highlighted text will disappear and these will be visible in their place:† {u}{/u} (again, of course the brackets will be square).† Your message will be gone, and you will start cursing and wondering if your computer would feel pain if dropped from a high place....

Heather

PS If your message doesn't look right when you hit the 'post' button, hit the "modify" button and read through the text in the box, looking for stray commands in brackets.† Every "begin" command must be followed by an "end" command that begins with the slash key / or the computer won't know when to stop doing the bold or underlining, etc.† So they always have to be a matched set, and whatever is between the brackets will have the altered format.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 05:45:06 AM by Heather M. »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2006, 07:02:01 AM »
OMG !!!!!   I thought this was supposed to be simple !!!!  :o  I think I just may need a college degree to work this out !   :-\  Better still I might just give it a few days to try and sink in, give it another go later.  ;)  I told you all, I get confused easy these days ! :P  Thanks for trying Heather, I think I'm a lost cause.   :-[
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »
You're not a lost cause--no one was born with this knowledge!  Just try it out.  Print out the instructions, pull open a thread, and experiment.

If we see some blank posts from Boydy with computer code and nothing else, we'll just assume it's some quaint Aussie custom, like Marmite.   :o

Anyway, the shorthand version of my explanation is to find the post you want to quote, hit the 'quote' button in the upper righthand corner of the other person's post, and wait for a new message from you to appear with a lot of text already in the white message field.  Then all you have to do is click your cursor AFTER the last words of the person's post, and after the {/quote} bit of text (only you will see the square brackets).  Then you start typing.

Easy as pie.  In my big, long-winded explanation I was just going over some of the more complicated stuff, like how to quote and reply, quote and reply, and how to do bold face and insert images or links. 

Nothing's complicated when you take it one step at a time!  Sit down and play--have fun.  It won't bite.  Though I do confess that I actually NAMED my computer hard drive "the Evil One."  Seriously.  The icon is on my desktop... ;D

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2006, 10:18:59 AM »
LOL,  thanks Heather, I will give it another go. I'll surprise you one day, with a perfected 'quote'.   ;D
Boydy
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2006, 11:23:10 AM »
Hilde,

Hi, if you are still dancing this brace might not be the right thing for you. 
My kneecap subluxes everytime that I stand, so I need something to keep it in place always.  Maybe a good knee sleeve would be a solution for you.  There are some really nice ones on the market and there must be one that is just flexible enough in the leg, but strong around the patella that would work for you.  I've found the local pharmacy's home care sections have good knee sleeves.    ~Shade
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 12:01:48 PM by shade »
July '05†(RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06†(RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07†(LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2006, 04:36:50 PM »
Heather...OMG..I agree with Boydy...the way my computer brain works..it would be faster to type in anything than try that..but then again maybe it's time I tried something new...
Shade...wow you knees sublux every time you stand ..that's awful..both of them...yes I'm still dancing to a certain point... I teach little kids and beginiing adults...11 classes a week used to be 20..but you know..anyway...must be able to demonstrate things properly..can explain for the adults.. but little kids need to see to learn..so I must use both legs..right now I pull in older dancers to help out..or use the really smart onces to demonstrate..but that won't work in the long run...time to look for other things to do...sad as dance has been my life since I was 15....was also thing about how we all got this way...did most of you have accidents and got hurt or are these injuries from overuse or just plain old born with bad knees???

Hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Only good for a week 'syndrome'
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2006, 05:02:43 PM »
Hilde,

The brace I wear might work for you but I'm not sure.....

How did this happen to me, well my saga began with a bad fall off my horse and I landed on both knees and also completely dislocated my left elbow.....† My knees just got progressively worse after that incident.

Then, I've had numerous falls since then with my knees just giving out.† It is like my knees go numb and then I fall......

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2006, 05:16:34 PM »
Shade, I used to have a horse when I was young..tried riding a few years back, but could only manage for a little while  knee hurt like heck..my sister has a horse, he ran out with her the other day...scary...I was born with bad knees..leg and thigh bones not matching up..was told I could never do any sports..well I showed them...but now with all the things that have happened over the years ,..maybe they were right..however would have missed it for the world..but 42..is early for getting old..doc says my knee looks like that of a 70 year old...at least I can still get around....do you work...from home or other.....you know awful lot about knees and websites ..are/were you in the medical field or do you do alot of research...and by the way thanks to the sites you sent me to both before and after my op..they have been very helpful...

hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2006, 07:38:12 PM »
Hilde,

I find loads of articles at findarticles.com - thanks to Heather M. for that site.... also, you can google search and find loads of info.† †It just takes awhile to get used to how to search.....
Sorry you have had so many problems with your knees - it really gets discouraging sometimes.
Have a good day.....† ~Shade

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2006, 09:07:02 PM »
Hilde,
OK here I go again, 3rd time lucky?
[...time to look for other things to do...sad as dance has been my life since I was 15....was also thing about how we all got this way...did most of you have accidents and got hurt or are these injuries from overuse or just plain old born with bad knees???]
Yes I am also in that position, isn't it terrible that these things have to make you do something you aren't ready to do yet. I was a Kindy Assistant,(very manual work, lots of lifting, and up and down off the floor etc) was there for 15 years and LOVED it ! I am 44, so am not ready to retire yet, (but did have to give job away) and are now looking at trying something else, but can't stand or sit for more than two hours at a time, so that is very limiting. :-\
HEY,  I just took a peek preview, I DID IT,  :o  YAY,  there's hope for me after all ,( Thanks Heather & Karen:P
Mine wasn't any accident, that is the frustrating part, I was very active, walked climbed hills, did gym and Body Combat classes (arobics) and only a slight twinge every few months. Then one night at a friends 40th, I danced ALL night, (my favourite rock & roll music, so a lot of twisting was envovled), didn't hurt at all that night, but when I climbed into bed at 2am I noticed my leg was tight when I bent it to get into bed, next day onward I couldn't bend it! Tried everything, 6 weeks of PT ,then sucommed to pressure and had first surgery Arthroscope to fix miniscus tear, still no good 4 months later so they did a LR. That was 11 months ago and now have added problems,( I would say from surgeries, nerve damage, constant swelling if I weight bear, etc,) My 'medical' practitioners say I am one of the unlucky ones that has a body that reacts to any type of trauma or injury, my body (nerves etc) overreacts and sends wrong messages so overstimulates with swelling etc. ( Whole lot of ******* if you ask me, they just don't know what else to tell me) I have had heaps of different diagnosis, they just keep on guessing.  ::)
[Shade,.....you know awful lot about knees and websites ..are/were you in the medical field or do you do alot of research...and by the way thanks to the sites you sent me to both before and after my op..they have been very helpful...]
I agree with you there, I used to think the same thing, these people must be nurses or something, they are so knowledgeable, it has been a god send for me finding this site, these people, ( who I now think of as friends) have been way more helpful then any of the OS and PT that I have seen.
Ok have rambled on enough, take you forever to read this, better go before my time runs out and I loose the lot, ( happens often.)  :-X
Boydy
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2006, 11:21:13 PM »
Yeah, Boydy way to go...I got smiley faces  ;D and bold letter but that's about it.....anyway good luck with finding something that'll work for you..if you keep it up..something will get better..patience, patience...not one of my strong points when it comes to myself..went to Disneland  ;D today and walked alot and now my knee is tight and very tired.. :( have an appointment with a special PT  ??? tomorrow, so we'll see what she says..will put my leg up and relax the rest of the day as I don't have to teach today.....l

thanks to Heather for the websites then...

Hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2006, 05:03:39 PM »
GimpClub,

Hi Ladies!!! † No one has been on here of late & I wondered how everyone is doing?†

Made my little roadtrip and it was a total waste of time.† Doctor told me this time to disregard the pain-cycle and work through the pain as he thought it would not create anymore damage behind the patella anyway.† He said that the brace was a good choice and to wear 16 hr a day for pain relief from the subluxing patella.† He did say though that he thought all the pain came from the little lesion and not from two places that I mentioned.† Still I believe that the lesion hurts once irritated and also that the patella sliding off to the medial side creates pain.† He disagreed and said he would do no more surgery so he could not help me further.† I was surprised and asked about the patella being pulled laterally and sutured since my patella is 9 or 10 mm medially subluxed or the reconstruction of the lateral patellotibial ligament or the Hughston & Reece procedure that stabilizes the patella & he said these procedures would render me cripple.† Hmmmmm!!
So, I'm back to my own devices again and will join a club here and see if I can help myself.† I'm not ready to seek anymore surgeons advise at the moment since I can't take anymore conflicting statements.† Just want to see if with the help of the brace I can get my quads working and see if that will help any.† If I can handle the elliptical machine I'm going to purchase one for home use.†
Hope you gals have been doing okay and have more progress to report than me.†

Boydy nice seeing you on the Weather Girls.......† ~Shade
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 03:47:50 PM by shade »

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2006, 05:18:12 PM »
Shade, I think we've been commincation on one of Karen's other posts..how to keep in shape when inactive...seams like the same girls go there..I just posted a longwinded kinda frustrated one so read it there..sorry to hear about you wasted trip, but I'm sure you'll find a solution of some kind..starting to think of you as a "kneeguru"..like I said in my other post..my problems are pidley compared to yours and some others...anyway...got to go..running late for class and since running is not my strong point right now I gotta go...
post you later

Hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »
Hilde,

Managed to read your other post.  Don't think any knee problems are pidley & I often wonder reading some of the stories on here how lucky I am that I did not hurt myself worse.  Since I've found this knee brace things seem to slowly be changing.  Hilde - think you could wear this brace during ballet instructions.  I've really been wearing it for long periods of time lately and think it would be flexible enough for your needs.   You could check it out anyway.  http://www.djortho.com/products/DonJoy/patient/detail.asp?id=64

We all seem to be seeking answers and think it is a healthy approach to knee problems, giving up just isn't an option.  Know that no matter what - I'll never stop hoping that I'll be able to ride a horse again or ride a mountain bike.  It really bothered me being told my horseriding days are over and maybe mt. biking also.  I've only an LR surgery & giving up on a patient 6 mo post-op seems strange to me.  It seems negative & doesn't make sense, but I'll try to stop my ranting......

Guess it was a wasted trip in some ways, but I'm trying to turn it into a new beginning.  I've had 6 mo. post-op rehab with many conflicting opinions & now that is over & done with. 
Now, I'll try my way.....
Enjoy your class!!  Hope you have a great day.....  ~Shade