Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Only good for a week 'syndrone'  (Read 31706 times)

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Only good for a week 'syndrone'
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2006, 12:18:27 AM »
Just wrote a big thingy and lost it...page noit available...dang..anyway ..looks like everybody is having one of those days although I can't claim  myself one today...did 5 ballet classes without too much problem today...wanted to tell you about some excersize I've been doing and they seam to work..have not seen regular pt yet..only my pilates girl...she has me do wall squares and purse pushes....have you ever heard of these..will try to explain..but think I try posting this first then come back my daughter is screaming for me to change channels on tv

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2006, 12:27:46 AM »
I'm back...no more Spongebob...anyway wall squares...lay on the floor, feet on wall at knees at 90 degrees...move feet up the wall to a full stretch then move feet horisontal to hip weith, the come down the wall to 90 degrees and close feet together..repeat about 6 times then reverse motion...easy but works all thigh muscles...purse push..just because I use my purse is....sit back against wall legs stretch forward..put purse by ankle and move outward to about 40 degrees then moves purse by inside knee and close leg..ease..of caouse you can do this witha  machine at the gym, but I don't belong to one and as one of you said..most trainers won't touch any of us without a doc's notice....Mel..my trainer  also has me bouncing on one of them yoga balls...tall one so I can sit with my knees at 90 degrees and do 100 bounces..fun fun..using both quads and stomack without straining.....don't know if you already do these of something like it but it realy works for me..also at every session I use foamroller to loosen up..

good luck

hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2006, 12:31:21 AM »
Hey, Hilde, you don't happen to go to Gold's Gym, do you? That's where I used to belong, and one of the trainers was Mel -- totally gorgeous! That would be funny if we're talking about the same guy...as well as highly unlikely and a long shot (particularly if you live in another country). LOL!

I'm sure those are great exercises, but I don't think I'm even close to ready for those. Someday!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:34:46 AM by KarenS »

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2006, 02:42:27 AM »
No, sorry..Mel is short for Melissa....and those exersizes are really easy....you don't have to use any weight at all...only your own body..if you're able to streighten out your leg ..you'll be able to do these..if you're able to lift your leg..these are easy...don't know where you are, but if yoy're in California I can hook you up with great pilates intructors....

hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2006, 03:50:56 AM »
Karen,
thanks for that, yes all makes sense now. :P  Those short arcs are the ones that cause me grief somedays, (if I don't go painfully slow), I remember reading a post from Heather M somewhere, and she was explaining  to someone how to do it without pain, she talked about doing whole thing in about 4 or 5 steps and if you skipped from one step to another too quickly it really 'bites', so because of that bit of advice I have managed to stop pain (most of the time).
Hilde,
OMG, you can do ballet,  :o, 5 classes as well !!  How wonderful for you to be able to do something you enjoy. :D 
( I'm experimenting with this insert quote thingy, hope I get it right), when you do these ( just incase quote thingy failed, I'm talking about the wall squares) do you keep your bottom on the floor, I will give that ball bounce a go, I did a few just now to see how it feels and it does work the quads well, (but everything makes my knee swell so that will be the test.) Thanks for the input.
Boydy
Arthroscope to repair meniscus tear, 10/04
Arthroscope for Lateral Release & repair another medial meniscal tear, 2/05
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2006, 03:53:36 AM »
OOOOPs .  LOOKS LIKE I FAILED TO WORK THAT QUOTE THINGY OUT.  :-[   I'm hopeless at these things,  can anyone give me a quick  'simple' lesson  ???   
Boydy
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2006, 05:27:27 AM »
Hey Boydy, I can do those quote thingies either...wall squares...lay on you back close enough to put your feet on the wall at a 90 degrees angle (if you have that much flexion)keep your back and butt on the floor so you must engage stomach also...then slide feet up till legs are fully stretched then move out a bit smaller than hip weith and move down to 90 degrees or there about and then close legs...do this at a tempo that feels comfortable no more than 5-6 times then reverse..and yes I did ballet today..that is... not very good..but still..and my knee isn't that swollen...cut my surgery stocking up and use them as a brace....thermo brace are too tight and I can't use anything with metal in it for obvios reasons....think I'm gonna try to make my own brace from girdle material..something flexy, yet strong enough to hold things in..if you know what I mean.....do you guys wear a brace or something like that all the time..I have to otherwise my knee get too tight..as in swells..

hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
Hi Hilde,
ah, yes I get the drift now, (hence the square), I think I'll be able to give that a go, could work well because there is no weight bearing involved,( which causes my swelling). I did the 'purse' one tonight, but I didn't use any object, just sort of pretended I was moving something. Only did 5 because I have to add things to my program VERY slowly to monitor tomorrow if it is going to make it swell or not. Makes more sense that you did ballet with a sleeve on. It is amazing the things you can do with one of those on. I do not go ANYWHERE without mine, either on, or else in my bag , (just in case). Took the dog for a walk to the beach today, didn't put it on, ( vanity, I wanted my legs tannned)  :P  , but it was tough going and wasn't feeling too good,thought I would have to turn back, so I stopped and put it on, it was such a relief, I was able to go twice as far as I thought possible. Thanks for the input.
Boydy
"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2006, 01:03:58 PM »
Boydy, those knee sleeves used to be the only things that kept my sanity before I had my LRs. My OS couldn't understand why they helped me, but as soon as I put them on the aching/tired feeling I would get when standing and walking (from my tilted kneecaps) would stop. Oddly, no amount of taping would get rid of the problem, though. I finally resorted to the surgeries because there was no way I was going through life with knee sleeves on both knees, particularly when I was single and 22 years old! But they can definitely be lifesavers. I tried them again for this problem, and they do nothing.  :-\

BTW, to do quotes, copy what you want to quote, click the quote icon, and then insert your cursor right in the middle of the two sets of brackets. Then paste the text. Voila! :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 01:08:32 PM by KarenS »

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Only good for a week 'syndrome' or 'club gimp'
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2006, 01:14:52 PM »
Hi,

I used to wear knee sleeves all the time and my OS strongly recommends using them.  They do nothing for me now, except keep the leg warm - maybe just not enough anymore.  I wear a brace all the time (up to 16 hrs a day), but that is for the medial subluxing.  I also wear a lycra brace sock under the brace & it feels really wonderful.  I wear the brace sock  for those hours I am not wearing the brace - it makes my leg feel much better & it has not caused any swelling.   ~Shade
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2006, 08:46:51 PM »
Boydy,  you're obvisouly on the west coast ..the weather has been great and a tan...boy that really makes you feel better..don't care what they say..tan makes you look healthy..anyway..sleeves or no sleeves..I always wear something on my knee..oa is really bad so anything that keeps heat in makes my knee feel better...but before once I was warm I could take it off..
Shade..lycra sleeve..is it just lycra or does it have inforcements around knee cap or sides..my knee slides out medially..so any pressure on the inside makes it pop if I'm not careful...never painful, but very loud..I've done that all my life,way before there was damage too...maybe that's why..brace sock..do you get enough flexion with it on....?
Karen.. tried that quote thingy and also to bold your names..but I must be missing something on my computer, cause it just makes weird symbols

hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2006, 09:04:49 PM »
Hilde,

I slip medially and wear the DonJoy tru-pull brace to stop it happening..... the knee sock just keeps the brace from pinching and slipping.

Here is a writeup on the brace....

http://www.donjoy.com/index.asp/fuseaction/products.detail/cat/4/id/64

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:44:39 PM by shade »

Offline Boydy

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2006, 10:19:43 PM »
Hilde,
I'm going to give that quote thing another shot !
Quote from: misshilde link=topic=23450.msg174956#[quote
msg174956 date=1136753211 (This doesn't look good from here )  ???  Anyway,  I am from Australia, (sunny Queensland  8) ) Hence the tan,  ;).
Karen,
am going to have another go, 
Quote from: KarenS link=topic=23450.msg1748those knee sleeves used to be the only things that kept my sanity before I had my LRs48#msg174848 date=1136725438
  This is driving me crazy, but I am determined to get it ! Evertime I do it the whole post comes up and I have to delete all but whats in the brackets, ( is that right) Sorry, this is probably so simple to do, but I am hopeless with computers it has to be explained step by step, for my poor simple mind to follow.  ::)
Karen & Shade,
That is really interesting that the sleeves don't help either of you, (especially when they worked for you before your LR Karen.)  I just assumed they would help anyone with knee problems.  Shade I would have thought the sleeve would be good for you as the brace is working, ( to a certain degree ).  I suppose it proves we are all different and what works for some.............  :-\   
Boydy

"Time heals all wounds"
Gosh I sure hope so !!

Offline KarenS

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2006, 10:41:33 PM »
Boydy, I think they helped me before my LRs because they held my kneecaps in somewhat of a better position, so they somehow prevented the irritation that was caused from the kneecaps rubbing from the tilt. Now I don't have the tilt problem in either knee -- it's my ITBs that are tugging on my kneecaps when they get super-tight. So the sleeves do nothing. In fact, when I tried them on, I couldn't wait to get them off! When the ITBs are loose, I feel fine (other than the occasional pain in my right knee, which is the worse one, but that is because of the severe atrophy in my quads).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 10:44:16 PM by KarenS »

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Only good for a week 'syndrome'
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2006, 10:49:07 PM »

Shade, I would have thought the sleeve would be good for you as the brace is working, ( to a certain degree ).  I suppose it proves we are all different and what works for some.............  :-\   Boydy

To do quotes all you have to do is delete what you don't want and make sure that the [ quote .......] is at the front and the  [ / quote] is at the end......

The knee sleeves don't give enough stability, my brace does.  The buttress insert goes to the side of the patella to stop knee subluxing and this stops the patella from causing further damage behind my patella (I think).