Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Son with osgood schlatters  (Read 3918 times)

Offline wombraider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Son with osgood schlatters
« on: March 16, 2003, 03:23:02 PM »
 :-* hi im new here i have a son who will b 16 next month and has been told he has os good schlaters in his right knee, we dont know much about it just that its a tendon thingy doesany 1 know more about it and the pros n cons of it please. the pain was so bad yesterdaywe had to take him to our a/e and they xrayed it and said what it was - osgood schlaters - and gave him crutches and said take pain killers like normal but they r not working as much now and his got hospital appointment monday at fracture clinic which abit of luck we might know a bit more  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 01:41:12 PM by admin »

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
Re: son with osgood schlaters
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 10:44:20 PM »
I had Osgood-Schlatters from ages 10-13 (I'm now 25).  I'd be happy to discuss anything you might want to know, especially after you get some information from the links that KneeGuru directed you to.  Please either post things to the board or, if you'd like, send me a private message--I'd be happy to talk with you.

Emergency rooms aren't the best for knowing what to do with Osgood-Schlatters.  An orthopedic surgeon will be able to tell you more (is that what you meant by a fracture clinic?  If not, you may want to get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon).

In the meantime, make sure he ices the knee, stays off it until the doctor tells him it's ok to use it, and definitely make sure he does some straight leg lifts so that he doesn't lose muscle mass in his quadricep.

Good luck, and welcome!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline Michelle_Gr

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 12:05:05 AM »
Hey,
I have OSD in both of my knees, and I have done a great deal of research, and I think that I know just about everything there is to know about Osgood-Schlatter's Disease (OSD) so if there is anything you need to know, just ask.  Use my e-mail address or here at the board, but don't just make a post, I might not see it.  Hope I can help!!!
         Good Luck
                                         Michelle
I have maltracking and malalignment problems, Osgood-Schlatter's disease and will be having bi-lateral releases this year, most likely over the summer but I'm hoping sooner.  I am 14.

Offline carkencar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 09:37:10 AM »
 I have a 12 yr old son who has Osgood Schlatters. In Sept. it will be 2 yrs of suffering. THe doctors keep telling me that it will only last for two years.One year ago he wore a cast for 1 week it done wonders, until this past April when my son rode his scooter, Now we are back to square one again.   My family doctor tells me that OS does not damage the knee in side . Correct me if I'm wrong, if growing too fast causes the bone to pull away from your knee cap how can it not cause trouble when your older. I have knee trouble and I'm scared to death that my son will have the same problems, even though I hurt my playing sports,His OS saids that he can continue with all his sports and everday life.

Offline Newbie26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 03:49:33 AM »
Wombraider? funny, creative screen name, does that mean your a midwife?

Working on joining the Marine Corps sometime before my 28 birthday next May, Do you think the Doctor will disqualify me when he sees the large bumps on both knees???

I still have (the bumps) the soreness in the knees but have learned how to cope with it somewhat. I stand 6'6''. I 've noticed that all the cars that I've ever driven have the  same relationship from the cars' seat to gas pedal. as a result my legs dont have enough room to go straight under the steering wheel, like what smurfs do. but my leg has to twist, pointing to the right (gas pedal). also when walking I found that instead of letting my feet point outwards, I try to point them more straight in front of where im walking, that this helps my knee strain. but I still will always invariably get an ache if done too much.

A word of advice to pass on to the young-ins. when I was weight lifting in high school, I was using a stand up, slanted, squating hip sled, with 450lbs on my shoulders. which ended falling on me because I bent my knees too far and couldn't support the weight. which ultimately kept my knees compressed in a weird angle. so make sure your 16yr old doesn't use this type of heavy lifting.

Hey do u people think that since some cartilidge may be missing between a bone joint in the knee that's what's causing the inflammation? If so why can't they graft cartilidge, or for that matter, make synthetic cushioning and insert between these joints?